Since support for a cap seems to be such a "Canadian" thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
.. If a cap is implemented I'm going to laugh my tail off when we see these headlines and the collective whining that will undoubtedly follow..

"No room for Bertuzzi under cap"
"Nashville inks Bertuzzi"

"Cap too tight for Flames"
"Iginla signs in Carolina, Kiprusoff to Florida"

"Sens cap woes force Chara, Hossa to hit market"
"Phoenix bolsters blueline, signs Chara"
"Columbus wraps up Hossa deal"

"Souray to test market"
"Souray to Atlanta"

:lol:

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it..

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
EndBoards said:
.. If a cap is implemented I'm going to laugh my tail off when we see these headlines and the collective whining that will undoubtedly follow..

"Souray to test market"
"Souray to Atlanta"

As much as I agree with you, the Americans will be under the same cap...

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
thats the sad part of a cap system .

all the franchise type players will look to play for a team in which they can be considered ''da man'' and be paid accordingly .

thats why you cant have guaranteed contracts in a cap system

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
EndBoards said:

"Souray to test market"
"Souray to Atlanta"

"Clarke cries foul - Cap too LOW!"

"Sather Rants Again - You mean I have to do my own drafting and developing?"

"Wirtz does it Again - 5 Straight Years with the lowest Team Salary!"
"Riots in Chicago, Stadium Burnt to the Ground, Bears missed playoffs again"

"San Jose Has a Hockey Team - Who Knew?"

"Mayor Caught Offguard - we have an NHL team?"
- mayor, Phoenix

"Air Canada Center Collapses - Joy Across Nation"

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
EndBoards said:

"Souray to test market"
"Souray to Atlanta"

I would take those headlines any day before the current system where you would replace to XXXX with one of the following three, to Toronto, to Detroit, to Philadelphia.

or even the actual headline

Detroit picks up League's Leading Scorer Lang at the deadline for cup drive like a pack of chicklets at the checkout stand.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
HF2002 "Air Canada Center Collapses - Joy Across Nation"[/QUOTE said:
We're still trying to figure out why the Habs and Sens were playing at the ACC at the time, but hey, I won't argue with a good thing.

Lanny MacDonald*

EndBoards said:

"Souray to test market"
"Souray to Atlanta"

And why would any of those happen? The teams in question, except for Vancouver, are under a potential cap and salaries are going to flatten out or drop in their value. The $10 million player is a thing of the past. A superstar player will be lucky to see a salary north of $7 million. The best players in the game will likely get a chunk of coin in the $6-7 million range with your top players earning between $3-5 million. Big salaries will be done. A 15 goal scorer will not be making $9 million. He'll likely be making around $1-1.5 million. Maybe $2 million if he is exceptional and an award winner. But this stuff of over-paying for a single year's performance is a thing of the past IMO. Get ready for a brave new world where everyone can afford their top players.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
EndBoards said:

"Souray to test market"
"Souray to Atlanta"

Ok, but then we'll also see the Flames signing Luongo to replace Kiprusoff, and the Canes cutting Jeff O'Neill because they need room for Iginla.

Every team has the same cap and the same room for players.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
GregStack said:
We're still trying to figure out why the Habs and Sens were playing at the ACC at the time, but hey, I won't argue with a good thing.
Ahhh...it seems you've been listening to yet another factually incorrect report from the Toronto media.

There was a game played, but it was played in Ottawa. Turns out the reporter didn't know of any other rink, so he just wrote the ACC. It's not your fault you got it wrong.

But don't worry, only Vince Carter was trapped. He was there looking for some quarters he dropped behind his locker. Right now rescue workers are teasing him, saying they could try harder to get him out quicker, but they just don't want to.

Domi, Tucker and McCabe barely escaped with their lives and are now afraid of big buildings, while some flying debris caught Bob Cole, Harry Neale and Holy Mackinaw precisely in their voice boxes. These events are most pleasing.

quartermaster29

Oct 15, 2004
USA
The Iconoclast said:
And why would any of those happen? The teams in question, except for Vancouver, are under a potential cap and salaries are going to flatten out or drop in their value. The $10 million player is a thing of the past. A superstar player will be lucky to see a salary north of $7 million. The best players in the game will likely get a chunk of coin in the $6-7 million range with your top players earning between $3-5 million. Big salaries will be done. A 15 goal scorer will not be making $9 million. He'll likely be making around $1-1.5 million. Maybe $2 million if he is exceptional and an award winner. But this stuff of over-paying for a single year's performance is a thing of the past IMO. Get ready for a brave new world where everyone can afford their top players.

Gosh. No more $10 million players? They'll have to accept a $6 million salary instead? Man. I suppose Modano will have to start feeding his dog Alpo instead of the $400 a week garbage he's been feeding him.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
EndBoards said:

"Souray to test market"
"Souray to Atlanta"

no kidding - you hit the nail on the head - i wish someone can explain to me where the 11 teams below the cap will get the money to meet the cap floor - also if the player's agree to a cap the free agency situation will be off the mat - player's will be moving yearly -

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Cawz said:
Careful, some people round here dont take kindly to common sense. How dare you use real life examples to back up your opinion.

Especially ones that don't apply!

The nerve of people, objecting to silly comparisons with leagues that are in different worlds of popularity, fanbase, and revenues!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
scaredsensfan said:
In conclusion, caps are stupid.

on the contrary ..as stated they have been proven to work...

the downfall is having a "stupid" GM....

That is a problem... Since teams just can't throw money at a problem, they must know personnel and prospects much better than they do now.

case in point..The New England Patriots.. arguably a *starless* team depending on who is making the judgement.. but they do seem to be successful.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
PepNCheese said:

The nerve of people, objecting to silly comparisons with leagues that are in different worlds of popularity, fanbase, and revenues!
you have to admit though it will be interesting to see what the fan's think when the player movement rivals the nba and nfl -

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ismellofhockey said:
How is cap support a "canadian thing" when 24 of the NHL's teams are based in the US?

A lot more Americans support the players or support niether then canadians.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
PepNCheese said:

You lost me - are you disagreeing with me saying that the comparisons arent apt?

Whats a better comparison? Various sports leagues with similar salary structures, or a fictional league based on emotions?

Last edited:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
trahans99 said:
Hmmm..... you must have been drinking b/c last time I checked the NFL has the richest tv contract, most parity and sellouts to virtually every game. :shakehead
I think he was being sarcastic.

Either that, or I'm really confused and should get back to work.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Yes, they've brought nothing but disaster for the NFL and NBA.

They brought instability to every franchise. Don't mistake that football is very popular not because of a cap but because it's extremely popular in the country (NCAA, High school).

Pro-owner claim that Carolina , Anaheim, Calgary making the finals is a 1-year wonder but what about the Carolina Panthers ? New York Giants ? It's exactly the same thing.

Losing players on their prime hurt way more that paying someone a little more than expected.

Atlanta lost Kovalchuk at 27 years old
Ottawa lost Hossa at 27 years old
Columbus lost Nash at 27 years old

I think this is the new NHL coming in.

Some people prefer the jersey before the players but to me, I like having a player for a long time. No more Yzerman full career in Detroit , Joe Sakic in Colorado & etc....

To me it's just sad, Saku Koivu won't have a full career in Montreal, Joe Thornton in Boston & on & on & on.

I can understand that people try to take the best argument possible to support ''if it's working in the NFL , it's should work in the NHL'' & it's gonna work but even if the NFL is extremely popular , there's a DARK SIDE.

- Fans complain that every year they don't even know the starting line-up because 30 to 40% of the team change every year.

Is that what I want for the NHL ? Certainly not but I have the feeling that it will happen because they want so much those cost certainty.

I'm not a pro-player but i'm certainly anti-owner. Please don't paint me on 1 side because I hate the other one.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
CarlRacki said:
Yes, they've brought nothing but disaster for the NFL and NBA.

Don't compare to the NFL please. A bunch of monkeys could run that league and it would be succesful, that's just where football is at right now in this country.

Besides, the NFL was succesful, thus implemented a cap in order to keep salaries reasonable. They didn't implement a cap and than become succesful. Cap or no cap the NFL would still be a great league, teams would still sell out all 8 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->