Sid and Geno on the PK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Which is what I'd stated earlier in the thread. If you read my previous post in the thread (not the one you quoted), I never suggested 2-3 minutes a game. Just more than the currently do.

The post of mine you quoted was directly in response to the post I quoted that seemed to suggest those arguing for more PK time for Sid and Geno is due to the Flyers doing so with their stars, as if mimicking the Flyers' strategy. I was just pointing out that it's more than just the Flyers who use their stars to PK.

Actually, those of us arguing for Sid and Geno on the PK, especially in the playoffs, were a little more concerned about the Flyers PP (and the Lightning PP the year before) than about who played on their PK. For the Flyers, there was next to no risk associated with passing through the box at will. Part of the rationale for having the stars out there, especially in the playoffs, is that their presence (and their ability to read plays) gives a PP pause, especially when it comes to making the high risk passes.

Master Shake*

I think there was a thread on this after last season ended, but I didn't feel like digging it up. Looking around at other teams, they use their star players on the PK. Guys like Giroux, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Nash, Parise, Stamkos, and even an offensive weapon like Kovulchuk spent considerable time on their team's PK. Meanwhile, the Penguins use up roster spots on guys like Adams that prevent younger guys like Jeffrey and Tangradi from getting more playing time. Guys like Cooke and Dupuis, while they're still suitable players, aren't getting any younger.

From what I understand, Malkin is considered an elite PKer when he plays for Russia. Sid, while he hasn't spent much time on the PK in his career, is a very gritty player. He looks like someone that would absolutely thrive on the PK. Both would provide offensive threats on the PK that might make the other team's PP think twice.

I'm guessing the biggest issue is that the Pens fear they could get hurt blocking shots, but a) it's hockey, plently of ways they could get hurt regardless, and b) Sid blocks shots when he has to anyways (took one near the family jewels in Anaheim a few years ago when MAF was out of position).

Absolutely they should be out there. But that said we do have some excellent pk guys also. Sutter will be very big in their area for example.

Master Shake*

Actually, those of us arguing for Sid and Geno on the PK, especially in the playoffs, were a little more concerned about the Flyers PP (and the Lightning PP the year before) than about who played on their PK. For the Flyers, there was next to no risk associated with passing through the box at will. Part of the rationale for having the stars out there, especially in the playoffs, is that their presence (and their ability to read plays) gives a PP pause, especially when it comes to making the high risk passes.

Exactly. The problem for other teams when Crosby or Malkin is on the ice in a PK situation is the risk one of them intercepting the puck with open ice in front of them. There is no question this will scare the piss out of anyone manning the points. Not just for passes but for pinching. Do you really want to risk missing a pinch with Crosby or Malkin right on top of you? Thats like giving them a free penalty shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad