Player Discussion Should the Wild Acquire another goaltender?

Should the Wild acquire another goaltender?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They'll need to for sure, but you have to assume the guys in the draft are many years away. KK was drafted in 2014, and we're sitting here in 2019 hoping he can stay in the minors at least another year.
That and goaltenders often take a pretty windy road to the NHL. Having some in the system is better than not having any, but the more important thing is to maintain a defense that you can play any "replacement level" goalie behind and still win games.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
They'll need to for sure, but you have to assume the guys in the draft are many years away. KK was drafted in 2014, and we're sitting here in 2019 hoping he can stay in the minors at least another year.
It would be interesting to give him a couple of games this year if the big club is totally out of it. I agree baptism by fire wouldn't be good for next year. I don't see next year's club doing much, so keep Doobs another year and wait.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Jimmy Howard would be a good under the radar good pickup he is having a good season and Detroit doesn’t defend like the Wild move except I don’t know his contract situation.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Jimmy Howard would be a good under the radar good pickup he is having a good season and Detroit doesn’t defend like the Wild move except I don’t know his contract situation.
Talking about in the offseason? UFA this summer probably looking for around the same money he's getting now or more ($5.2m).

If you're talking in-season, Detroit's ask is a 1st round pick...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Talking about in the offseason? UFA this summer probably looking for around the same money he's getting now or more ($5.2m).

If you're talking in-season, Detroit's ask is a 1st round pick...
Neither of those are anywhere close to what he will actually get

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hell yeah, brother.
howard is actually a guy that I like for a year or two if the Wild were to move Dubnyk. But I was thinking somewhere around $3M per. If somebody thinks he's worth $5M per, then that's the GM that Fenton should be talking to about trading Dubs.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Dubnyk is an average at best NHL goaltender. Stalock is an AHL at best level goaltender. Dubnyk would probably be fine as your starter if you had an actual backup that could step in when Dubnyk goes sideways for a stretch.

I personally would prefer to never have to watch either play for the Wild again.
Dubnyk is ok at times like against the wings yesterday.
He came up with timely saves and saved the game but the minute he cools and allows a soft goal, it all falls apart and Stalock has not shown that he can steal a game like Dubnyk did yesterday.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Dubnyk is ok at times like against the wings yesterday.
He came up with timely saves and saved the game but the minute he cools and allows a soft goal, it all falls apart and Stalock has not shown that he can steal a game like Dubnyk did yesterday.
I think Dubnyk is much better than just OK most of the time. My problem with him is that he always seems to find a way to be just bad enough to lose when the games matter. Add in the way that he refuses to ever take responsibility for anything, and I'm just tired of him.

The big reason that I want to trade him is because I think there are plenty of guys that can do what he does for this team. If you can get a decent asset or two for Dubnyk, and then sign someone just as good or better for just as much or less? Why wouldn't you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad