Waived: Simon Gagne

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
http://www.letsgobruins.net/2015/01/28/bruins-place-forward-on-waivers-likely-ending-his-/

The Bruins have placed veteran forward Simon Gagne on waivers for the purpose of releasing him, according to Mark Spector of sportsnet.ca.

Gagne decided to sit out the remainder of the season after the passing of his sick father. Two weeks ago, his status was changed to “suspended player†so the Bruins could maintain a full roster, and his cap hit ($600,000) was removed from the team’s salary.

It is believed that this will lead to Gagne’s retirement from the NHL. Although it ended on such a tragic note, Gagne has had a career to be extremely proud of. He was drafted 22nd overall in the 1998 draft, won silver medals in the 1999 World Juniors and the 2005 World Championships, gold medals in the 2002 Winter Olympics and 2004 World Cup, and the Stanley Cup in 2012. He skated in 931 career NHL games (including playoffs), and totaled 660 points.

The last game Gagne played in was in Arizona on Dec. 6, a game in which he scored the game-winning goal.

Congrats on a great career, Simon.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Next-to-useless player this year but he had a great career and was a Bruin killer in his day.

Very cool that his last goal was a GWer in his last game --great way to go out.

Arthur*

What's the purpose of releasing him if he was already essentially on permanent leave and not counting against the cap? Is it a matter of clearing number of contracts for the sake of acquiring players?

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
What's the purpose of releasing him if he was already essentially on permanent leave and not counting against the cap? Is it a matter of clearing number of contracts for the sake of acquiring players?

It looks like this Kassian for Bart talk might finally be the move. Weisbrod wanted Bart from Florida, he was in Calgary with the Flames when Bart was part of the Iginla deal that fell through and now he is with the Canucks... A lot of smoke here with Dreger and others talking so chances are there is a fire...

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It looks like this Kassian for Bart talk might finally be the move. Weisbrod wanted Bart from Florida, he was in Calgary with the Flames when Bart was part of the Iginla deal that fell through and now he is with the Canucks... A lot of smoke here with Dreger and others talking so chances are there is a fire...

But Bartkowski would be a contract as well...

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
As a hometown LA Kings fan, I find his exit this season to be a tearjerker, especially when he helped the LA Kings win its first-EVER Stanley Cup and not to mention instrumental in landing Jeff Carter in L.A.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
nothing but good thoughts for him. always enjoyed his game - even when he was a Flyer. was a very talented player.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Injuries pretty much killed his career.

He was a good player but the concussions and other injury sucked the last of those prime years away.

I wish him the best-it's been a tough year for him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Tough to see his career end like this. That being said though, he wasn't a viable NHL player at any point this season. While it may be a cold hearted thing to say, it's reality.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
I must say it sad that he has to retire but he did have a very nice career minus the injuries that did cause his career to go south.

It should not be up to the fans to tell a player when to retire or not to retire.
It is a personal decision and the player usually knows when it is time.
Sometimes it is hard to make the final decision but the decision does get made eventually either by realizing it on your own or through others who are very close to you and know that you are fighting to play to last drop of sweat that you may have in you.

I was in very similar position some time ago and I did make the difficult decision to retire early from my career job which many people thought I was crazy at the time. As life has it, it is one of my best decisions I have ever made and today I enjoy my family so much more than when I was tangled so deeply in my career job.

Simon tried one last time and I am certain that he knew deep down inside he was no longer the same player he wanted to be and life does have much bigger priorities than just the NHL and his final realization came about when his dad passed.
A hard decision but one that he made at the end.

I wish him nothing but the best possible life outside of the NHL world.
God Bless Simon and his family.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Congrats to Simone on a great NHL career and living the dream. All the best in your post-hockey life.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

I heard something on the radio yesterday that it was necessary to do. They didn't give a reason but it may just be some kind of league requirement or something. Sorry I know that doesn't help much but I heard a little blip so I thought I'd share it.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I'll never forgive him for the PP goal that sealed the most epic playoff meltdown ever (3-0,3-0--> 3-4,3-4) but he is a class act and i always had respect for him. Great player too, in his prime. How unfortunate his career ended the way it did :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad