Should the NHL change the Draft rules

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
ShadowFax said:
Actually Pittsburgh is the center of the hockey universe when it comes to complaining about the draft and prospects. There were like 5 other threads in the last 3 months complaining about how the penguins drafted top 5 4 years in a row and shouldn't be allowed to do it again. This thread has a lot of mentioning of Pittsburgh also. Its not as far fetched as it sounds.

I don't think people have issue with them drafting top 5, more teams drafting first overall and having a chance to get 2 franchise players.

Personally i am all for the NBA style draft lottery that will make for a more entertaining format for starters but will also stop the same teams picking top 3 all the time. As for bad teams they still get good picks(4-6ish) so you can't complain it doesn't help them.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
TinCanCommunications said:
Can the melodrama.
You get defensive rather than engaging.
:shakehead As I said, there's nothing else to discuss because you're not about to let common sense and logic interfere with your own opinion.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Like I said 3 pages ago TinCan, you try enduring 4-5 horrible seasons in a row if you want these draft picks. I'm sure you're not willing to do that. I stopped reading two pages ago because I couldn't stand your ignorant and closed-minded comments, but I forgot your dream is to have a 5 team league with Detroit, Calgary, Ottawa, Dallas and Carolina, where only the teams "worthy" of high draft picks are able to attain them and every other team folds because they have no hope of getting better.

Also, make no mistake: The cap does NOT totally equal the playing field.

A Good Flying Bird*

Irish Blues said:
:shakehead As I said, there's nothing else to discuss because you're not about to let common sense and logic interfere with your own opinion.

What a cop out.

A Good Flying Bird*

UnderratedBrooks44 said:
Like I said 3 pages ago TinCan, you try enduring 4-5 horrible seasons in a row if you want these draft picks. I'm sure you're not willing to do that. I stopped reading two pages ago because I couldn't stand your ignorant and closed-minded comments, but I forgot your dream is to have a 5 team league with Detroit, Calgary, Ottawa, Dallas and Carolina, where only the teams "worthy" of high draft picks are able to attain them and every other team folds because they have no hope of getting better.

Also, make no mistake: The cap does NOT totally equal the playing field.

If you have 4 or 5 horrible seasons in a row, good lord, fire the freaking GM.
All the draft picks in the world aren't going to help you.

I do not WANT good teams to get great draft picks.
I want them to have a slim chance at getting a high draft pick.

There's a HUGE difference.
But all you want to do is paint with a broad brush, like your boy Irish Blues.

A Good Flying Bird*

ShadowFax said:
Actually Pittsburgh is the center of the hockey universe when it comes to complaining about the draft and prospects. There were like 5 other threads in the last 3 months complaining about how the penguins drafted top 5 4 years in a row and shouldn't be allowed to do it again. This thread has a lot of mentioning of Pittsburgh also. Its not as far fetched as it sounds.

So those Jaded should respond to people making complaints specifically about Pittsburgh. Not me.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
Personally i am all for the NBA style draft lottery that will make for a more entertaining format for starters but will also stop the same teams picking top 3 all the time. As for bad teams they still get good picks(4-6ish) so you can't complain it doesn't help them.

Agreed, and it also adds some hope for every team that misses the playoffs that maybe, just maybe they'll land the #1-#3 picks. I find the draft lotto very exciting in the NBA, I don't see why having it in the NHL would be a bad thing.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
'
Right. For a year. They could have easily turned it around with that core, no?
Having one really bad year doesn mean its time to bust it up and head to the basement of the league for five years, does it?

The year before, didn't Washington have 92 points? The year before that, 85 points?
So they have a bad start to the year, and they trade off Jagr, Bondra, Lang, Gonchar, Nylander, Anson Carter, Steve Konowalchuck ...

I mean, that's not just dumping Jagr. That's a complete freakin' fire sale.
That is blatant tanking.
Maybe it was completely about salary dumping.
Maybe it was in part to finish way down low and get a shot at Malkin/Ovechkin.
Either way, it is an example of an owner/GM who purposely flushed his season, and perhaps immediate future seasons, down the drain.

No, it was not possible nor was it simply one poor season.

You do understand the cyclical nature of sports, don’t you? You are aware of the fact that the NHL was primed for a new economic landscape upon the completion of the 03/04 season? You do realize that teams that are perpetually mediocre need to fall before real improvement can be made? You do understand the concept that players age and need to be replaced? You do grasp the idea that prospects and younger player need to be afforded the opportunity to play? You do understand that a lockout loomed on the horizon? You are aware of the adage better a year too early than a year too late? You do understand that all excepting two of your examples were to become UFA at season’s end? You are aware of the fact that the movement of players did not begin in earnest until just prior to the deadline (with the exception of Konowalchuk who demanded a trade on three separate occasions)? You do realize that specific players were brought in to accommodate one individual? You are aware of the fact that the team removed the coach to improve the situation? You are familiar with the concept of baby steps and seasonal progression?

No?

I think you do not possess a firm grasp on these rather simple concepts, or if you do, you certainly have not displayed them to date. If you are going to spout such rhetoric, it behooves you to have a smidgen of factual information first.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Jaded: You can say the same thing abot Yeats over and over but it doesn't make it right. The Caps would have had to turn all three ties in the last ten to wins or turn 2 loses into ties in order to move from 28 to 27.

Tin: I can't figure out if you are ignorant about the Caps '03-'04 season and their situation, not smart enough to comprehend, or you're trying to bait us into this discussion. I'll assume its the first for now. FYI: I don't think there's anything wrong with the 30-29-28...1 concept. That's what I thought should have happened last year.

You need to look at the Caps roster moves in 2004 and compare them to who would have been on the team now. Only Jagr and Lang would remain. Bondra, Kono, Gonch, Grier, Carter (from Jagr) would all be gone now with nothing to show for it. Jagr was a salary dump based on unknown economic landscape and no knowledge of salary reduction. All they knew was $20M in losses over the past few years were going to result in a $20M payroll... and Jagr at $11M was too much. Lang is the only move that doesn't make hockey sense. But perhaps they thought $5M was too much. Perhaps they were pschyed about Fleischman? He's done well in Hershey this year. At the end of the day, the Caps management actually had enough foresight (gulp! I can't believe it) to know that they'd be better off 2005 and beyond whether or not they got Ovi.

But as we sit here it may be easy to spend other people's money.

edit: what critter said :amazed:

A Good Flying Bird*

HockeyCritter said:
No, it was not possible nor was it simply one poor season.

You do understand the cyclical nature of sports, don’t you? You are aware of the fact that the NHL was primed for a new economic landscape upon the completion of the 03/04 season? You do realize that teams that are perpetually mediocre need to fall before real improvement can be made? You do understand the concept that players age and need to be replaced? You do grasp the idea that prospects and younger player need to be afforded the opportunity to play? You do understand that a lockout loomed on the horizon? You are aware of the adage better a year too early than a year too late? You do understand that all excepting two of your examples were to become UFA at season’s end? You are aware of the fact that the movement of players did not begin in earnest until just prior to the deadline (with the exception of Konowalchuk who demanded a trade on three separate occasions)? You do realize that specific players were brought in to accommodate one individual? You are aware of the fact that the team removed the coach to improve the situation? You are familiar with the concept of baby steps and seasonal progression?

No?

I think you do not possess a firm grasp on these rather simple concepts, or if you do, you certainly have not displayed them to date. If you are going to spout such rhetoric, it behooves you to have a smidgen of factual information first.

Smidgeon of factual info?
Good Lord, I posted a list of superstars/stars and damn good players.
And the Caps dumped all of them. And then who did they sign in the offseason? Almost nobody.

There was no need to bust the whole team up. Except to save money.

We just had a an entire lockout that a lot of fans supported because they wanted a system that didn't put pressure on owners to sell off all their players to the big markets, didn't we?
So what kind of facts do you want?

My opinion is that a non-playoff team can rebuild faster and better, in the new CBA, using the free agent market than they can through the draft.
What's your rebuttal?

Do you think the St. Louis Blues are REALLY three or four years away from competing for a playoff spot?
I don't.

I think they can be in the hunt for a playoff spot next year, with or without Kessel or Eric Johnson on Toews, who probably won't even play next season no matter which team drafts them.

Do you dispute that?

Do you think the ownership of the Blues and Caps did all they could do to put a competitive team out there?
I mean, the Caps banked on Ovechkin's arrival and didn virtually nothing else to improve the team. Maybe, just maybe, they could have competed for a spot this year with some wise additions.

Heaven knows the Sabres and Canes came out of nowhere to compete.

I don't care if the movement happened in December or the Deadline. Either way, the Club purposely dismantled its team with several games remaining. And that's not good for the integrity of the game.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
My opinion is that a non-playoff team can rebuild faster and better, in the new CBA, using the free agent market than they can through the draft.
What's your rebuttal?

2005-06 Penguins

/thread

BFonzy

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I do believe that only the top 8 teams in the NBA have a chance at the number 1 pick each year.........it basically is the same system as the NHL uses with 3 added teams having an opportunity to move up to first.

I think both systems have their pros and cons. And speaking of cons...IMO, it was a joke how NHL handled last year's "Crosby" draft.

Getting the number of balls in the drawing based on playoff appearances?? How about playoff flops?

So Montreal knocks out a higher seeded B's team 2 of last 3 years in playoffs, but gets to pick 5th while the Bruins who haven't won a playoff round since 99 pick 21st.

That's totally fair. NHL should have had every NHL team pick the same number of times. A weighted system based on prior 3 year regular season finishes was a poor attempt to rectify a messy situation.

A Good Flying Bird*

BFonzy said:
I think both systems have their pros and cons. And speaking of cons...IMO, it was a joke how NHL handled last year's "Crosby" draft.

Getting the number of balls in the drawing based on playoff appearances?? How about playoff flops?

So Montreal knocks out a higher seeded B's team 2 of last 3 years in playoffs, but gets to pick 5th while the Bruins who haven't won a playoff round since 99 pick 21st.

That's totally fair. NHL should have had every NHL team pick the same number of times. A weighted system based on prior 3 year regular season finishes was a poor attempt to rectify a messy situation.

And that's another thing to consider, right?
I mean, what if Ottawa wins the Cup this year and then lose Redden AND Chara.
They're still a good team. But they're not nearly as good as they were and they'd probably have to compete just to make the playoffs.
So you're not really basing the draft on how good a bad a team is, are you?

And say you have a bubble team that loses two key players to injury all season.
Instead of placing 7-10 in the conference, they place 13-15 in the conference and are a lottery team now.
Are they really the team that needed the most help in the draft?

Another thing I don't like about the order is that the 14-29 picks are done by regular season record.
Why not do it by playoffs?
I mean, if an eight seed gets hot and somehow wins the cup, are they really better than the first seed that got eliminated in the conference finals? Which team needs the higher pick?

The people who've been insulting me in this thread see the draft order a) as an entitlement and b) a black and white absolute.
When obviously, that's not the case.

But people are unwilling to open their minds to ideas because they think someone is trying to take something that is theirs.
They feel they have to protect the high draft choice they've "earned", which is really a preposterous way of thinking in so many ways.

My proposal still gives the bad teams the best chances at the top choice and the best teams the worst chance at the top choice.
And maybe it needs tweaking. Maybee the worst team should get 90 balls in the lottery machine and the second worst team should get 87 balls in the lotter machine.

But I really think people are overstating the importance of a team's RIGHT to a high pick in the draft.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Smidgeon of factual info?
Good Lord, I posted a list of superstars/stars and damn good players.
And the Caps dumped all of them. And then who did they sign in the offseason? Almost nobody.

There was no need to bust the whole team up. Except to save money.

We just had a an entire lockout that a lot of fans supported because they wanted a system that didn't put pressure on owners to sell off all their players to the big markets, didn't we?
So what kind of facts do you want?

What's your rebuttal?

So now you're dropping "the Caps tanked in '03-'04 for Ovi" arguement and starting a "Caps should have signed more players to help Ovi therefore they tanked in '05-'06". Her point and mine was in response to the former. I think many can agree with you in some sense about the later.

But its only been ONE (and a half: debatable) year of the rebuild. Not FIVE as you suggested in an earlier post.

I agree 100% that teams can turn it around quicker now. I truly wish the Caps would go out and bring in 3 quality UFA this offseason at 12-15M for 3-4 yrs. But they won't. They have their reasons.. Ted "blah blah data blah blah Tampa blah blah Jagr". We'll see what they add this year and how they compete.

Do you think the ownership of the Blues and Caps did all they could do to put a competitive team out there?
I mean, the Caps banked on Ovechkin's arrival and didn virtually nothing else to improve the team. Maybe, just maybe, they could have competed for a spot this year with some wise additions.

But its only been ONE (and a half: debatable) year of the rebuild. Not FIVE as you suggested in an earlier post.

I agree 100% that teams can turn it around quicker now. I truly wish the Caps would go out and bring in 3 quality UFA this offseason at 12-15M for 3-4 yrs. But they won't. They have their reasons.. Ted "blah blah data blah blah Tampa blah blah Jagr". We'll see what they add this year and how they compete.

Heaven knows the Sabres and Canes came out of nowhere to compete.

I don't care if the movement happened in December or the Deadline. Either way, the Club purposely dismantled its team with several games remaining. And that's not good for the integrity of the game.

Sabres: kids playing well

Canes: Smart acquisitions

Neither are guarantees

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
What a cop out.
Why should I even bother addressing your comments? You've made up your mind, you've decided how it's supposed to go and nothing I or anyone else says is going to change your mind, so I can't see wasting my time trying to get you to understand the implications of what you're suggesting.

I tried to pose a similar scenario involving going to the playoffs. You completely dismissed it without even trying to understand that it was just as asinine as your suggestion of punishing teams who are bad even once for whatever reason.

I could pose a scenario where I think if a team was 10 points better than their opponent in the playoffs, they should have to win 5 of 7 games and not 4 of 7 - based on the idea that a team that was superior in the regular season shouldn't have difficulty winning that 5th game if they're really that good, and that we shouldn't punish a team that barely finished above .500 by expecting them to win the same number of games as a team that was .700 during the season. But again, you'd miss the point.

You know the Blues should have been a playoff team, and there's no reason that's acceptable for them not to have done more to try and make the playoffs ignoring the reality of what happened with the team beginning with Laurie's announcement that the team was for sale prior to the end of the lockout. You know the Pens have intentionally stunk for 4 years (no, wait - it's been a decade according to you) in a pre-planned attempt to get Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, and (insert a top-3 player from this year's draft here), and the Caps intentionally tanked to get Ovechkin in '04 (while ignoring the fact that the Caps actually finished 3rd to last and had to win the lottery to get to #1; if they were truly tanking, they'd have finished dead last). You also know the Blues are just a couple players away from the playoffs and should take whatever means possible to field a playoff-bound team, ignoring the reality of simple things like the desire for ownership to make a profit and the fact that there's still little depth in the farm system should the team have to deal with injuries like they had this year.

So like I said, it's not worth it for me (and probably anyone else) to try and have a discussion with you, because you're not about to let any fact get in the way of your misguided opinions.

Congrats. You win.

A Good Flying Bird*

Irish Blues said:
Why should I even bother addressing your comments? You've made up your mind, you've decided how it's supposed to go and nothing I or anyone else says is going to change your mind, so I can't see wasting my time trying to get you to understand the implications of what you're suggesting.

I'm always willing to change my mind when confronted with a compelling argument, IB.
I am asking questions here, and they aren't getting answered.
1) If the NHL deems that the bottom 5 teams should go in a lottery, why is that?
What is the underlying reason for it.
Assuming there is one, why not use that rationale for the entire league.
I mean, why mix it up ONLY for the bottom five. How do you draw the line at five? Why not 6? Is that sixth team so much better? Why not 10? Why not 12? Why not 30?

I tried to pose a similar scenario involving going to the playoffs. You completely dismissed it without even trying to understand that it was just as asinine as your suggestion of punishing teams who are bad even once for whatever reason.

You've complete ignored what I actually wrote and are responding to what you want to think that I wrote.
There is NO punishment involved in what I wrote.

What you suggested is complete nonsense, and you know it. What I've suggested is already being done to a certain extent with the bottom five teams.
Evidently, the league doesn't think it is imperative that the bottom team gets ABSOLUTE rights to the top pick.
You're point was a facetious point made in an intellectually dishonest way to counter mine.
And it fails. We both know it.

could pose a scenario where I think if a team was 10 points better than their opponent in the playoffs, they should have to win 5 of 7 games and not 4 of 7 - based on the idea that a team that was superior in the regular season shouldn't have difficulty winning that 5th game if they're really that good, and that we shouldn't punish a team that barely finished above .500 by expecting them to win the same number of games as a team that was .700 during the season. But again, you'd miss the point.

That is not just beside the point. It is miles and miles from the point, IB.
What does that have do with what I am proposing? Answer the question!
Hockey is the actual game. The best team wins. That's fundamental to the sport.
The draft is not fundamental to the on ice sport. It is merely the way we disperse entry players into the draft.
Playoffs and Stanley Cups are a FUNDAMENTAL reward for success.
Do you honestly think that a first round pick is a reward for failure?
You think that the worst team is ENTITLED to the top pick?

You're idea fundamentally changes the spirit of hockey.
My idea only tinkers with the NHL entry policy.

You know the Blues should have been a playoff team, and there's no reason that's acceptable for them not to have done more to try and make the playoffs ignoring the reality of what happened with the team beginning with Laurie's announcement that the team was for sale prior to the end of the lockout. You know the Pens have intentionally stunk for 4 years (no, wait - it's been a decade according to you) in a pre-planned attempt to get Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, and (insert a top-3 player from this year's draft here), and the Caps intentionally tanked to get Ovechkin in '04 (while ignoring the fact that the Caps actually finished 3rd to last and had to win the lottery to get to #1; if they were truly tanking, they'd have finished dead last). You also know the Blues are just a couple players away from the playoffs and should take whatever means possible to field a playoff-bound team, ignoring the reality of simple things like the desire for ownership to make a profit and the fact that there's still little depth in the farm system should the team have to deal with injuries like they had this year.

Why not, IB?
Why should the Blues have come into this season with the expectation of competing for a playoff spot? Why should they not be able to put together a competitive team for next season?
Do you think that a team has to suck for 5 years before pulling themselves up? I don't. I mean, it can happen. But I think that reflects rather poorly on management, don't you?

Don't you think that with Tkacuck and Brewer and Jackman and some others that are some pretty good players in the fold for next season? And that a few good signings could push the team up in the standings to the point where they could become competitive next season?

And if that's the case, does it really even matter if the team gets Phil Kessel or Eric Johnson?

Regarding the Pens, until this season, the team has made no effort for years to ice a competitive team.
And I'm not saying teams are tanking ONLY to get the first round pick. But I am sure that some teams are considering when they chop their rosters down to AHL scrubs at the deadline.

So like I said, it's not worth it for me (and probably anyone else) to try and have a discussion with you, because you're not about to let any fact get in the way of your misguided opinions.

Congrats. You win.

Weak. This shouldn't be about winning or losing. This should be about trying to answer each other's argument.
Maybe we come to agreement. Maybe we don't.

But I can not believe that you think my proposal is so bloody revolutionary.
I am not saying that a Stanley Cup winner or President's trophy winner ought to have an equal shot at the first pick in the draft.
Not at all.
And that's what you guys continue to say I am saying.

I think it's fair to say that the salary cap has changed the way talent will be distributed in the league.
Top teams near the cap are going to find it next to impossible to keep their squads together.
Ottawa has basically developed Chara and Redden and will lose one of them on the market (maybe to the Blues, who knows?) because of a new NHL talent distribution policy.
Bottom teams are not going to have to spend as much money to get UFAs under the cap and will find it easier to rebuild than they once did.

On the other side of the equation, we have the NHL entry draft policy.
Why not tweak that just a little bit, recognizing that top teams are less likely to continue having top teams the next year, and give all teams some (even if it's 1/1000) to get a chance at a high pick.
The bottom teams will still have a far greater chance at the high pick.
But it won't be guaranteed.
Two by products being 1) Less incentive to finish out of the running, and trade away good players at the deadline.
2) A more exciting and marketable draft lottery.

A Good Flying Bird*

heshootshescores said:
So now you're dropping "the Caps tanked in '03-'04 for Ovi" arguement and starting a "Caps should have signed more players to help Ovi therefore they tanked in '05-'06". Her point and mine was in response to the former. I think many can agree with you in some sense about the later.

Well I've been debating a few people about a few things here, and I may have got my wires crossed.
Regarding Washington, they had a good nucleus of players and were coming off two winning seasons (at least) before dumping their entire team in 03-04.
Personally, as a Wings fan, I really don't/didn't enjoy pillaging other teams at the deadline. It rarely ever helped us anyway. And it's not good for the sport in general.

I thought I was talking about the Pens.

They ought to. They should have done it before this season.
I've found that Ovechkin alone has made the Caps an exciting team to watch this year, but I think it's pretty brutal that an owner enters the season (after just having won a salary cap that should allow him to get some quality players fairly cheaply) and fails to give his team a chance to win.

Sabres: kids playing well

Canes: Smart acquisitions

Neither are guarantees

And how about those Canes. They've bounced back without the help of Jack Johnson, the third overall pick from last year.

Which again supports my argument that teams DO NOT ABSOLUTELY NEED draft picks to correlate with their league position each and every year to be competitive.
Under what I've proposed, the Canes would still most likely be getting high picks each year. But maybe one year they get bumped down to 15th overall instead of 3rd overall.
So maybe they would have had Jakub Kindl instead of Jack Johnson.
Would that have affected them this season?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
And how about those Canes. They've bounced back without the help of Jack Johnson, the third overall pick from last year.

Which again supports my argument that teams DO NOT ABSOLUTELY NEED draft picks to correlate with their league position each and every year to be competitive.
Under what I've proposed, the Canes would still most likely be getting high picks each year. But maybe one year they get bumped down to 15th overall instead of 3rd overall.
So maybe they would have had Jakub Kindl instead of Jack Johnson.
Would that have affected them this season?
Where the **** do you think Eric Staal came from? Did the hockey stork just drop him out of the ****ing sky?? There are some real brick walls around here, but you might just be the thickest.

A Good Flying Bird*

Pens1566 said:
Where the **** do you think Eric Staal came from? Did the hockey stork just drop him out of the ****ing sky?? There are some real brick walls around here, but you might just be the thickest.

What the hell does that have to do with what I said?
I am talking about LAST YEAR's Draft.

Do you understand the word Context.

I notice you only bolded part of the sentence. The rest of the sentence is there for a reason.

"Which again supports my argument that teams DO NOT ABSOLUTELY NEED draft picks to correlate with their league position each and every year to be competitive."

If you're paying attention, you'd see that what I proposed still means that bad teams have the best shot at getting the highest picks.
It might not happen for every bad season, but it usually would.
So if the Canes didn't get the real high pick one time, it wouldn't necessarily matter.

You know, you really ought to read the entire post, entire paragraph, or entire sentence before you start hurling obscenity-laced insults.

It doesn't reflect well on you.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Tin: regarding your Eric Staal/Jack Johnson/needing picks to compete.

I believe that the NHL is now nearly comparable to the NFL. Only two differences: the timeframe in which the draft picks compete and guaranteed contracts. I believe very strongly that teams can rebound quickly. However, teams have to ensure that they have a steady stream of prospects from previous years to address recent losses. That's tough for the NHL to predict. Also, some owners with less salary flexibility will be less likely to sign UFA to long-term/high salary contracts. Given that most teams revenues are tied to gate receipts, teams will fear becoming a loser more than they desire to win.

So, that is the context in which you need to look at the NHL vs. NFL and how to address competitive balance via the draft.

Given this, I, for one, whole-heartedly agree with your question to the arbitrary definition of 5 teams in the lottery as bogus. If I were Bettman, after beating myself up, I would propose altering the draft order process to be weighted similar to your 30-29-28-...1 scenario. Maybe stop at 2 and the Cup winner is 30 automatically. IMHO, the end to this year's standings does not have any bearing on what teams will be like in 2-3 years (which is what the current draft is supposed to address).

ShyCheetah

Feb 22, 2003
Caprica City,Caprica
Visit site
Platapie said:
Agreed, and it also adds some hope for every team that misses the playoffs that maybe, just maybe they'll land the #1-#3 picks. I find the draft lotto very exciting in the NBA, I don't see why having it in the NHL would be a bad thing.

I agree, the NBA draft model would be ideal. I'm thinking about how many NHL fans (specifically canadians outside of Grizz and Raptor markets) have seen the NBA draft lottery. That's one of the highlights of my year when the Grizz were still hear. Knowing Betmans ties to the NBA and his willingness to copy their model you know he has put forth the NBA draft model and probably has been shot down by the owners. The NHL's current weak arse draft lottery was probably the resultant comprimise. I figure last years NHL draft league wide lottery would spark interest in an annual draft lottery of consequence (NBA style).

Shy.

A Good Flying Bird*

So Pittsburgh needs Phil Kessel?
They've got Crosby. Malkin. Fleury. Whitney....
And now Kessel? Johnson? Toews?

Ugh.

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
So Pittsburgh needs Phil Kessel?
They've got Crosby. Malkin. Fleury. Whitney....
And now Kessel? Johnson? Toews?

Ugh.

One word...............................Jealousy! :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad