Shout out to girls hockey

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Are they going to have to do an MRI or is it more of a bad sprain? I just feel your pain because I shredded my ACL and had to have it reconstructed.....WHICH SUCKED! Hope it's nothing like that.

You are on a bad stretch! But those things happen when you play hard. Not fun, but par for the course.

Good luck!

Nah, our team doctor took a look. Bad sprain, but no tearing. Thank god.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Its really dumb that even in all-female hockey there's no checking...I just don't see the logic in that. I didn't realise that until about 6mths ago. It should depend on the level of play, for both men and women.

Me personally I don't play contact hockey, but that's because I can't afford to be injured in my line of work. Its a career vs sport thing. But for those who really get into it, it should be allowed.

Emmy Cate

Oct 2, 2006
Trenton, ON
www.myspace.com
in my school league, we do checks, even though we're not supposed too.

and speaking of injuries
I forgot to put my knee brace on the other night and got slashed in the back of my knee... stupid person on the other team.

but I agree... womens hockey is much dirtier then guys, most sports are in teh female division

I was at a soccer game a few years ago and two girls got into a fist fight

and you should see THS in rugby season

Niftygrl16

Dec 20, 2006
Rhode Island

and speaking of injuries
I forgot to put my knee brace on the other night and got slashed in the back of my knee... stupid person on the other team.

but I agree... womens hockey is much dirtier then guys, most sports are in teh female division

OUCH!! Yeah, some girls get pissed when you steal the puck from them and their first reaction is to slash. I went out and got the shin guards with the wrap around pad in the back for that purpose.

We had a game last month end in a brawl at center ice......I have to admit that I thought it was great!! :fight:

Hockeymom67

Aug 24, 2004
Montreal
Nice to see so many women players here on this board.Can't always determine who's who with the names ..
I play once a week on a rec league ,nothing interesting like some of you .Never took it up in school ,no time but now wish I did ....Keep it up girls

RJ8812*

and speaking of injuries

uhhhh, i wouldnt say girls hockey is dirtier then guys hockey

girls just give out more cheap shots, especially with their sticks

Niftygrl16

Dec 20, 2006
Rhode Island
I wish.

I'm still sidelined for probably 3 weeks, if not more. :cry:

Oh man.....that's rough! Sorry to hear that:( . I know how I would feel if I were in that same situation so I can sympathize.

Just make sure you take the time you need to get better. As much as you want to get back into it as soon as possible, you don't want to make it worse. I speak from experience!!

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Thanks.

It's tough just waiting. Though my one team will see what it's like to play without their top player. Then they can stop *****ing at me and calling me a puck hog. Can't wait till next year, playing tier one. IF my knee gets better.

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
So,

For a long time I have wanted to play hockey, but $ issues, lack of skating ability and whatnot have kept me from it. I think that I'm going to start playing next year if I can figure out how to skate and take a team that will take a newbie under its wings.

I've grown up loving hockey, and it's not like I'm new to the game. I have a bf who used to play fairly competitively, and still refs high level hockey, so he can help me out a bit, but do any of you have some tips for someone who can't really skate well/is just starting out?

Thanks team :)

Oh ps- I'm only 5'3 --> is this going to be a problem?

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
So,

For a long time I have wanted to play hockey, but $ issues, lack of skating ability and whatnot have kept me from it. I think that I'm going to start playing next year if I can figure out how to skate and take a team that will take a newbie under its wings.

I've grown up loving hockey, and it's not like I'm new to the game. I have a bf who used to play fairly competitively, and still refs high level hockey, so he can help me out a bit, but do any of you have some tips for someone who can't really skate well/is just starting out?

Thanks team :)

Oh ps- I'm only 5'3 --> is this going to be a problem?

I have a few suggestions (I was in the same boat 2 years ago)

First: POWERSKATING POWERSKATING POWERSKATING. Get into even a summer class, it will do wonders.
Second: Look for women's classes. Calgary has them all the time, I'm sure Victoria would too.
Third: Find a beiginner team. (NCHL or other)
Fourth: Public skate
Fifth: Have fun and don't worry about your play. If you don't score a goal all season, who cares. As long as you're learning and having fun, you're doing great!

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
I have a few suggestions (I was in the same boat 2 years ago)

First: POWERSKATING POWERSKATING POWERSKATING. Get into even a summer class, it will do wonders.
Second: Look for women's classes. Calgary has them all the time, I'm sure Victoria would too.
Third: Find a beiginner team. (NCHL or other)
Fourth: Public skate
Fifth: Have fun and don't worry about your play. If you don't score a goal all season, who cares. As long as you're learning and having fun, you're doing great!

Hey, thanks for these tips...I just found out that in one of the breaks between classes the university rink has skating on, so some of us are going there...it should be interesting. I'm definitely stoked even though its going to be next year.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Just though I would bring up the women's thread!

n713545444_893055_6570.jpg

This is our allstar team. We played last weekend (our team won).

There was me (far right, bottom with the orange socks), my D partner (beside me) and our OTHER Dman (third from the left on the bottom)

We voted in 3 D...I had to play forward.

Heh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->