Single Season Records - OT sort of...

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
I was going to comment on Wilt as well.

Though I think Robertson would have the longest consecutive game streak of Triple Doubles, given he had 41 in one season. Could be wrong though. Bad luck on his part.

I remember Michael Jordan was 3 rebounds away from 11 triple doubles in a row in 1989 when they put him at point guard for a bit. In the 8th game of that stretch he only pulled down 7 rebounds. That year was ridiculous for Michael, as he lead his team in each of the 5 primary statistical categories (points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals). I don't think that's necessarily a record, but still damn impressive for a "smaller" player in the game at the time.

Jordan's record of 3 retirements in the NBA is pretty impressive :D His 41.0 PPG average in the 1993 Finals will probably stand for a while as well.

Wilt's 100 point game will likely never be broken. The game was a bit of a gong show. New York started fouling other players on purpose to stop Wilt from getting 100, so Philly started fouling on purpose as well to stop the clock to give Wilt more time. He was 28-32 from the free throw line that game. Not bad for a career 50% free throw shooter! 55 rebounds in a single game seems pretty high as well.

Probably not unbreakable, but Nate Archibald lead the league in both assists and points one year. No one else has done that. Steve Nash better pick up his scoring!

The 8 consecutive championships by the Boston Celtics will probably never be broken. Free Agency makes it too difficult.

It will likely be tough for anyone to contest Bill Russell for his 11 NBA championships. Especially since it was only in 13 years!

Malone came close, but I think people might have a hard time catching Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's all time point record. As a point of interest, Kareem was the first player that Wilt Chamberlain can remember feeling that he may need help to guard. Likewise, his minutes played will be tough to top. He played a lot for the Bucks and Lakers early in his career. Though I don't know if many will threaten Wilt Chamberlain averaging over 48 minutes a game (which is the length of regulation). The year he scored over 50 PPG, he only missed 4 minutes all season. So with OT games, he averaged more than 48 minutes per game.

Stockton has some with longevity, with assists and steals being difficult ones to top.

Wilt and Bill Russell get screwed over, but Hakeem Olajuwon has a healthy lead in blocked shots.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
In the NHL, asside from Hall's:

Henri Richard-11 Stanley Cups
George Hainsworth-22 shutouts in 44 games
Bobby Orr-139 pts by a d-man. 4 major awards in a single season, Norris, Hart, Art Ross and Conn Smythe in 69-70.
Bill Mosienko-3 goals in 21 seconds
Darryl Sittler-10 points in a single game
Teemu Selanne-76 goals as a rookie
Joe Malone-7 goals in one game
Gordie Howe-Playing pro hockey in 6 decades.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
I was going to comment on Wilt as well.

Though I think Robertson would have the longest consecutive game streak of Triple Doubles, given he had 41 in one season. Could be wrong though. Bad luck on his part.

I remember Michael Jordan was 3 rebounds away from 11 triple doubles in a row in 1989 when they put him at point guard for a bit. In the 8th game of that stretch he only pulled down 7 rebounds. That year was ridiculous for Michael, as he lead his team in each of the 5 primary statistical categories (points, rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals). I don't think that's necessarily a record, but still damn impressive for a "smaller" player in the game at the time.

Jordan's record of 3 retirements in the NBA is pretty impressive :D His 41.0 PPG average in the 1993 Finals will probably stand for a while as well.

Wilt's 100 point game will likely never be broken. The game was a bit of a gong show. New York started fouling other players on purpose to stop Wilt from getting 100, so Philly started fouling on purpose as well to stop the clock to give Wilt more time. He was 28-32 from the free throw line that game. Not bad for a career 50% free throw shooter! 55 rebounds in a single game seems pretty high as well.

Probably not unbreakable, but Nate Archibald lead the league in both assists and points one year. No one else has done that. Steve Nash better pick up his scoring!

The 8 consecutive championships by the Boston Celtics will probably never be broken. Free Agency makes it too difficult.

It will likely be tough for anyone to contest Bill Russell for his 11 NBA championships. Especially since it was only in 13 years!

Malone came close, but I think people might have a hard time catching Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's all time point record. As a point of interest, Kareem was the first player that Wilt Chamberlain can remember feeling that he may need help to guard. Likewise, his minutes played will be tough to top. He played a lot for the Bucks and Lakers early in his career. Though I don't know if many will threaten Wilt Chamberlain averaging over 48 minutes a game (which is the length of regulation). The year he scored over 50 PPG, he only missed 4 minutes all season. So with OT games, he averaged more than 48 minutes per game.

Stockton has some with longevity, with assists and steals being difficult ones to top.

Wilt and Bill Russell get screwed over, but Hakeem Olajuwon has a healthy lead in blocked shots.

41 triple-doubles in a season is damn impressive. Intuitively, you would think he would have had nine or more in a row that season, but odds are he didn't (flip a coin 80 times, odds are you won't have nine heads in a row at any time), so not really bad luck. Also, it seems that Wilt may have had many more triple-doubles if blocks were officially recorded throughout his career.

It will be difficult to break Jabbar's point total, although Wilt probably would still hold the record if he either a) went to NBA out of high school, considering he scored 37+ ppg as a rookie or b) didn't have injuries later in his career.

Jordan was a freak, which shows how amazing it is that Wilt had many more 50+ point games in one season (and almost another) than Jordan did in his career.

Leading the league in points and assists will happen again. I think Wilt averaged 27+ ppg with bad knees the year he led the league in assists.

I don't know if anyone will score 100 points again, but it's probably more likely than breaking some of Wilt's other records.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
The year Wilt lead the league in assists, he averaged 24.3 PPG. And he only needed 8.6 APG to lead the league in assists. ANd he had to average 47 MPG to do it.

Forever27

Aug 20, 2005
Single season? Orr's four trophy season. I mention these two awards because basically, a defensemen winning the Art Ross is very unlikely to happen again, and then going on to win the Conn Smythe is even more unlikely.

Also, Gretzky's 163 assists. Only two players in NHL history have scored that many points in a season, IIRC. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone managed to break his 92 goals, simply because people have come close already. Even 50 goals in 39 games (because on the way to breaking his 92 someone would have to pot the first 50 in a hurry)

But I'd say the most unbeatable Gretzky record is his career point total. It's absurd. A player would have to average 143 points for 20 seasons just to beat it. It's hard enough to hit that total ONCE, but for twenty friggin years?? I remember the first time I saw the top scorers in history, way back before I knew anything about Gretzky or hockey history, I assumed that someone had made a typo. The dropoff after Gretzky is ridiculous. He has an entire hall of fame career total on the next guy. (Who at the time was still Howe...)

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I don't anyone will ever break Bossy's record of nine 50+ goal seasons in a row. Gretzky and Lemieux did dominate the scoring-but Bossy really did dominate scoring goals consistantly (well ok Gretzky too lol).

Another unbreakable is Selanne's 76 goals in rookie season. (The 132 I see as possible).

chooch*

Nice Hair's all time record of most even strength goals against will never be topped; that is the reason why he "dominated" the scoring stats. Imagine how many goals Rocket would have scored if Blake let him hang at centre or how many assists Mikita would have had if Reay let him stand behind the net and flick passes to Hull?

Like that 12-9 Oilers victory over Chicago in Dec 1985; is that better than a 4-1 victory? Only to guys reading stats sheets 20 years later.

I actually saw Nice Hair play and he is ranked #12 and I'm being kind. He wasnt a "smarter" player; in fact he made a lot of dumb passes that were turnovers. There's a reason why Edmonton gave up so many goals.

He's the only player I saw in 35 years who was out there in the last minute of a sewn up game trying to set up another goal; get one more assist.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I don't anyone will ever break Bossy's record of nine 50+ goal seasons in a row. Gretzky and Lemieux did dominate the scoring-but Bossy really did dominate scoring goals consistantly (well ok Gretzky too lol).

I'm pretty sure it's tied with Gretzky, and any tied record is breakable. Malone and Richard would of hit that in an 80 game regular season IMO.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Nice Hair's all time record of most even strength goals against will never be topped; that is the reason why he "dominated" the scoring stats. Imagine how many goals Rocket would have scored if Blake let him hang at centre or how many assists Mikita would have had if Reay let him stand behind the net and flick passes to Hull?

Like that 12-9 Oilers victory over Chicago in Dec 1985; is that better than a 4-1 victory? Only to guys reading stats sheets 20 years later.

I actually saw Nice Hair play and he is ranked #12 and I'm being kind. He wasnt a "smarter" player; in fact he made a lot of dumb passes that were turnovers. There's a reason why Edmonton gave up so many goals.

He's the only player I saw in 35 years who was out there in the last minute of a sewn up game trying to set up another goal; get one more assist.

That would explain his numerous back checks in 1987's Game 7. How can a guy that hangs out at center (BTW, I think you'd have to give that title as much to Lemieux as anyone else) be the first guy back on defense on numerous occassions in a single game?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

Imagine how many goals Viagara Pimp could have scored if he hadn't been preoccupied trying to fathom how to scrounge up money for smokes and telephone pole replacements during retirement:p:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I'm pretty sure it's tied with Gretzky, and any tied record is breakable. Malone and Richard would of hit that in an 80 game regular season IMO.

False. Gretzky had 8 seasons in a row from80-87. In 88 he only scored 40 goals, the following season is when he once again reached 50+. The record they tie on is most 50+ goals seasons in a career-but Bossy beats out Gretzky by one season with most 50+ goals seasons in a row.

Under the new NHL I can't see any goaltender beating Bill Smith's record of 19 playoff series victories in a row. Selanne's 76 goals for rookie is untouchable. I also can't see any player winning the amount of Hart trophies Gretzky got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad