Shouldn't we all just relax a bit?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't think we need huge personnel changes (apart from getting Reaves out of the lineup and maybe improving 3C), but the fact that we haven't yet been able to get it up to play any team defense all year is concerning. I'm not on the trade for the hell of it bandwagon, even if we don't play well all year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
beats-me-I-dont-know-IDK-no-idea-Steve-Martin-think-thinking-GIF.gif

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
We won back to back cups. I'll be pretty relaxed for about half a decade.

I still want to see competitive hockey though.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
As much as I want to chill and that this team is B2B Champs, I can't really think of the possibility of even missing the playoffs with this roster

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Actually, I am doubting that they will make the playoffs, and I am fine with that. Many on this board fail to grasp the concept that the pens are utterly on fumes, both mentally and physically. Add in the loss of some key guys, and the "X" factor (everyone wants to beat us) and a year off will allow some healing and hunger to return.

Reactions: td_ice

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
We won back to back cups. I'll be pretty relaxed for about half a decade.

I still want to see competitive hockey though.

I'm fine with a down year but in 5 years Crosby, Malkin will be close to retirement. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to win another Cup with our nucleus of players

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Actually, I am doubting that they will make the playoffs, and I am fine with that. Many on this board fail to grasp the concept that the pens are utterly on fumes, both mentally and physically. Add in the loss of some key guys, and the "X" factor (everyone wants to beat us) and a year off will allow some healing and hunger to return.
Sure, maybe the Caps and Preds have extra motivation to beat us. But we won the cup 6 + months ago and it’s a new season. I highly doubt opposing teams play that much harder against us.

I don’t know why people can’t see the real reason as to why we are struggling, our depth is pathetic. Sid and Geno are being asked to carry this team after winning back to back cups. They are being played too much because of our embarrassing depth.

We had 4 very good lines over the last 2 years and now we have 2. We’ve moved away from speed and skill to size and grit.

I don’t think this team, as is, makes the playoffs. You have to go for it every year with Sid and Geno in your lineup.

Last edited:

LiquorLicense

Jan 9, 2017
Sure, maybe the Caps and Preds have extra motivation to beat us. But we won the cup 6 + months ago and it’s a new season. I highly doubt opposing teams play that much harder against us.

I don’t know why people can’t see the real reason as to why we are struggling, our depth is pathetic. Sid and Geno are being asked to carry this team after winning back to back cups. They are being played too much because of our embarrassing depth.

We had 4 very good lines over the last 2 years and now we have 2. We’ve moved away from speed and skill to size and grit.

I don’t think this team, as is, makes the playoffs. You have to go for it every year with Sid and Geno in your lineup.

Come on now with the charade. We weren't that deep last year except for Cullen overperforming for much of the year and playoffs. Bonino was a solid 3rd line center but he wasn't THAT good. An upgrade from Sheahan ok, but don't get yourself too excited. The only time we showed glimmers of real depth were when HBK was firing which almost seems like a flash in the pan anymore. The team the last 2 years (more so last year) squeezed every last drop of hunger, discipline, and LUCK they could out of the roster, largely with Sullivans help. On paper we weren't necessarily anything special, compared to teams with similar skill. They just haven't made the effort this year yet, and they could use some scoring and spark out of the 3c position and line, Sheahan or trade, whichever comes first.

Reactions: Giskard

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
The pens end the season playing 5 sets of back to back nights in the last 14 games. Hoping they can build enough of a lead in the standings to prepare for those games as possible losses since they have not fared well thus far in back to backs.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm fine with a down year but in 5 years Crosby, Malkin will be close to retirement. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to win another Cup with our nucleus of players
Totally agree. Take this season to recharge the batteries. Have a long offseason. Get a pick in the top 15 that will contribute before they retire. Then load up and go for it again starting next season.

I wouldn't trade Sprong, and if you think he's ready I'd get him up to Pittsburgh to start getting some NHL experience. Get that guy ready to pump goals into the net for the next 5 years.

I would look to remove Hagelin from the roster this season or in the off season, to free cap and give the young guys a chance.

I'd look for the long term solution at 3C, not just a stopgap.

I'd decide if

Dumoulin Letang
Maatta Schultz

is my top 4 for the remainder of Malkin, Crosby, Letang and Kessel's careers, and if not make moves to address that.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Honestly, this season I find myself just as checked out as the Pens are, after winning twice. I'm not watching as many games. I passed on a trip to Vegas this month to see them play and I didn't go when they were in PHX. I've got other priorities right now and I've watched a whole lot of hockey over the past two years.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think what I'm most concerned about is that the Pens, after seeming to have cracked some sort of code to winning in the cap era NHL, appear to have altered course.

I think the course was altered for them.

I don't for a minute buy the so many games played bit, they had plenty of time off. They simply are just not the same team they once were. Nor was JR gonna wiggle his nose and poof, everything would be better (like some here thought with addition by subtraction and the young guys would seamlessly fill the voids.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I think the course was altered for them.

I don't for a minute buy the so many games played bit, they had plenty of time off. They simply are just not the same team they once were. Nor was JR gonna wiggle his nose and poof, everything would be better (like some here thought with addition by subtraction and the young guys would seamlessly fill the voids.

Your'e right- it probably was wishful thinking, but they had to sign some critical guys (Sheary/Dumo/Maata/Shultz) and that left them strapped and young/cheaper guys were given some opportunities. They didn't seize them, so now there may be some PAINFUL trades upcoming to fill those voids and sacrificing someone. That's life in the NHL salary cap world.

I'm sure we would've resigned Bones and traded for Sheahan if the cap didn't exist

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I definitely buy the games played reasoning. I have heard that referenced by a few ex players on NHLN radio. Most recently by Patrick O’Sullivan who said the amount of games played in the last two years is a huge factor.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I definitely buy the games played reasoning. I have heard that referenced by a few ex players on NHLN radio. Most recently by Patrick O’Sullivan who said the amount of games played in the last two years is a huge factor.

For sure. You’d think that could be partially managed with pre season and training. It’s a lot of things that contributed. I think we’d hope some of the WBS guys could have filled in some of the voids but that hasn’t really happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad