Should we change the first line?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
JT's line is not producing and haven't been on point for a while now.

Do you think it's time to switch things up ad move players around?

If so, who would you move up and down and what should the new lines look like?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The problem is that there aren't many good first line options for JT's line on the roster without breaking up Barzal's line, could be interesting to have Barzal and JT on the same line but then the other 3 lines would be pointless

I'd bring up JHS and send Fritz down and run this

Jane/JT/JHS
Beau/Barzal/Eberle
Lee/Cizikas/Bailey
Badd/Wagner/Clutterschmuck

Can't hurt
JHS may awaken JT

Reactions: MattBarzal

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Whatever line Barzal is on is the 1st line, that's been obvious and will be even more so moving forward. We could label lines by number or TOI, but the most effective line is the one that Barzal is centering AINEC. Hopefully we get a coach that realizes this and ices them accordingly.

Reactions: dood

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
At this point they aren’t making the playoffs. Since JT isn’t signed long term yet, and it looks like Snow/Weight are here to stay, they might as well bump Barzal’s line up, Tavares down to the fourth line, and start playing with the middle two lines to find some combos that can work if Tavares doesn’t return.

Nelson-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd-Beauvillier-Bailey
Lee-Cizikas-Wagner
Johnston-Tavares-Clutterbuck

:sarcasm:

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
The problem is that there aren't many good first line options for JT's line on the roster without breaking up Barzal's line, could be interesting to have Barzal and JT on the same line but then the other 3 lines would be pointless

Jane/JT/JHS
Beau/Barzal/Eberle
Lee/Cizikas/Bailey

Can't hurt
JHS may awaken JT

I don't know if it was maybe tried during practice, but if there's not much of a third period left and the Isles are one goal behind, I would try getting Tavares and Barzal on the ice at the same time. But what do we know, maybe they don't work well together.

And while I understand we're getting desperate here, seriously, JHS? C'mon, let the big baby stay where he is now. If he was half the player some people think he is, his situation would be different. Does he have the makings of a decent/above average player? Sure. Does he actually uses them? No. And his stats at Bridgeport show this. If (and that's a big if) he would get his **** together, why not.

Whatever line Barzal is on is the 1st line, that's been obvious and will be even more so moving forward. We could label lines by number or TOI, but the most effective line is the one that Barzal is centering AINEC. Hopefully we get a coach that realizes this and ices them accordingly.

I would leave Barzal where he is - which is second line - because it works. It's one of the not so many things working in this team right now, so why the hell change it? Tavares' line is still getting the first line treatment from the opposite team(s) and drawing most of their top guns, so let it stay that way. And Barzal can work his magic on the second. He's getting a lot of hits enough as it is, no need to do anything that makes this number go up.

Besides, the kid is only 20 years old. It's his first full season in the NHL. Let's give him some more time to develop as long as we can. I understand that he's this new shiny toy that's kinda amazing, but still, we still have the resources to keep him on a second line with plenty of TOI and it should, in my opinion, stay that way.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't know if it was maybe tried during practice, but if there's not much of a third period left and the Isles are one goal behind, I would try getting Tavares and Barzal on the ice at the same time. But what do we know, maybe they don't work well together.

And while I understand we're getting desperate here, seriously, JHS? C'mon, let the big baby stay where he is now. If he was half the player some people think he is, his situation would be different. Does he have the makings of a decent/above average player? Sure. Does he actually uses them? No. And his stats at Bridgeport show this. If (and that's a big if) he would get his **** together, why not.

Never JHS's biggest fan but at this point we need to change the look and Fritz on that line was hard to watch in the Habs game

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Jane/JT/JHS
Beau/Barzal/Eberle
Lee/Cizikas/Bailey

Can't hurt
JHS may awaken JT

At this point even I will concede no reason not to bring up JHS. What's the difference at this point.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
This will be very disliked but, we really do and have missed Matt Martin. That 4th line not only was the best in the league they single handily turned our season around in the lock out year. I always go back to that one Rangers game where they just dominated and we went on a incredible run right after that.

I also understand the money situation and why we couldn't sign him. I just think what we lost was something that wasn't as easily replaceable as many thought. Many thought we can get any 4th line at less than a million to replace him. Never worked out that way in fact we had a guy in Kulemin making 4mil a year playing in his spot.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
This will be very disliked but, we really do and have missed Matt Martin. That 4th line not only was the best in the league they single handily turned our season around in the lock out year. I always go back to that one Rangers game where they just dominated and we went on a incredible run right after that.

I also understand the money situation and why we couldn't sign him. I just think what we lost was something that wasn't as easily replaceable as many thought. Many thought we can get any 4th line at less than a million to replace him. Never worked out that way in fact we had a guy in Kulemin making 4mil a year playing in his spot.
I believe that "the best 4th line in the league" is a myth. Anyway, even if I'm wrong, 4th lines don't make a team a contender.

I'm fully satisfied with Ross Johnston. He's 6th best revelation out of this season after Barzal, Eberle, Bailey, Beau, and Pulock.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I believe that "the best 4th line in the league" is a myth. Anyway, even if I'm wrong, 4th lines don't make a team a contender.

I'm fully satisfied with Ross Johnston. He's 6th best revelation out of this season after Barzal, Eberle, Bailey, Beau, and Pulock.

I will say reality since when he left this team has played as soft as Charmin. When he was here that 4th line used to change games for us. the Rangers game and a game VS Philadelphia always stick out in my mind. Heck, even the Pittsburgh series that line was wreaking havoc.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Charge the first line? Absolutely - they should be paying us to watch.

Oh, wait, you said change....

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Screw it, move JT to the wing and mix everything up. Who cares at this point?

JT-Cizikas-JHS
Ladd-Barzal-Ebs
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Beau-Wags-Clutt

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Holy crap, lines at practice today had Fritz and Bailey switching spots in the lineup...

Holy hell that is poor coaching. Fritz should not play one more game this year.

JHS needs to be RW1 or keep it the same. Zeeker needs to be 3C. Nelson over to wing, and Wagner at C where he played every game this year.

Johnston in as 4W instead of Fritz.

Reactions: dood

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Screw it, move JT to the wing and mix everything up. Who cares at this point?

JT-Cizikas-JHS
Ladd-Barzal-Ebs
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Beau-Wags-Clutt

I see you've turned the famous line blender on. Only issue is Ho-Sang is on the 4th line in the AHL, he basically needs to move up 7 lines in the organization. They are too stubborn to put him on the 1st line since that would be basically admitting it was a mistake to have him down in the AHL.

I think Ho-Sang either a) does get the call up after a hot streak or b)remains down in the AHL and is traded by Snow at the draft

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If we actually see Fritz play on the first line then we know that the team has officially given up. No matter what we will suck, but if they put Ladd there or Nelson there, etc., then whatever we suck anyway. But when you putt Tanner Fritz on the first line you have quit on the season. Ross Johnston would be better there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->