Sign and Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Would this be allowed in the new CBA? Lets say the Rangers buyout Bobby Holik get another team to sign him at a lower salary and trade him back to the Rangers for a low level prospect. Would the Sign and Trade become popular this summer?

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
free0717 said:
Would this be allowed in the new CBA? Lets say the Rangers buyout Bobby Holik get another team to sign him at a lower salary and trade him back to the Rangers for a low level prospect. Would the Sign and Trade become popular this summer?

I believe it's rumored there's a provision in the CBA which says a bought out player cannot return to the team that bought him out.

ResidentAlien*

free0717 said:
Considering no one knows exactly what this new deal looks like..WTFKs?

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Boltsfan2029 said:
I believe it's rumored there's a provision in the CBA which says a bought out player cannot return to the team that bought him out.

What it says is the player being bought out cannot be resigned by his team. What I posted before is another team signs the player and trades him back to the original team.

cjbhab*

Boltsfan2029 said:

he could go back in the future though right? just not in the same year?

Lanny MacDonald*

cjbhab said:
he could go back in the future though right? just not in the same year?

Exactly. I suspect it will be just like Dean McAmmond situation and that Holik could be traded back to the Rangers, but ruled inelliglble to play for that season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
free0717 said:
Or another option on that ..

The NYR trade Holik + Money to buy him out and future considerations (future pick or prospect for the trouble) to another team, who then buys Holik out and then he turns to NY as a UFA again.

Since buyouts this summer don't count against the cap it wouldn't hurt anyone .

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Im sure it will be like a "one year thing" where the player cant return to his former team that bought him out.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
The Messenger said:
Or another option on that ..

The NYR trade Holik + Money to buy him out and future considerations (future pick or prospect for the trouble) to another team, who then buys Holik out and then he turns to NY as a UFA again.

Since buyouts this summer don't count against the cap it wouldn't hurt anyone .

The "one-time no salary cap hit" buyout period will come before trades are allowed to occur. So this scenario is moot.

PredFred

Jun 26, 2005
Over Yonder
Wasn't it stated somewhere that trades were subject to the Commisioners approval? If this is the case, I don't see Bettman letting this "loophole" catch him.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
free0717 said:
What it says is the player being bought out cannot be resigned by his team. What I posted before is another team signs the player and trades him back to the original team.

the rumor is that the player being bought out can not return to his former club in any way, shape or form. he can't re-sign and he can't sign with another team and then be traded back...if they did that then all the big market teams would just buyout their players, sign another big market teams guys and then swap players resulting in all teams keeping their guys for less $$.

the question though is how long will this restriction last...obviously they don't want a guy bought, signed and traded back within the same week. but if you buyout a guy now, can you get him back at the trade deadline?? can you get him back next summer??

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
heshootshescores said:
The "one-time no salary cap hit" buyout period will come before trades are allowed to occur. So this scenario is moot.
Do you know that for sure ??

It doesn't really make sense that way though IMO.

The NHL Owners would rather see the player traded then to receive a big cash settlement in hand for doing nothing and then be sent on his way.

You might see a meeting in the middle of your and my suggestion in that, once traded then the new team would take the cap hit to buy out a player. However there will be teams that struggle to keep above the floor next near .. So even if the Cap hit takes place its still really a non issue ..

The NHL old CBA used to have a similar type trade and reward package for entry draft compensation picks.. Teams would trade soon to be UFA to smaller market that didn't intend to go UFA shopping and then once the player became an UFA and signed elsewhere the team got a compensation draft pick awarded in the draft .. Toronto traded Cujo to Calgary before July 1st and then Cujo joined the Wings as a UFA and Calgary got a draft pick for the loss ..

My suggestion is a spin on that concept with in this case the trading team needs to also provide the buying team compensation ..

The NHL system still works as the team that traded the player would need to also send along the buyout money to the other team .. Which means that portion counts against their cap in fact if the Jagr ruling applies to all .. So if the player was to return his former team it would not really help much in fact as new salary plus cash sent in deal is likely fairly close to old contract. You might only have a advantage if you didn't have to send along the money or received a contract in return to offset the buyout..

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Its been mentioned in various spaces that there will be a timeline set up after ratification:

1. a few days for clubs, agents, and players to "digest" the proposal and make their "gameplan"

2. a few days for a special clause that allows buyouts that don't count against the cap.

3. Period to sign 2003 draftees and make offers to 2004.

4. Draft

5. Open season on the most frenzied UFA in history.

Perhaps 4 and 5 would be switched... and some may overlap (such as 2-3) but who cares cause the only person that truly affects is SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad