Signature goalies- the 1980s

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Who are the goalies who played in the NHL anytime from 1979-80 to 1989-90, who you most remember/identify with and why?

Here are mine:

Mike Liut- Blues, Whalers, Capitals I was at the Boston Garden for his first-ever NHL game, when he came into the game in relief of Ed Stanikowski (and a 5-0 deficit) and stopped everything the Big, Bad B's threw at him to pull out a 5-5 tie. I loved the mask, but was really dazzled by him (as a 7-year-old) for how smooth and confident he looked. B's fans smelled blood in the water when the rookie came in, but he was tremendous. Followed him closely when he came to the Whalers and had a hard time rooting against him in the Adams Division. I've met him a few times since his retirement and he's all class. We've had some great discussions about his playing days, and I can't say enough about how great it is to meet a childhood idol and discover that he's a humble, charismatic guy like Liut is.

Andy Moog- Oilers, Bruins I first noticed Moog when he was in net for the clinching game of the Oil's first SC victory against the Islanders. Always liked him and followed him as much as I could and was thrilled when the Bruins acquired him after the '88 Olympics. He and Rejean Lemelin did great things for the B's- just wish they could have captured the Cup. Moog had a great run in '90, only to play poorly against Edmonton in the finals. After he gave up that OT goal to Petr Klima, his confidence seemed shaken.

Grant Fuhr- Oilers The guy was just money. It seemed like whenever the intensity ramped up the most, he was there to make each big save and make it look easy. In an era when scoring ruled the day, Fuhr was a goalie who saved his best for April and May.

Patrick Roy- Canadiens What can I say? As a B's fan, I hated the guy. But, you had to respect the way he came into the league and promptly won a Stanley Cup, then made Boston fans' lives miserable. Things turned a bit for us in '88 and '90, but he was sensational in the old Adams and always seemed to save some of his greatest performances for those many games against the B's.

Pelle Lindbergh- Flyers He was one goalie I coveted for the B's as a youngster. To this day, I wonder what might have been had he not killed himself in that drunken car wreck. I tend to think that those Flyers teams of the early-to-mid 80's would have won at least 1 Stanley Cup with Lindbergh in the nets. He was just so quick and poised all the time- he was one goalie who made me feel like Dominik Hasek did in the 1990s- intimidated.

Pete Peeters- Bruins He had that one magical Vezina campaign for Boston in 1982-83, but it was a magical time. He was playing at a level that no other goalie seemed to be able to approach. Posting a 2.36 GAA and 8 shutouts at a time when the average was over 3.00 and guys were barely getting 3 shutouts in a single year was as dominating a season you found at any time until Hasek arrived in Buffalo a decade later. Unfortunately, Peeters was no match for the crafty Billy Smith in the 1983 playoffs and he never got back to that level of play with Boston again.

Who are your goalies of the 80's?

fuhr

Aug 29, 2003
Fuhr was my favourite by far but there were some other great goalies that all had some great years during the decade.

Billy Smith - Was a great goalie for the 1st half of the decade and was "The Money Goalie" until Fuhr came around and took over that title. He was always a treat to watch play goal because he always liked to get involved in the game, especially in any sort of physical way possible.

Kelly Hrudey - Had many good years on the Island and was always a big stop goalie. He also always stood out because of his good awful masks he wore in New York but Hrudey took over the from Smith very nicely.

Mike Vernon - during the latter half of the decade was great for the Flames but he was always the fans whipping boy in Cowtown, and to this day I have no reason why. Just because he wasn't as good as Fuhr didn't make him a bad goalie.

Richard Brodeur - Had some good years on some good to mediocore Canucks teams but basically saw why too much of the Oiler machine each season to have ever had a great year but my how that '82 playoff run was magical for the Canuks behind King Richard!

Not many other guys really stand out with the exception of probably Tom Barasso, though outside of his rookie year he was pretty inconsistent as a Sabre. So many teams went with tandems that every year you'd have a new goalie or two stand up and have a great year but full back the next season. Guys like Pat Riggin, Al Jensen, Murray Bannerman, Don Beaupre, Donnie Edwards, Micheal Dion, Clint Malarchuk, Daniel Bouchard, Bob Froese, Greg Millen all had some good years throughout the decade but were never consistent enough to be considered top end goalies for the decade. That was part of the thing about the 80's I loved, is that way more goalies played on a regular basis because so many teams shared the regular season duties.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Smith and Hextall were my favorites, mostly because they were f***ing nuts. Roy was, of course, a class above everyone else. Loved Mooger, very underrated. He would have won those Cups in Edmonton. Liked Mike Liut for reasons I can't fully articulate.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Mike Vernon - during the latter half of the decade was great for the Flames but he was always the fans whipping boy in Cowtown, and to this day I have no reason why. Just because he wasn't as good as Fuhr didn't make him a bad goalie.

IMO, he was superior to Fuhr, but that is a debate I doubt either of us would ever win. ;)

At that time, Flames fans ragged on anyone in goal. Just something that was done. Dunno why.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Worth noting that there are only 2 goalies (Fuhr and Smith) who reached the HHOF based predominantly on what they accomplished in the 1980s. Roy had a couple good years in the '80s, but is in mainly for his dominance in the 1990s.

Liut is an interesting case. He made more appearances, won more games, and recorded more shutouts than any goalie of that decade, but is now a largely forgotten figure. Won a Pearson, would've won the Vezina in 1981 (changed to a 'best goalie' award the following year), and was a Vezina finalist on multiple other occasions. Statistically, he's probably the best goalie of the decade, but had the misfortune of playing for two poor organizations in Hartford and St. Louis, and never experienced any playoff success as a result. You wonder how he'd be remembered if he'd had an opportunity to start for a legitimate contender, and if he'd be considered HHOF material. Right now he's probably the most under-rated goalie of all time.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Hextall. Wannabe pyschos like Belfour had nothing on him. I always remembered the Ninja Turtles movie with the Casey Jones guy and thinking he must have been inspired by Hextall.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Liut is an interesting case. He made more appearances, won more games, and recorded more shutouts than any goalie of that decade, but is now a largely forgotten figure. Won a Pearson, would've won the Vezina in 1981 (changed to a 'best goalie' award the following year), and was a Vezina finalist on multiple other occasions. Statistically, he's probably the best goalie of the decade, but had the misfortune of playing for two poor organizations in Hartford and St. Louis, and never experienced any playoff success as a result. You wonder how he'd be remembered if he'd had an opportunity to start for a legitimate contender, and if he'd be considered HHOF material. Right now he's probably the most under-rated goalie of all time.

:clap:

I agree with everything posted above (especially the Peeters stuff), but to save repetition I will add a few that haven't been mentioned.

Murray Bannerman- the best mask of the entire decade who seemed like a decent goalie but would get lit up like a Christmas tree whenever he faced the Oilers.

Sean Burke- first noticed the big fella on the Canadian National team and then he led the "Mickey Mouse" New Jersey Devils into the playoffs for the first time ever. Big prototype stand up goalie who was the living embodiment of that style until I noticed....

Kirk McLean- I still remember at goalie schools throughout the late 80s when they would show us videos for fundamentals it was always Moog and McLean. They were so technically sound. Plus he made the greatest pad stack in the history of the game.

Allan Bester- A little guy you just had to feel so sorry for behind that team. The Leafs were just so bad you almost wished he would get a shot on a good team so that others would see it wasn't him that sucked.

Bob Mason/Kelly Hrudey- The two tenders in what was probably the best game I saw in that decade: the game 7 triple overtime thriller in 1987. Both guys were simply incredible.

Reggie Lemelin- Oh gods how I hated Lemelin. It was a mystery to me how he stopped anything at all. The most awkward, goofy looking goalie I had ever seen until Hasek showed up. And I still think Lemelin looked worse.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Murray Bannerman- the best mask of the entire decade who seemed like a decent goalie but would get lit up like a Christmas tree whenever he faced the Oilers.

I was at one of the games where he got lit up and let me tell you the Hawks played like rubbish in front of him. I have never seen a team let a goalie down like that before or since, and it was made doubly difficult because coach didn't pull him until it was 8 or 9 goals into the game.

Horrible.

PS, the other thing I remember about that game is that the Oilers fans booed Paul Coffey because Sather had ripped him in the paper that day. Coffey I think scored too but it didn't make a difference. I remember being struck by the fact that two pretty good hockey players had a horrible evening and neither one was at fault.

Funny what you remember.

I was at one of the games where he got lit up and let me tell you the Hawks played like rubbish in front of him. I have never seen a team let a goalie down like that before or since, and it was made doubly difficult because coach didn't pull him until it was 8 or 9 goals into the game.

Horrible.

PS, the other thing I remember about that game is that the Oilers fans booed Paul Coffey because Sather had ripped him in the paper that day. Coffey I think scored too but it didn't make a difference. I remember being struck by the fact that two pretty good hockey players had a horrible evening and neither one was at fault.

Funny what you remember.

Wasn't that the series where Kurri was unstoppable? Everything he touched went into the net. He set a few records that spring I think.

Cartman27

Oct 13, 2006
Long Island
How about Darren Pang!!! John Vanbeisbrouk won a vezina in 1986 for helping the rangers upset the Flyers and Capitals before he ran into some rookie named Patrick Roy:amazed:. Yea its a homer pick but everyone else was mentioned already. Smith, Fuhr, Moog, Roy, Lindhberg, Hextall, etc etc etc. How about some of the backups??? Vachon, Weeks, Low, Melanson, Resch and ofcourse the Panger!!:yo:

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Hextall and Smith for me. Great team rivalry and those two both were like defensemen trapped in goalie equipment. I always remember the 3" of stick above the knob of Billy Smith's stick and how he used to hang it out when someone would carry the puck behind the net and not be looking at him. And Hextall with the stick banging on the posts and playing the puck like he was a defenseman.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Worth noting that there are only 2 goalies (Fuhr and Smith) who reached the HHOF based predominantly on what they accomplished in the 1980s. Roy had a couple good years in the '80s, but is in mainly for his dominance in the 1990s.

St.Louis was NOT a poor organization in the 1980's, they were the powerhouses in the Norris Division throughout the 80's and the early to mid 80's were their peak. St.Louis had 3 good lines rolling and Liut was the wall...the reason he doesn't get much credit was that one faithful night in Montreal..if you remember Canada Cup 81..you can see why he wasn't given a chance after that to a legit team.

:shakehead

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
How about Darren Pang!!! John Vanbeisbrouk won a vezina in 1986 for helping the rangers upset the Flyers and Capitals before he ran into some rookie named Patrick Roy:amazed:. Yea its a homer pick but everyone else was mentioned already. Smith, Fuhr, Moog, Roy, Lindhberg, Hextall, etc etc etc. How about some of the backups??? Vachon, Weeks, Low, Melanson, Resch and ofcourse the Panger!!:yo:

He couldn't have won the Vezina due to helping the Rangers upset the Flyers and Caps in the playoffs since the voting is done after the regular season ends and before the playoffs begin

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He couldn't have won the Vezina due to helping the Rangers upset the Flyers and Caps in the playoffs since the voting is done after the regular season ends and before the playoffs begin

It was a joke he won the Vezina that year. Bob Froese was clearly the better goalie during the regular season.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Pete Peeters- Bruins He had that one magical Vezina campaign for Boston in 1982-83, but it was a magical time. He was playing at a level that no other goalie seemed to be able to approach. Posting a 2.36 GAA and 8 shutouts at a time when the average was over 3.00 and guys were barely getting 3 shutouts in a single year was as dominating a season you found at any time until Hasek arrived in Buffalo a decade later. Unfortunately, Peeters was no match for the crafty Billy Smith in the 1983 playoffs and he never got back to that level of play with Boston again.

Peeters may not have been the best human being in the world (just ask Jay Greenberg), but as a goalie his career was pretty solid. Vezina winner, made the Stanley Cup Final. A lot of people forget that he was also the winning goalie for Canada when they won the 1984 Canada Cup.

Another guy not yet mentioned was the very underrated Glen Hanlon, who had some phenomenal playoff performances with both the Rangers and Detroit.

Funny thing about the 80s is that not a lot of goalies were able to last long in that era. At the start of the decade, Don Edwards, Mike Palmateer and Mario Lessard looked to just be entering their prime and were expected to dominate the 80s. By `86 they were all finished.

St.Louis was NOT a poor organization in the 1980's, they were the powerhouses in the Norris Division throughout the 80's and the early to mid 80's were their peak. St.Louis had 3 good lines rolling and Liut was the wall...the reason he doesn't get much credit was that one faithful night in Montreal..if you remember Canada Cup 81..you can see why he wasn't given a chance after that to a legit team.

St. Louis was a poor organization in the 80s. They had one superb year in `80 -`81 (2nd overall), but aside from that were usually hovering around .500 in the weakest division in the league and only got past the second round once in the decade. They were not a powerhouse by any stretch.

Liut never looked to be an elite goalie to me; good but not great. A lot of his accolades were due to the fact that he was playing 60-65 games when most teams were spliting the minutes between their top two goalies evenly. He was a good, stand-up goalie, but had some bad playoff performances in addition to the Canada Cup. In the Blues big `81 season, the Rangers scored at will against him in the second round. I`ve also heard he wasn`t very popular with his teammates; Rick Heinz described him in his book as being very moody and difficult to be around.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I always remember the 3" of stick above the knob of Billy Smith's stick and how he used to hang it out when someone would carry the puck behind the net and not be looking at him.

If Billy Smith were in today's NHL, there would be some wet-behind-the-ears pacifist starting a new thread on HF, whining about his antics, every hour of the day. :D

The conversation of 1980s goalies starts with the two guys who got their names etched on the Cup eight times (if I'm not mistaken) between them that decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad