"Since 1893-Stanley Cup has stood as the symbol of excellence"

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
This statement is on the Official NHL site. Another section on the site talks about the "greatest Players of all time".

If replacement players are used next season the awarding of the Cup becomes a travesty.

Sure people will come watch hockey but it should it be called the NHL? Playing in the NHL symbolizes to me the pinnacle arena of ability, achievement and determination coming together and only the best deserve to play for the Stanley Cup. It cheapens the sport's greatest symbol. Awarding it to replacement players is something that can never be undone as it will be written on the Cup for all time.

The thought of replacement players, who did not fairly earn their opportunity. to play for Lord Stanley's Cup discourages me, saddens me and makes me want to cry.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well if it will eventualy get NHLers back to playing in the NHL...

if it is the only way for NHL hockey to return at some point under an economic order that works and that will maintain the existance of the League unti 2093 and beyond...

then I am all for it.

It is better than the owners giving in to the palyers' offer and the League bleeding to death for the next 10 years. Then there will be no Stanley Cup winner at all.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Names such as Ed Ronan, Mario Roberge, Andre Racicot, Paul DiPietro and Donald Dufresne are on the Cup from 1993. What's the difference, in terms of ability, really? :D

Besides, who really believes that when replacement NHL hockey begins, it's going to last the entire season without an influx of some (if not most) of the big names of the NHL?

Wetcoaster

QQQ said:
This statement is on the Official NHL site. Another section on the site talks about the "greatest Players of all time".

If replacement players are used next season the awarding of the Cup becomes a travesty.

Sure people will come watch hockey but it should it be called the NHL? Playing in the NHL symbolizes to me the pinnacle arena of ability, achievement and determination coming together and only the best deserve to play for the Stanley Cup. It cheapens the sport's greatest symbol. Awarding it to replacement players is something that can never be undone as it will be written on the Cup for all time.

The thought of replacement players, who did not fairly earn their opportunity. to play for Lord Stanley's Cup discourages me, saddens me and makes me want to cry.
The Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup donated by Governor General Lord Stanley of Preston was intended to be awarded to the best hockey team in Canada.

"I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup, which would be held from year to year by the leading hockey club in Canada. There does not appear to be any outward sign of a championship at present, and considering the interest that hockey matches now elicit, I am willing to give a cup which shall be held annually by the winning club." Lord Stanley of Preston in 1892, at a sports banquet in Ottawa. The following year he purchased silver bowl for about $50 and turned it over to trustees to hold and award the cup in accordance with the trust deed.

NHL control was formalized in an agreement signed with the Cup trustees in 1947.

Maybe it should return to its roots?

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Names such as Ed Ronan, Mario Roberge, Andre Racicot, Paul DiPietro and Donald Dufresne are on the Cup from 1993. What's the difference, in terms of ability, really? :D

Besides, who really believes that when replacement NHL hockey begins, it's going to last the entire season without an influx of some (if not most) of the big names of the NHL?

You are so right. Even if NHL players create a "new" league when the players realize that the "replacement" players are going to get a chance at getting the Stanley cup I am sure many players would change their tune. I don't see it lasting the entire year. I hope they don't get to replacement players but it is the only time fans have a say one way or another what you are supporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad