Should there be a rule that you can't skate or pass the puck backwards after crossing the redline on 3v3 OT?

Rule to prevent going backwards on OT

• Yes

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 55 72.4%

• Total voters

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Then someone could theoretically get penalized if they try to pass to the point and the point man just misses or whifs?

I'd say no. It doesn't improve the game in any way that I can see IMO

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I can’t wait to watch every rush end with the player getting pinned to the boards or the puck getting dumped into the corner because the player can’t pass it to the second wave of the attack

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
It's been suggested, but it wouldn't work as well as it does with basketball because a missed shot or bouncing pass can easily make it's way back to the defensive zone. If you make it dependent on intention, then that leaves it up to ref descretion which isn't ideal either.

Reactions: Summer Rose

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
How the f*** is No winning this heavily?

3 on 3 has, more often than not, become a snooze-fest game of keep away.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If you re-cross the red you have to dump the puck in (ie cede possession) within 3s or it gets treated as an icing with a no-change faceoff in your end.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Then someone could theoretically get penalized if they try to pass to the point and the point man just misses or whifs?

I'd say no. It doesn't improve the game in any way that I can see IMO
3 on 3 is the problem as it's not realistic hockey and personally I hate it but a lot of goals and excitement happens so my guess is the NHL isn't catering to my wants any time soon.

That being said the OP has a really good point this purposefully skating out of the offensive zone just plain sucks.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I am of the opinion that the 3 on 3 is fine as it is, assuming they're going to stick to 3 on 3. I'd like to see it extended to ten minutes instead of five, but the NHLPA would fight me on this.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
3 on 3 is the problem as it's not realistic hockey and personally I hate it but a lot of goals and excitement happens so my guess is the NHL isn't catering to my wants any time soon.

That being said the OP has a really good point this purposefully skating out of the offensive zone just plain sucks.
Go back to 4v4, and then have them play out the 5 minutes. If someone scores, drop the puck at centre ice. Play until the clock hits zero.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
There should be a rule that overtimes be played 5 on 5 for ten minutes, and if no one scores the game should just end in a tie

Reactions: DaveG

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
why make all these rules and changes to 3 on 3 when you can just get rid of OT all together.

People forgot how exciting the last few minutes of a hockey game was.

Sure ties are frustrating but they kept win-less or lossl-ess streaks going.

Players will learn how to be clutch in the last few minutes in the 3rd instead of just waiting for overtime.

the last few minutes in a close game was equivalent to a playoff game but that compete has gone way down since they introduced 4on4 shootout and 3on3

The best part of Hockey was how hard teams compete for a win.
it was all the work you do to get that goal.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
why make all these rules and changes to 3 on 3 when you can just get rid of OT all together.

People forgot how exciting the last few minutes of a hockey game was.

Sure ties are frustrating but they kept win-less or lossl-ess streaks going.

Players will learn how to be clutch in the last few minutes in the 3rd instead of just waiting for overtime.

the last few minutes in a close game was equivalent to a playoff game but that compete has gone way down since they introduced 4on4 shootout and 3on3

The best part of Hockey was how hard teams compete for a win.
it was all the work you do to get that goal.
Do the points in 3-2-1 and you achieve this with including the overtime, 3v3 or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad