"Sign and Trade" contracts

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
According to this article (from TSN), there is a some "sign and trade" contract between Islanders and Tavares possible. The idea behind this is, that Islanders could sign him for 8 years, what could lower the salary cap for other teams.

How many such contracts did we saw?

First, i remember, was that between Marian Hossa and Atlanta Thrashers. Few hours after they agree on contract, Hossa was traded to Ottawa.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not sure if Hossa was really in the "sign and trade" sense where he was aware of what was happening. Similarly, the Sharks signed Devin Setoguchi to a three year deal and a couple days later traded him in a package for Brent Burns.

For the hypothetical Tavares scenario, he'd be aware that he'd be getting dealt which is usually what I would consider a "sign and trade."

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Not sure if Hossa was really in the "sign and trade" sense where he was aware of what was happening. Similarly, the Sharks signed Devin Setoguchi to a three year deal and a couple days later traded him in a package for Brent Burns.

For the hypothetical Tavares scenario, he'd be aware that he'd be getting dealt which is usually what I would consider a "sign and trade."

He was not. But Ottawa was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->