Should the NHL change the Draft rules

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
I was thinking today as I was driving, about the 1st overall pick in the draft. I think the NHL should change the rule a little that no team can draft 1st twice in a row if they finish last overall 2 years in a row. Teams should not be constantly rewarded for sucking. Just my opinion. The lowest they should be allowed to draft is 5 but no higher than number 2.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
While you are at it--why not add in this rule: IF the Chicago Blackhawks make their fans suffer humiliation by finishing as a bottom feeder,they automatically get the #1 pick because everyone knows the hockey gods will never allow them to win a lotto or to tank badly enough to increase the % chances for such --in fact everyone knows the Hawks are more likely to get smashed in the teeth and to have to drop 1 position after a lotto win by a team with a better record...imagine --how many lousey seasons now and no saviours like Ovechkin,Crosby,Malkin---yes the fans will line up in droves to pay big $$$ to watch Cam Barker! (Laugh....)..the NHL owes Blackhawks fans bigtime and it would be a travesty if Pitt wins the lotto again --or even if they picked ahead of The Hawks this time--imagine Crosby and Malkin on the same team=ridiculous! Furthermore, they may not even be in Pitt but back in Hartford of all crazy things! Ridiculous....FOLD THEM --give Crosby and Malkin to the Hawks--HOW CAN THE THIRD LARGEST MEDIA MARKET IN THE U.S. BE THIS IGNORE BY THE NHL: PUTRID SCORING/NO "SIZZLE STAR" TO MARKET--result: 50% EMPTY SEATS IN A ONCE GREAT HOCKEY TOWN NOW REDUCED TO THE BACK PAGES IN THE SORTS SCENE THERE....it is a shameful tragedy...but as I said the hockey gods revel in this Blackhawks misery of bad luck--even when bad the Hawks never are bad enough to get a franchise player to brings the fans back to the seats--so what is the point of stinking year after year if you never get rewarded --if you never get lucky? All that happens is a dwindling fanbase. A tragedy.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Wow. Original idea for a thread. This is about as stupid as someone saying Crosby is going to finish the year with like 45 pts. Oh, wait ..... I'm sensing a pattern here.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Pens1566 said:
Wow. Original idea for a thread. This is about as stupid as someone saying Crosby is going to finish the year with like 45 pts. Oh, wait ..... I'm sensing a pattern here.

or just about as dumb as Pens fans touting their team to go to the playoffs easily, and possibly the Cup. Teams shouldnt be rewarded for sucking every year.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
This is getting ridiulous. Teams don`t get "rewarded for sucking", they get a high pick so they don`t suck that bad in the future. But I am sure I don't have to explain that.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Kvashinator12 said:
or just about as dumb as Pens fans touting their team to go to the playoffs easily, and possibly the Cup. Teams shouldnt be rewarded for sucking every year.
If you remember correctly, most people expected the pens to be in the playoff hunt, not just pens fans.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
hawksfan50 said:
While you are at it--why not add in this rule: IF the Chicago Blackhawks make their fans suffer humiliation by finishing as a bottom feeder,they automatically get the #1 pick because everyone knows the hockey gods will never allow them to win a lotto or to tank badly enough to increase the % chances for such --in fact everyone knows the Hawks are more likely to get smashed in the teeth and to have to drop 1 position after a lotto win by a team with a better record...imagine --how many lousey seasons now and no saviours like Ovechkin,Crosby,Malkin---yes the fans will line up in droves to pay big $$$ to watch Cam Barker! (Laugh....)..the NHL owes Blackhawks fans bigtime and it would be a travesty if Pitt wins the lotto again --or even if they picked ahead of The Hawks this time--imagine Crosby and Malkin on the same team=ridiculous! Furthermore, they may not even be in Pitt but back in Hartford of all crazy things! Ridiculous....FOLD THEM --give Crosby and Malkin to the Hawks--HOW CAN THE THIRD LARGEST MEDIA MARKET IN THE U.S. BE THIS IGNORE BY THE NHL: PUTRID SCORING/NO "SIZZLE STAR" TO MARKET--result: 50% EMPTY SEATS IN A ONCE GREAT HOCKEY TOWN NOW REDUCED TO THE BACK PAGES IN THE SORTS SCENE THERE....it is a shameful tragedy...but as I said the hockey gods revel in this Blackhawks misery of bad luck--even when bad the Hawks never are bad enough to get a franchise player to brings the fans back to the seats--so what is the point of stinking year after year if you never get rewarded --if you never get lucky? All that happens is a dwindling fanbase. A tragedy.

Maybe think of taking some blame to your owner.......till this year there was no Cap in the NHL.......yet Chicago still didnt spend........as you say they are the third largest media center in the NHL........cant imagine there was no money there to spend.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'd like to see them do the lottery type thing that they did for the 2005 draft. That was a really fair system they had in place and it also means that teams can no longer be bottom feeders and will actually have to compete but there is no guarantee that they will even get a pick in the top 10. It's a great concept and it forces every team to be competitive. No more crap about intentionally tanking to be possibly rewarded with the first overall choice. It also means more competitive and better hockey. Everyone wins in the end.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I'm sick and tired of seeing the Pens racking up the top 5 pick and still stay in the bottom of the standing, but I don't think we can really change the system...

And I kind of agree with Kvashinator12...but I don't think that the NHL can really do something...

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
I'd like to change the difference between Canadian Junior players and NCAA players.
All players should have to be signed by the end of their 20th birthday calender year or either re-enter the draft or become free agents.
I've never understood why NCAA players get 5 years after being drafted but CHL players get 2. This creates a big advantage to NCAA players especially in the later rounds. Just make it a level playing field. Or give CHL players who go on to CIS the extra 3 years.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
How about the real lottery be a 50/50 shot, either the first overall goes to the team who picks 14th overall, and countdown from there... like 14, 13, 12, 11...

It throws a bone to us poor folk who don't have playoff hope, but aren't bad enough for an entire season.

It would make this Kings fan very happy... we need to dispose of mediocrity! PLEASE! :D

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
personally i wish they did it NBA style. Put all 14 teams that don't make it into a draw that each has an equal chance and pick 3 teams to pick 1-3. Make an event out of it.

For teams that continually suck they should still get good picks with the 4th and 5th picks.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
first lets be honest and admit that you'd have no problem with it if your team was getting a top 3 pick every year...

as far as it being 'fair' the problem is that you can't make a blanket statement about all teams that finish last. some teams finish last because they dump everyone and tank the season to get the top pick, but other teams try to win but are just legitimately bad and therefore deserve the pick to help get the team better...

there is no way that you can say a team can't get the top pick again, the only thing that you could do is change the draft lottery. right now the team that finishes last has a 49% chance of getting the #1 pick (25% chance that they will win the lottery, 24% chance that one of the teams 6-14 win and since you can only move up 4 spots the last place team would keep the #1)...you could either even out the odds or you could increase the # of spots a team can jump up. letting the 14th team jump to #1 is a bit much but letting the bottom 7 have a shot instead of just the bottom 5 is reasonable and would lower the odds...

of course even if they change the lottery odds, the way its set up right now the last place team is guaranteed at worst the 2nd pick. the only way you can change that would be to increase the # of spots a team can fall...

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Le Golie said:
This thread is proof that logic is not for everyone.

curious as to why?

So if a team continues to suck after 6 years of picking first overall, they should continue to get the 1st pick. The system should be changed to the NBA type lottery as said.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
boredmale said:
personally i wish they did it NBA style. Put all 14 teams that don't make it into a draw that each has an equal chance and pick 3 teams to pick 1-3.

"NBA style" does not mean that each team has an equal chance at the #1 pick.

bluef0x*

Kvashinator12 said:
curious as to why?

So if a team continues to suck after 6 years of picking first overall, they should continue to get the 1st pick. The system should be changed to the NBA type lottery as said.

The NHL is a business... and parity is a big factor in sports. If you don't understand this, well, it's best you find a new subject to complain about.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Its a good idea, that way in case theres two "Once in a lifetime types" in 2 consecutive years, then it assures that wealth gets spread out to two deserving teams, after all getting a franchise player one year and a second over all pick the next is still pretty good....after all if you draft a superstar and let him develop for one year , odds are your team will still be bad the next year, bottom line I think we all would agree that its better for the league if superstars get spread to more teams rather than one.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
This was the first season with a cap....the pens finished towards the bottom for the past five years because it is a small market city, its was just like in baseball( Yankees 206 mill spent and Pirates 38 mill spent) and they wouldnt be in as big a hole this year had it not been for retirements ( Lemieux, Palffy) and people not meeting expectations (Gonchar, Thibault)....so its unfair to complain, because the pens getting a high draft each year was like a trade off for teams like the rangers being able to spend twice the pens salary each year.

X0ssbar

nomorekids said:
I'm drafting a rule that states that no team is allowed to win the cup twice in a row.

Post of the day :bow:

These threads are like a bad car wreck...I know I shouldn't look but I just can't help myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->