SI writer lists Top Ten Americans ever in the NHL -- Your list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Bobby Carpenter was the first American ever to score 50 goals, and, more importantly, he wasn't a one-dimensional player. When scoring was no longer a weapon, he transformed himself into one of the game's premier defensive forwards and was a key contributor to the Devils' first Stanley Cup in that role.

I guess this is his honorable mention.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here is a list I came up with it. A top NHL player (maybe the best?) from each state based on place of birth:

Alabama Audley Tuten
Alaska Scott Gomez
Arizona Jim Brown
California Lee Norwood
Colorado John Grahame
Connecticut Craig Janney
Delaware Mark Eaton
Florida Dan Hinote
Georgia Eric Chouinard
Idaho Pat Shea
Illinois Chris Chelios
Indiana John Michael Liles
Iowa Scott Clemmensen
Maine Danny Bolduc
Maryland Jeff Halpern
Massachusetts Jeremy Roenick
Michigan Mike Modano
Minnesota Frank Brimsek
Missouri Pat LaFontaine
Montana Bill Lindsay
Nebraska Jed Ortmeyer
New Hampshire Deron Quint
New Jersey Randy Wood
New York Joe Mullen
North Dakota Fido Purpur
Ohio Dave Ellett
Oklahoma Tyler Arnason
Oregon Derek Gustafson
Pennsylvania Mike Richter
Rhode Island Brian Boucher
Texas Brian Leetch
Utah Steve Konowalchuk
Vermont John LeClair
Virginia Eric Weinrich
Washington Wayne Hicks
Washington, DC Kevyn Adams
Wisconsin Gary Suter

None: Arkansas, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wyoming.

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
In this order:

Chris Chelios
Pat Lafontaine
Brian Leetch
Jeremy Roenick
Mike Richter
Mike Modano
Frank Brimsek
Joe Mullen
Phil Housley
Gary Suter

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
John Flyers Fan said:
Mullen over Chelios is a travesty.
Anybody over Chelios is a travesty. I can't believe this writer has him at #4, what an assclown.

Damn, forgot about Brimsek, gonna have to take Tkachuk out and put him in.

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
MiamiScreamingEagles said:
Here is a list I came up with it. A top NHL player (maybe the best?) from each state based on place of birth:

Alabama Audley Tuten
Alaska Scott Gomez
Arizona Jim Brown
California Lee Norwood
Colorado John Grahame
Connecticut Craig Janney
Delaware Mark Eaton
Florida Dan Hinote
Georgia Eric Chouinard
Idaho Pat Shea
Illinois Chris Chelios
Iowa Scott Clemmensen
Maine Danny Bolduc
Maryland Jeff Halpern
Michigan Mike Modano
Minnesota Frank Brimsek
Missouri Pat LaFontaine
Montana Bill Lindsay
Nebraska Jed Ortmeyer
New Jersey Randy Wood
New York Joe Mullen
North Dakota Fido Purpur
Ohio Dave Ellett
Oklahoma Tyler Arnason
Oregon Derek Gustafson
Texas Brian Leetch
Utah Steve Konowalchuk
Vermont John LeClair
Virginia Eric Weinrich
Washington Wayne Hicks
Wisconsin Gary Suter

None: Arkansas, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wyoming.

Isn't Mathieu Schneider from Rhode Island? I'd give him the nod over Boucher.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
They don't belong in the top ten, but here's my honorable mentions for two US players I enjoyed watching and who gave a lot to their respective teams; there's more to a team than just scoring or winning trophies :

Ken Morrow

Dave Christian

Chris Nilan

(Yes, Chris Nilan. I'll always respect an amazing goon who can score around 15-20 goals, doesn't take bad penalities, and is able to play on arguably one of the best shut down line of the late '80 : Gainey-Carbonneau-Nilan)

...homer choice, I know...

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
MiamiScreamingEagles said:

Alabama Audley Tuten
Alaska Scott Gomez
Arizona Jim Brown
California Lee Norwood
Colorado John Grahame
Connecticut Craig Janney
Delaware Mark Eaton
Florida Dan Hinote
Georgia Eric Chouinard
Idaho Pat Shea
Illinois Chris Chelios
Iowa Scott Clemmensen
Maine Danny Bolduc
Maryland Jeff Halpern
Michigan Mike Modano
Minnesota Frank Brimsek
Missouri Pat LaFontaine
Montana Bill Lindsay
Nebraska Jed Ortmeyer
New Jersey Randy Wood
New York Joe Mullen
North Dakota Fido Purpur
Ohio Dave Ellett
Oklahoma Tyler Arnason
Oregon Derek Gustafson
Texas Brian Leetch
Utah Steve Konowalchuk
Vermont John LeClair
Virginia Eric Weinrich
Washington Wayne Hicks
Wisconsin Gary Suter

Good job, nice list. But often times, players are BORN in one state, but grow up somewhere else. For instance, Jason Blake of the Islanders was born in North Dakota, and lived there until he was about 12 before moving to Minnesota. Same with David Tanabe. And Dan Hinote didn't grow up in Florida, I think it was in Duluth? Not sure on that one, I saw a piece on him once that made it sound like that.
But great job on the list!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
jiggs 10 said:
Good job, nice list. But often times, players are BORN in one state, but grow up somewhere else. For instance, Jason Blake of the Islanders was born in North Dakota, and lived there until he was about 12 before moving to Minnesota. Same with David Tanabe. And Dan Hinote didn't grow up in Florida, I think it was in Duluth? Not sure on that one, I saw a piece on him once that made it sound like that.
But great job on the list!

Thank you. :) Training and birthplaces can be different but I thought this was the most consistent template; certainly not perfect.

Dan Diamond's "Total NHL" book lists Moorhead, MN as place of birth for Blake.

Edit: The NHL site does, too.

Last edited:

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
23MiamiScreamingEagles said:
A book I have lists his birthplace as New York, NY.[/QUOTE0

Schneider was born in New York, but lived mostly in New Jersey until it was time for high school.

His family then moved to Woonsocket, Rhode Island so that he could attend hockey powerhouse Mt. St. Charles Academy.

He only stayed there for three years and then went to the OHL and played with Cornwall.

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:

Rod Langway was born in Taiwan, but trained in the U.S. He may be the best defensive defenceman of the last 25 years. A bull physically who ate up big minutes and could shut down the opposition's top forward. So good defensively, he was a two-time Norris winner and a Hart Trophy runner-up.

And considering that the Norris is typically given to an offensive defenseman, Langway's accomplishments as Norris winner are all that much more remarkable. I still rue the day that the Habs traded Langway away ... one of the lower points in Habs history!

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
StorminZ said:
And considering that the Norris is typically given to an offensive defenseman, Langway's accomplishments as Norris winner are all that much more remarkable. I still rue the day that the Habs traded Langway away ... one of the lower points in Habs history!

Yeah, it turns out to be one of the worst trade in Habs history. But we have to put it in context.

First, I remember reading few months after the trade that some inside source stated Langway didn't want to play for a canadian team and prefers to play for an american one.

Second, at the time, Ryan Walter was probably the best young Power Foward in the game. The year before, he just had 87 pts in 78 games + 150 pm, at only 24 years old. He was the type of player every team wants.

Add to that Rick Green who was a great stay at home d-man, despite all his injuries that no one could predict.

And after all, Habs' did won the stanley cup in '86. Did Washington won it? And the year after the '86 cup, Walter went on to score 19 points in 17 playoffs games.

The problem with walter is that he completly stopped to be a gritty player after having discover religion. He pass from being a 140+ pm gritty player to a 40 pm regular player. This is another one that Hab's management couldn't predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->