Simple Cap Question

Techbert

Jun 9, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
I want to make sure I understand. Is the following paragraph true or false?

The highest salary a player can get with incentives is 20% of the team's salary cap. If it is a multi-year deal and the salary cap goes up in a future year, the player's salary stays at the dollar level. If the salary cap goes down in a future year, the player's salary drops to 20% of the team's salary, if necessary.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I want to make sure I understand. Is the following paragraph true or false?

The highest salary a player can get with incentives is 20% of the team's salary cap. If it is a multi-year deal and the salary cap goes up in a future year, the player's salary stays at the dollar level. If the salary cap goes down in a future year, the player's salary drops to 20% of the team's salary, if necessary.
No. The max salary for the duration of the contract is set at 20% of the Upper Limit when the multi-year contract is signed. If the cap goes up, tough luck, his salary remains the same - a contract must be a fixed dolar amount - it cannot be written as X percent of any future cap. If the cap goes down in future years, his salary is NOT reduced - his actual salary could then be in excess of the new maximum salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad