Shouldn't we all just relax a bit?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Look - I understand the Penguins are in the midst of a slump, but shouldn't we all just kinda chill out?

I am resigned to the fact that there will be a significant drop-off due to the factors below.

• Missing #1 D-Man - Let's face it, Schultz is really the key player on the back end that drives this whole team. He logs big minutes, he is an offensive catalyst, and he is the best PP QB on the team. Without him, this team is in a big hole. Without his stellar play last year, I don't think the Penguins win the Stanley cup.

• Missing #1 Goalie - I don't know if we have begun to take his play for granted, but Murray is a true phenom in every sense of the word and this team becomes significantly worse without him. Murray kept the Pens in so many games that they had no business being in - that's just a fact.

How can you expect to win games when your #1 goalie is out of the lineup for an extended period of time?

• Letang's Underperformance - I gotta call a spade a spade here - Letang has just flat out underperformed relative to how much he gets paid. He is still finding his game and is doing alright on the offensive side of the puck, but not so much on the defensive side.

• Other Injuries - Malkin, Hornqvist, Cole - core players have missed extended time and have been banged up.

Bottom line: Penguins aren't playing with a full deck. It's not realistic to expect them to win every game when they are missing key players due to injuries.

If they continue to play like this when their full roster is healthy, then I'll get worried
. Until then, I think it's logical to expect a drop-off when so many players are out with injuries.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The pens have been pretty healthy this year.

Yeah, they have had some guys miss a few games, but that's just life in the NHL.

Very rarely will you see any team 100% healthy.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Well, I would say "yes", if this board were populated with healthy, well-adjusted individuals, who know that life is a series of ups and downs and that winning isn't everything because they have something else worthwhile in their lives.

So, I guess that's a no?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
IKYmXkv.gif

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
This team is currently .500 and out of a playoff spot. I'm not panicking, because they've been here before, but I am most definitely concerned. They are playing as if they are owed a playoff spot, instead of going out there and earning it.

The real test of this team is how they'll play come February and March.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm pretty relaxed. It would suck to miss the playoffs for the first time since forever but we've been in sports fan nirvana for almost 2 years now, tough to complain imo.

Reactions: Deczola73

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Our bar is always set high. That's to be expected when you have Sid and Geno. While we do tend to over-react to mediocre performance, I think the issues run a little deeper with this team. It's apparent on the ice and in the stats.

Your list: No #1D, no #1G, Malkin/Murray/Horny/Cole injuries, Letang's woes

While all of those are absolutely true and affecting the team at some point, there are still struggles even when we DO have all those guys in the lineup and clicking.

So while we shouldn't be sounding the alarms and blowing up the roster, we do need to take this play seriously and make some changes.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I just want ONE line that can outscore the opposition at even-strength. Unless/until they can do that, the entire team is pretty much dead in the water.

Reactions: KIRK

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
We have seen how cup hangovers can have an impact. We were fortunate last year that we had almost everyone back. This year is our hangover year. Don't take the playoffs for granted.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm not panicking yet, but the results so far are not encouraging...

Still plenty of time to get things together, but I think a couple moves still need to be made and the team has to find the urgency they played with in the last 2 years in order to have another shot at the Cup. Right now I don't see that speed, I don't see the same determination to block every shot and I don't see 4 lines that are meshing really well together.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
A few things:

1. While Murray is our number 1 goalie, Jarry has actually been more than fine and his stats this season, although in limited action, are superior. I don't think goaltending has anything to do with our mini slump post the 4 game win streak.

2. Missing Schultz sucks, but he hasn't exactly been lighting it up this year.

3. Compared to year's past, this team has been very healthy so I don't buy the injury excuse for their record, particularly when they played well without Geno.

4. This team needs a wake up call and a roster improvement.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
JG Wentworth?

It's your money, use it when YOU need it.

I think that we're in one of those happy medium situations. We know Sid and Geno have another gear - and we know that the supporting cast is capable of more... What we don't know is what's going on with Letang nor our 3C/4C situation. So while I think there's room for concern, there's equally room for being slightly content. We're not burning through the league - but we've also played a ton of hockey and have every single team in the league showing up to make a statement against the Pens. Once the agenda shifts in 2018 to whomever is top in the league (Tampa for instance), I think things can be re-visited on what concerns the Pens are having. Remember, it was just two seasons ago where things didn't change until January/February after trades and a coaching change. Perhaps one or two solid moves from GMJR and we can get back to feeling confident every night. Personally my only confidence loss in the team is due to effort this year, not compatibility or skill.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, I would say "yes", if this board were populated with healthy, well-adjusted individuals, who know that life is a series of ups and downs and that winning isn't everything because they have something else worthwhile in their lives.

So, I guess that's a no?

Dude, we've only won two Cups in a row. When we win three in a row, then I'll be able to enjoy myself.

(Until the summer time -- when I'll start freaking out about a 4th Cup in a row being in jeopardy)

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad