Simon Fraser University Looking to Add D1 Hockey

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I can see SFU let in as an experiment into the league, but not allowed to play in the championships and regular seasons games against the other teams would be considered as exhibition games and not counted towards standings. The American's are very proud of their college programs and I find it very hard to believe they need or want a Canadian University in they're program

The Clown have played several exhibition games against NCAA teams. They even hosted a tournament where UBC beat UND and Princeton.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
They could definitely benefit from the talent rich BCHL.

The biggest worry would be potential fan support. Would they come out to an NCAA game or treat it like they would the CIS? NCAA needs big fan support.

goon

They could definitely benefit from the talent rich BCHL.

The biggest worry would be potential fan support. Would they come out to an NCAA game or treat it like they would the CIS? NCAA needs big fan support.
I think that SFU and UBC would be great additions to NCAA Division I hockey. Team's that are successful market their branding and product. Believe me, if it's done right people will know.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I think that SFU and UBC would be great additions to NCAA Division I hockey. Team's that are successful market their branding and product. Believe me, if it's done right people will know.

Well - you won't get UBC. It was saved from the chopping block thanks to alumni. Their pockets aren't deep enough to fund an NCAA team with the added cost of cross-border travel and the poor exchange rate. It would also mean a complete rebuild as none of their current players are eligible.

SFU would have a better chance as they can prepare for the NCAA eligability requirements and have ready access to a great Jr league in the province. Still going to be tough on the travel. It's a matter of how long is the honeymoon WRT seeing US teams coming to town.

AllthingsHCKY

May 26, 2016
I find it inconceivable that a hockey program could be cut at a major university in Canada. What the heck is going on out on the west coast??? That is sacrilegious

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Given that UBC probably has the highest travel costs of any CIS team + they draw flys...it probably doesn't make sense from a financial point of view.

That was my point - I would say that UBC and MAN probably are tied for travel costs being the farthest apart.

ALB, CAL, LET and MRU are all buses away from each other.

USK and REG can bus.

But UBC and MAN have to fly and fly far most weekends.

It must be frustrating to have such a great building and have no one come and watch.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I find it inconceivable that a hockey program could be cut at a major university in Canada. What the heck is going on out on the west coast??? That is sacrilegious

Well, UBC is one of the Big 3 in the country and with that comes more of a focus on academics (the others being McGill and UoT). The higher your perceived academic value, less of a focus there is on athletics.

On the list of Top Universities - UoT is 19th, UBC is 37th and McGill is 39th (roughly 'give or take' the year you review).

As such - if you're not winning and costing the school revenue that can be used somewhere else - you better become significant quickly. In UBC's case, the review process went very slowly and when they did announce the team would be cut, there had been enough time for those interested in keeping it to find alternate forms of funding. I believe this was all deliberate, but it's worked out for everyone so far.

STU didn't have that luxury. They needed savings this year and the hockey team was it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->