Simmons Article on Slam...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Beukeboom Fan said:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2004/12/10/776680.html

Is it just me, or is the irony too thick? One of the first thing the TOR writer thinks about is all of the UFA's the Leafs could afford if the salary rollback is accepted!

Isn't the the exact reason why the luxury tax would need to be more severe?

Steve Simmons moronic capabilities are far underrated if you ask me.

And yes that is the exact reason why this proposal does nothing to fix the MAJOR problems of the system. Without a serious luxury tax, the rollback only means there is more room to spend for the rich teams.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Simmons article was actually good, right until the end. He correctly pointed out the savings for 04/05 are overstated, because half the season is gone, yet they add it up as if it was a full season.

And yes, that's exactly the whole point of why the 24% offer was made, the PA knows that the rich teams that can afford it will just funnel it right back to the current free agents. In essence, a little "revenue sharing" by the players. And they get to cry "half a billion dollar reduction", when in reality it's nowhere close.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
didnt the owners say that they would be losing less money with no hockey than they would with hockey? So already they have saved any money they would have payed out and on top of that the roll back would be even better.

oh wait, the owners said something illogical and the fans believed it, where have i seen that before. Can't believe the rampant ignorance here.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
As a Flyers fan, I would love the proposal, it could mean Ziggy or Demitra and improve the chances of getting a Cup.

As an NHL fan, the proposal is a short term fix for the lesser teams but but actually widen the gap against the bigger teams by giving them more room to get back to their $60m+ salaries.

Now if they decided to have a limit of salary per player of say $5m then I could probably accept that proposal. The star players would get $5m and the future Holiks and LeClair would probably get no more than $3m.

The teams spending is under control and the bigger teams rightly have a chance to pay the better players.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Funny, I've always regarded Simmons as the most level-headed TOR writer along with Hornsby. Then again, with morons like Strachan, Cox and Ulmer around it's not overly difficult.

The official three stooges are Strachan, Brooks and Garrioch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->