Should Winnipeg, and Quebec City be back in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Quebec City, and Winnipeg? Should those cities have teams back in the NHL?

Certain NHL franchises south of the border havn't done well, I'm not going to point any fingers at what ones, but some have not. There was a stat put out not too long ago, that 33% of the leagues revenues were generated by the 6 Canadian teams. And that if you included Detroit, and Minnesota, and Buffalo, which draw a lot of their revenue from Canada aswell, which accounts for 44 % of the league revenue.

My question is obviously, based on the lack of success of some NHL franchises in the states, and the numbers that have proven a great part of the league revenue comes from north of the border, do you think that merrits on its own, that the NHL should strongly consider going back to those cities?

brownman*

The NHL would still be there if they had adequate arenas, ownership blah blah blah

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
The NHL would still be there if they had adequate arenas, ownership blah blah blah

Yes, but if adequate Arenas were built, and good ownership in place, should they go back?

And the Winnipeg arena is adequate. The thinking being it's better to have a full 16 thousand seat arena, then a half empty 18 thousand seater.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Here's a link to my numbers, just incase anyone was wondering where I was getting them from...
http://www.thestar.com/article/180345

NHL fans in Canada pay up

Feb 10, 2007 04:30 AM
Kevin McGran
SPORTS REPORTER

Canadian fans truly are the backbone of the NHL.

The six Canadian teams, representing 20 per cent of the 30-team league, account for 33.3 per cent of all NHL revenues.

That means Canadian team fans cough up an estimated $733 million (all figures U.S.) of the league's $2.2 billion revenue.

It doesn't say anything about the 44% representing Buffalo, Minnesota, and Detroit in there, but I'll look for the article that includes that.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Awesome! Another poster who should just ignore the thread if he doesn't like it!

Evidently this is the brushfire theory.

People start topics based on limited or incorrect information, and they get discredited.

But these people so much want whatever it is that they're starting threads about, they figure that if they start as many threads on the subject as possible in as many forums as possible, eventually one will slip through the cracks and no one will challenge the theories presented.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
It's absolute BS that this thread was moved! This is a legitament subject on the NHL talk board! Ya, there have been threads like this in the past, and there's a reason, people in this country are passionate about the sport, and know that these cities deserve to be in the NHL again!
Any mod care to explain to me, why they decided that this subject wasn't on topic for the board I posted it on, pm me.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.

People start topics based on limited or incorrect information, and they get discredited.

But these people so much want whatever it is that they're starting threads about, they figure that if they start as many threads on the subject as possible in as many forums as possible, eventually one will slip through the cracks and no one will challenge the theories presented.

And what's wrong with the theories presented? There are 9 million people in the province of Quebec, there should be, based on that alone, another team in that province.

And like I said, better to have a full 16 k seat arena, than a half full 18 k seat arena in some of the US markets, that continuously fill to around half capacity.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Quebec City, and Winnipeg? Should those cities have teams back in the NHL?

Certain NHL franchises south of the border havn't done well, I'm not going to point any fingers at what ones, but some have not. There was a stat put out not too long ago, that 33% of the leagues revenues were generated by the 6 Canadian teams. And that if you included Detroit, and Minnesota, and Buffalo, which draw a lot of their revenue from Canada aswell, which accounts for 44 % of the league revenue.

My question is obviously, based on the lack of success of some NHL franchises in the states, and the numbers that have proven a great part of the league revenue comes from north of the border, do you think that merrits on its own, that the NHL should strongly consider going back to those cities?
Well, since there is nothing to stop some owner from making a business decision to move to Winnipeg or Qubec (if he thought he could make more money), and little to stop an potential Winnipeg or Quebec owner from out bidding any other ownership groups should a team be available for sale (if he thought the team would generate more profits and be worth more in Winnipeg/Quebec than in it's current location or in any other competing cities), I guess the market has already answeed that question - NO.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005

Well, in all fairness, if the original poster would drop 'Winnipeg' from the title this would be a more 'original' thread. Last fall-ish there was a lengthy Whaler thread going, and of coarse there is the Pegger thread you linked so, we need, scratch that, we deserve a Les Nords thread.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
How about look at the numbers I've provided, and the link to go with it!

WHY NOT move Toronto instead to a US Based market, LeafErikson, there's a majority reason why the NHL no longer exists in either Winnipeg, Quebec, or Hartford, care to explain why even pro hockey in general ie franchises affiliated w/ an NHL franchise have left Quebec City and other Atlantic Canadian markets in favor of the QMJHL or in the case of Quebec were affiliated w/ the Canadiens but no one bothered and turned their attention to the Junior ranks in Quebec where the Remparts consistently outdrew the AHL franchise.

Would MLSE EVEN be in Ricoh Coliseum if they didn't own the franchise or the building?:shakehead

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
How about look at the numbers I've provided, and the link to go with it!

We've already discussed this article - the fact that Toronto and Montreal sell well doesn't mean that all Canadian cities are pulling the entire NHL weight.

It'd be like saying "The Red Sox, Yankees and Marlins drive X% of baseball revenues."

Wetcoaster

It's absolute BS that this thread was moved! This is a legitament subject on the NHL talk board! Ya, there have been threads like this in the past, and there's a reason, people in this country are passionate about the sport, and know that these cities deserve to be in the NHL again!
Any mod care to explain to me, why they decided that this subject wasn't on topic for the board I posted it on, pm me.
Perhaps because it is about the BUSINESS of hockey????????

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com

so why dont you generate the money that is needed and buy a NHL team and move them to whatever city you would like?

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
WHY NOT move Toronto instead to a US Based market, LeafErikson, there's a majority reason why the NHL no longer exists in either Winnipeg, Quebec, or Hartford, care to explain why even pro hockey in general ie franchises affiliated w/ an NHL franchise have left Quebec City and other Atlantic Canadian markets in favor of the QMJHL or in the case of Quebec were affiliated w/ the Canadiens but no one bothered and turned their attention to the Junior ranks in Quebec where the Remparts consistently outdrew the AHL franchise.

Would MLSE EVEN be in Ricoh Coliseum if they didn't own the franchise or the building?:shakehead

Major Junior hockey is much more popular than the AHL or ECHL all across Canada. I don't know the reason for it, but it's true.

Examples:

Quebec City as you mentioned

Toronto and Hamilton: the Marlies and Bulldogs games are half empty yet the many major junior teams in southern Ontario sell out

Winnipeg and Victoria have AHL and ECHL teams respectively but no major junior teams; they both do very well in attendance with the minor pro teams, but there is a sizable part of the hockey fan population in both cities that would prefer a major junior team and complain about this.

GHOST

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
We've already discussed this article - the fact that Toronto and Montreal sell well doesn't mean that all Canadian cities are pulling the entire NHL weight.

It'd be like saying "The Red Sox, Yankees and Marlins drive X% of baseball revenues."

I have a hard time believing that the 6 Canadian franchises generate 33.3% of the NHL's revenue. If that were true, it would mean that the NHL's revenue from the Canadian market place as a whole would be more that 40% and maybe higher, since the NHL makes a lot of money in Canada other than the revenues derived from the six teams: CBC/NHIC and TSN contracts, merchandise, licensing, internet and other media, etc. For example, if 100,000 people are watching the SCFs in Winnipeg, advertising dollars from that audience flows to the league through the sales of national TV rights to HNIC.

What I do believe is possible is that 33.3% of the NHL revenue comes from the Canadian market place. In fact, if you add up the numbers it seems about right.

GHOST

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad