Sidney Cosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
100 pts, yet nothing special? You obviously have high hopes for these potential rule changes if a 100 pt player will be ordinary.

He ain't no Bill Cosby, that's for sure...

KariyaIsGod*

sveiglar said:
100 pts, yet nothing special? You obviously have high hopes for these potential rule changes if a 100 pt player will be ordinary.

Oh, I don't know about that. Crosby could shell out that Jello real good too!

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
sveiglar said:

*Wakes up from Coma*

What? Bill Cosby's son is playing in the Q and is a future 80-90 point man in the NHL?????

*Falls back into Coma*

KillToronto

Bouwmeester4 said:
How good do you think Sidney Crosby will be? Compare him to a current player. I think he might be a 80-90 point player...sometimes he will break the 100 point barrier in a season but nothing to special.

WOW what an original idea for a thread! Who would have thought to make YET ANOTHER thread about Sidney Crosby asking the same question asked by thousands of people on this sight?

Next time, do a little searching before just throwing threads around. Theres an entire sticky dedicated to Crosby for christ's sake.

leafaholix*

Comparison: Peter Forsberg.

That's based on style right now... but I'm sure his potential is greater then Foppa.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Actually, I would compare Crosby offensively to Hossa/Havlat. He has tremendous speed, great stick handling, great vision and can bring the puck from his zone to the other alone with great plays

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
go pierre hedin said:
Comparison: Peter Forsberg.

That's based on style right now... but I'm sure his potential is greater then Foppa.

That was made by Pierre Mcguire, and I have to disagree. Crosby likes to shoot the puck a whole lot more than Forsberg ever has.

As for Crosby's potential being higher than Forsbergs, typical prospect hype. There is no way, at 16, that you can judge he has more talent than Peter. If he turns out to be anything close, then he was well worth the no. 1 pick.

nordique

Hopefully he's better at hockey than Theo Huxtable was at football.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Enoch said:
That was made by Pierre Mcguire, and I have to disagree. Crosby likes to shoot the puck a whole lot more than Forsberg ever has.

As for Crosby's potential being higher than Forsbergs, typical prospect hype. There is no way, at 16, that you can judge he has more talent than Peter. If he turns out to be anything close, then he was well worth the no. 1 pick.

And what's funny is the fact that Scott Lachance, Pat Falloon and Aaron ward were all drafted before Forsberg :) 1991 Draft

leafaholix*

Enoch said:
That was made by Pierre Mcguire
Yes, that's true... but having seen him a bunch of times this year (8-10), you can tell at this point in his "career", he plays a similar game to Peter Forsberg.

Crosby likes to shoot the puck a whole lot more than Forsberg ever has.
This is based on STYLE. Not on every aspect of their games.

He's got more potential then any prospect since Mario Lemieux. Saying he's got Peter Forsberg type potential is really an understatement. There are scouts and people in the hockey community (including Wayne) that say he's got the potential to break Gretzky's records. But with how the game is now, I doubt he does.

KariyaIsGod*

Enoch said:

He didn't say he was better than Peter, he said he could potentially be which makes perfect sense to anyone who isn't an Avs fan :)

Basher

nordique said:
Hopefully he's better at hockey than Theo Huxtable was at football.

Hmm...could Theo have played hockey? I bet he would have been alright. Anson Carter type, but could fight like Worrell. I'll contact Preds front office today and get them to look into this new prospect I just made up.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
KariyaIsGod said:
He didn't say he was better than Peter, he said he could potentially be which makes perfect sense to anyone who isn't an Avs fan :)

Another moronic poster that looks no farther than an avatar, I am and have been a Predators fan on these boards. He said that he is sure his potential is greather than that of Forsbergs. Potential = talent level. Talent is not always translated onto the ice (obviously), but a players potential is based upon his talent and how quickly he learns. And at 16, he already has more talent/ability to improve then Forsberg did.....the best player in the NHL/world? I don't buy that line of thinking. He still has a lot of stages in his development, at much higher stages of competition, before I give him that much respect.

Crosby, is the hottest prospect on the market. Last year it was Ovechkin.....he is now overshadowed by Crosby. Before that, it was Spezza, Kovalchuk, Jay Bo, Thrnton, and it continues to Daigle, etc. Most of the examples I have listed have found a lot of success at the Pro level, but there are some that never did. I've seen Crosby play, and he possesses tons of skill. I'm not saying he isn't talened or one of the better prospects in recent memory, however, buying into all the hype that the media throws over a player is kind of silly. Crosby at 16 is heralded as the next "great one", who has the potential to break Gretzky's record of almost 900 goals........thats crazy, IMO. Gretzky, Lemuix, Orr.......there the legends of this game. I'm not going to start handling the mantle over to a 16 year old kid at this point of his career. He has to learn how to handle his mature body, and the rough game of the NHL. Heck, he still has almost over 2 years until his draft day. A lot could happen between here and now......a lot could change. Again, I 'm not denying the sheer talent and skill that Crosby has shown, but I really do not think he has proven that he has more potential than the best player (ATM) in the world had.

-GPH

I agree, to an extent. Crosby is good at holding onto the puck, and if he translates that into his game at a more elite level, he will be like Forsberg. However, the major difference between the two, is that Crosby shoots first/passes second (even though he can make some nice passes), while FOrsberg passes first/shoots second (even though he has a nice shot.)

Last edited:

Dropkick Alex

Jan 30, 2004
Amherst, New York
KillToronto said:
WOW what an original idea for a thread! Who would have thought to make YET ANOTHER thread about Sidney Crosby asking the same question asked by thousands of people on this sight?

Next time, do a little searching before just throwing threads around. Theres an entire sticky dedicated to Crosby for christ's sake.

im new here... i really dont know all the ropes...so get off my back :mad:

Dropkick Alex

Jan 30, 2004
Amherst, New York
sveiglar said:

look at dave anderchuck(sp) he has only scored 100 points once...yet he has over a 1000 points...and a future HOFamer. when u speak about greats i doubt anderchuck is said...hes very underated.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Enoch said:
Another moronic poster that looks no farther than an avatar, I am and have been a Predators fan on these boards. He said that he is sure his potential is greather than that of Forsbergs. Potential = talent level. Talent is not always translated onto the ice (obviously), but a players potential is based upon his talent and how quickly he learns. And at 16, he already has more talent/ability to improve then Forsberg did.....the best player in the NHL/world? I don't buy that line of thinking. He still has a lot of stages in his development, at much higher stages of competition, before I give him that much respect.

Crosby, is the hottest prospect on the market. Last year it was Ovechkin.....he is now overshadowed by Crosby. Before that, it was Spezza, Kovalchuk, Jay Bo, Thrnton, and it continues to Daigle, etc. Most of the examples I have listed have found a lot of success at the Pro level, but there are some that never did. I've seen Crosby play, and he possesses tons of skill. I'm not saying he isn't talened or one of the better prospects in recent memory, however, buying into all the hype that the media throws over a player is kind of silly. Crosby at 16 is heralded as the next "great one", who has the potential to break Gretzky's record of almost 900 goals........thats crazy, IMO. Gretzky, Lemuix, Orr.......there the legends of this game. I'm not going to start handling the mantle over to a 16 year old kid at this point of his career. He has to learn how to handle his mature body, and the rough game of the NHL. Heck, he still has almost over 2 years until his draft day. A lot could happen between here and now......a lot could change. Again, I 'm not denying the sheer talent and skill that Crosby has shown, but I really do not think he has proven that he has more potential than the best player (ATM) in the world had.

-GPH

I agree, to an extent. Crosby is good at holding onto the puck, and if he translates that into his game at a more elite level, he will be like Forsberg. However, the major difference between the two, is that Crosby shoots first/passes second (even though he can make some nice passes), while FOrsberg passes first/shoots second (even though he has a nice shot.)
Just about a year and a half actually :D (unless they screw with draft ages in this CBA)

I don't know, of course he's not as good as Forsberg, no body in the world is, but he has potential (ie he could be considered better at the same age) Potential doesn't equal Talent IMO. Talent=Production and Potential=Potential Production. I look at it like this, Shean 'Golden Hands' Donovan has 17 goals right now, Ales Hemsky does not, but who has higher potential? Who is producing more?

Just my opinion though.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Bouwmeester4 said:
look at dave anderchuck(sp) he has only scored 100 points once...yet he has over a 1000 points...and a future HOFamer. when u speak about greats i doubt anderchuck is said...hes very underated.

Actually he has over 1300 pts and I'd say most educated people think highly of his long and consistent career, but my point was that 100 pts in '93-'94 (when Andreychuk has his career best of 99 pts) is different than it is now. Though scoring that year was down a bit from the previous year (when 14 players hit 50+ goals), it was still much higher than in the past 4-5 years. In '93-'94 there were 8 100+ pt players and 8 50+ goal scorers. In the past five full seasons, there have been a total of just 8 100+ pt seasons and only 6 50+ goal seasons posted. Unless the game is opened up significantly, it will be difficult to score 100 pts unless you are a "special" player.

leafaholix*

Enoch said:
What do you base this on?

Crosby has more assists then he does goals. He's also 6th in the league in terms of shots... and this is a guy who controls the game when he's on the ice (for the most part).

His linemate Dany Roussin has more shots then he does.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
go pierre hedin said:
What do you base this on?

Crosby has more assists then he does goals. He's also 6th in the league in terms of shots... and this is a guy who controls the game when he's on the ice (for the most part).

His linemate Dany Roussin has more shots then he does.
Crosby is more of a Joe Sakic type player, he may end up being alot stronger on the puck then joe though. Crosby shoots when he can score, he isn't one of those shoot in all situation guys, he doesn't pass when he has a decent scoring chance though, thats why he will be great.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
The only three players I can remember having this much hype were Gretzky, Lemieux, and Lindros. With the others, even Thornton/Kovalchuk/Daigle I really only started hearing a lot about them a couple of years before their draft. Crosby I heard about when he was 12.

So maybe I'll give him a 66% chance of being a superstar, and a 33% chance of being a guy with a headache.

Dropkick Alex

Jan 30, 2004
Amherst, New York
sveiglar said:
Actually he has over 1300 pts and I'd say most educated people think highly of his long and consistent career, but my point was that 100 pts in '93-'94 (when Andreychuk has his career best of 99 pts) is different than it is now. Though scoring that year was down a bit from the previous year (when 14 players hit 50+ goals), it was still much higher than in the past 4-5 years. In '93-'94 there were 8 100+ pt players and 8 50+ goal scorers. In the past five full seasons, there have been a total of just 8 100+ pt seasons and only 6 50+ goal seasons posted. Unless the game is opened up significantly, it will be difficult to score 100 pts unless you are a "special" player.

alright i c ur point...we cool now?

KariyaIsGod*

Enoch said:

-GPH

You are dumb. He clearly has far more potential then Forsberg had but who knows if he will fulfill it. Nobody thought Forsberg had the skill to break anybody's records and he hasn't, but Crosby is already well documented as having the talent in him to do so. As you said, is only a matter of whether it translates to the ice.

Hey, maybe you're the moronic poster who can't see past his own avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->