Sidney's ranking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Players like Crosby are the reason the list goes up to 10. He's not a 10A, I don't think 10A can even be achieved if you read the definition. No prospect can be labelled a sure fire guaranteed 'once in a generation' player. He is most definitely a 10B - a player with the potential to be a superstar, who could top out as an elite player rather than a revolutionary one like Gretzky.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
JayRice66 said:
10B, he definately has a much larger upside than Ovechkin. People can say they are close all they want. And right now, they may be. Crosby will only get better. The same goes for Ovechkin.

How does he "definitely" have much larger upside than Ovechkin? Or Lehtonen for that matter?

What has he done against NHL quality opponents that qualifies him as better than the top 1-5 prospects on HF?

IMO the hype has a lot of fans talking right out of their a**.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
EroCaps said:
How does he "definitely" have much larger upside than Ovechkin? Or Lehtonen for that matter?

What has he done against NHL quality opponents that qualifies him as better than the top 1-5 prospects on HF?

Well since we're talking about NHL games and such Fleury>Lehtonen. Dominated the NHL for a longer period of time.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Russian_fanatic said:
Well since we're talking about NHL games and such Fleury>Lehtonen. Dominated the NHL for a longer period of time.

Wasn't Fleury hot and cold last year, whereas Lehtonen went 4-0 and looked phenomenal?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
EroCaps said:

I think the hype will have the opposite effect as well. Plenty of people will get fed up with all the praise Crosby is getting, and they'll start to search for reasons to bash him, just like they did with Ovechkin. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, I'm waiting for the inevitable backlash.

It's kind of crazy to see people comparing these two to Greztky and Lemieux, I hope they come close to reaching their potential, for the sake of the sanity of Pens and Caps fans.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Wasn't Fleury hot and cold last year, whereas Lehtonen went 4-0 and looked phenomenal?
Four games. Fleury was the leagues rookie of the month based on his first six.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
EroCaps said:
Lehtonen is widely considered the better prospect.

He is by far the better netminder. That being said. Fleury flashed signs of brilliance in the net in pittsburgh, when the defense was actually playing. He suffered early because of the pens horrid defense.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

that's a supremely crappy comparison. lehtonen plays 4 games and plays well, good for him...not only was he older and had more experience and development, he only played 4 games and players did not have any time to figure him out. he obviously played great but it's really no indication of how he'll hold up over many games.

you should have just taken the easy and more accurate path and compared their play in the AHL if you wanted to try to make a point about the two

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
sharkyz15 said:
10C

Although I think he will be great

We are talking on of the best all time
That is all hard to accomplish

No one should ever be a 10A
EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, I think that's the best rating is 10B or 10C

Some think he'll fail in the NHL because of pressure or something so I'd consider Pressure handling a potential hole(we don't know for sure) but I think he'll reach his potential, but untill Jesus himself straps on skates and gets drafted I can't see anyone with a 10A

Default101

agreed Crosby is clearly a better hockey player than Ovechkin tho, not saying he's going to have the better career cause injuries can change that but i'd bet everything that pending both players have 20 year 82 game per year career's Crosby would blow Ovechkin's out of the water, with that said Crosby nor wayne gretzky himself should get 10-A i'd give crosby a 10-B tho.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Le Golie said:
Please explain this one. Tell the world what you have seen in his game that leads you to believe he will top out as a Patrick Elias type forward with a chance of dropping to the second line.

I can't wait to hear specific examples of what you have witnessed that formed your opinion.

Ooh, I'm a heathen, a heretic, because I believe he might *only* be All Star calibre, a first liner, 40 - 50 goal scorer, 100 point guy?

Jesus. :shakehead The Crosby love is simply insane.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
HF player rankings aren't based on downside or worst case scenarios. They are based on realistic 'potential'.

With that in mind, please enlighten me on what leads you to believe Crosby's realistic potential is Patrick Elias with a chance of being demoted to the second line.

8B is a joke, let's here you defend it. How can you not be aware that your claim is far more ridiculous than mine?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Yes, if Pecafan was drafting he might also consider other 8B prospects such as Chris Higgins, Mikko Koivu and Wojtek Wolski ahead of Crosby. But hey, he's realistic.

Surely he would take 8A prospects Mark Stuart and Shea Webber ahead of Crosby.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Le Golie said:
HF player rankings aren't based on downside or worst case scenarios. They are based on realistic 'potential'.

Key word "realistic". 90% of the prospect rankings simply aren't. According to HF, the Canucks have about 20 guys who's "realistic" potential is fourth line NHL'er or better. In reality, only a couple of those players will even make the NHL, the rest will be minor leaguers at best.

"Realistic" is throwing the title of NHL'er on everyone, then being wrong 90% of the time? Oh, but it was "realistic" because each and every one of the 20 guys had the "potential" to be an NHL'er? Gee, I guess I should be ranked, I have the "potential" to be the first NHL'er collecting Old Age Pension.

*Realistically*, Crosby has a great chance of being a first liner, a small chance at busting, a small chance at being an elite player (hint: elite players are rare, that's what makes them elite), and a minute chance at being a generational talent.

And I'm being unreasonable for recognising that the most likely outcome is that Crosby simply becomes "only" a 50 goal, 100 point scoring first line potential All Star?

I am so looking forward to the next few years, as the Crosby acolytes slowly have it dawn on them that the kid is mortal.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Ok, if Crosby doesn't deserve the highest realistic grade (10B) of a newly drafted prospect - what would it take? He has made a very strong case for himself as the best 16 and 17 year old ever. I'm not sure what more you need to give him a 10B. You certainly have avoided the original request to point out specific examples of what you see that makes him a Wojtek Wolski level prospect.

Or are you one of those short sighted people that think that in the 30 years of modern NHL hockey we have seen the only two mega star hockey players that we will ever see in the hundreds of thousands (hopefully millions or billions) of years the human race has ahead of us? If that's the case I guess HF should knock their prospect rating down to a scale of 1-8.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'd say 9.5B.

Not to knock on Crosby, but the hype machine is really working in full force. He certainly is something special, but I'd rather be conservative and lower it a bit.

And Le Golie, I'd say there are three generational talents: Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
EroCaps said:
Why are you asking, you didn't see for yourself?

Lehtonen was great in 4 games. Fleury was great in about 10.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
Jacobv2 said:
Why are you asking, you didn't see for yourself?

Lehtonen was great in 4 games. Fleury was great in about 10.

I agree 100% Another thing, name one time when Kari had to save 46 in one game, including a penalty shot. Not saying Fleury is better then Lehtonen, or vice versa, just something to chew on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad