Should we be more focused on attracting/drafting Prairie and Mid-westers

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Does Buff's signing today point to the type of players that the Jets should be more focusing on attracting, to be able to retain them for long term commitments? If we draft or trade for players born in Boston, Detroit (Michigan for that matter), Toronto, Vancouver are we asking for problems? When they become established players and headed to UFA it seems to me that they are more likely to be attracted to the Big City Lights than let's say a young man from Regina or Thunder Bay. If all things were equal, it seems to make sense to me that we are far more likely to retain the prairie or mid-western boy.

I think of what Buff said today (liking the area and close to home) and what Hamonic wants to do, is this something we should be evaluating closer and including in our efforts on developing in our long term team development strategy?

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I don't know....seems like Americans & Euros are happier to play for Canadian franchises than many of the top level Canadian born players are (unless you draft them).

Last edited:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No.

This is kind of silly. Players will play where the money and the rings are.

Winnipeg Jets haven't made it past the 1st round of the NHL playoffs since 1986. They have NEVER won a 2nd round game in 36 years. Winnipeg historically is the worst destination when it comes to playoff runs. Does any other team have that distinction?

Players will play where they want to play. Winnipeg is a small city, playing in the coldest climate, with the highest murder rate in Canada, operating with the lowest average per player salaries.

Regardless of if you draft Westerners or Prairie born hockey players, Winnipeg isn't exactly a destination unless you are born in Manitoba (Hamonic) or grew up closer to Winnipeg than Minnesota / Calgary / Edmonton (Byfuglien)

Derfel*

Winnipeg Jets haven't made it past the 1st round of the NHL playoffs since 1986. They have NEVER won a 2nd round game in 36 years. Winnipeg historically is the worst destination when it comes to playoff runs. Does any other team have that distinction?

Players will play where they want to play. Winnipeg is a small city, playing in the coldest climate, with the highest murder rate in Canada, operating with the lowest average per player salaries.

Regardless of if you draft Westerners or Prairie born hockey players, Winnipeg isn't exactly a destination unless you are born in Manitoba (Hamonic) or grew up closer to Winnipeg than Minnesota / Calgary / Edmonton (Byfuglien)

That's Jets 1.0, mostly. Different franchise.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
I will go with yes if the prospects in question are extremely close in skill.. Ones from Regina and one is from LA or something.. I think we should take the Regina kid every time.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
In terms of drafting talent that us why they interview the kids. Find out if they want to play hockey OR they want to play hockey in a big city kind of attitude. You really want the ones that will play hockey in Poland if that is their path to the NHL. Will strap on the goalie pads if the coach thinks that will help the team win. At the time they are free agents they usually have families and then lots of outside factors come into play.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
no. no. NOOOOOO. I mean where should this lead to? Teams like Winnipeg, Carolina, Columbus, Minnesota, Calgary, Edmonton and Buffalo can't draft players from attractive regions/cities because they might want to leave at some point because they want to be somwhere different? In like... every other human in other situations and cities?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Draft the best. Then your team does well. Then you get known for winning. Then players want to stay.

That's exactly it.

A different sport, but it's been brought up that it's the Green Bay model. A place where the game is loved and they've got a rich history, but let's be honest, it's cold and quite boring otherwise.

The thing is they drafted good players and built a winning team and that attracts more players.

Had nothing to do with drafting local players.

James Lahey

Jun 24, 2015
Winnipeg
As awesome as it would be to have Toews and Patrick next year :naughty: I think your business decisions should be based on best available. I can't stand drafting based on team need, and drafting or signing based on location of birth/upbringing would be significantly worse than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad