• No, don't sign him, he's to old, and was just a rental

• No, we should develop a young guy like Roslo or someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Worse defenseman making more...

That's a bizarre cop out that's really got nothing to do with anything.

My point was that there is obvious risk in giving sizable dollars and term to a player who's upside is your #6D.

A few months later, we're already seeing the impact.
So how is it a bizarre cop out that has nothing to do with anything? If you didn't get what I meant by it you could of just asked since I was mostly agreeing with your position. As I said I believe the Jets needed a player like Kulikov to shore up their LHD as they had gone too long with sub NHL level defense. And by dipping into the UFA market you pay a premium, like gift shopping at the airport. You need to bring something home so you pay retail+ because there are few options available. Other GM's have in the past paid a higher price for worse defenseman, even by doing that there is still short term value. Kulikov did not break the bank, only has 2 more years on his contract and has proven serviceable. He provided needed value to the team that could be afforded within the cap.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
It’s hard to afford all of the desireable pieces. This is why near elite cap teams get rentals - with 50% retained and only accruing the rental’s salary for 2 months, they can get really good players for the fraction of the cost to their salary cap.

To get these players for the full season at 100% salary is NOT maximizing your team’s talent for a playoff run.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Absolutely not. This is the exact scenario that gets your cap management into trouble. We already, have a declining veteran center in Little. Signing another one would be ludacris. I'm honestly shocked about the amount of yes votes. Do you really think Stastny will keep on playing for 2-3 years on the high enthusiastic note he rides right now? Sorry but that is just naive. The guy is 32 and is already trending downwards. Having 2 centers of that kind will kill your chances of creating a long time winner.

And I haven't even mentioned Jack Roslovic yet who is obviously the perfect future center for our top 6 wingers and is showing absolutely no reason not to believe in him.

Enjoy your dream scenario as long as it lasts - that's what rentals are for. Then get real again once the playoffs are over and we're back to normal business.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Absolutely not. This is the exact scenario that gets your cap management into trouble. We already, have a declining veteran center in Little. Signing another one would be ludacris. I'm honestly shocked about the amount of yes votes. Do you really think Stastny will keep on playing for 2-3 years on the high enthusiastic note he rides right now? Sorry but that is just naive. The guy is 32 and is already trending downwards. Having 2 centers of that kind will kill your chances of creating a long time winner.

And I haven't even mentioned Jack Roslovic yet who is obviously the perfect future center for our top 6 wingers and is showing absolutely no reason not to believe in him.

Enjoy your dream scenario as long as it lasts - that's what rentals are for. Then get real again once the playoffs are over and we're back to normal business.

100% this ^^^^^^

Right now he looks like a fantastic rental and I am more than happy with that outcome.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
So how is it a bizarre cop out that has nothing to do with anything? If you didn't get what I meant by it you could of just asked since I was mostly agreeing with your position. As I said I believe the Jets needed a player like Kulikov to shore up their LHD as they had gone too long with sub NHL level defense. And by dipping into the UFA market you pay a premium, like gift shopping at the airport. You need to bring something home so you pay retail+ because there are few options available. Other GM's have in the past paid a higher price for worse defenseman, even by doing that there is still short term value. Kulikov did not break the bank, only has 2 more years on his contract and has proven serviceable. He provided needed value to the team that could be afforded within the cap.
The bolded. This is true for pretty much every contract ever. Likewise you could say "Other GM's have in the past paid a lower price for better defenseman" and be 100% correct. It is an aside that has nothing to do with Kuli.

Second bolded. He's proven to be serviceable as a #6D - which is the less important and easier to fill than any spot in the starting defensive rotation. Dedicating 4+ mill to a roster spot that can usually be filled for far less can have a negative impact elsewhere. Do you disagree?

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Genuine question - Do you think Kulikov has negative value?
Negative value relative to what? I'd say he's an improvement over Stu and Chiarot, but probably a negative relative to Poolman.

That isn't really my point though. I'm saying his contract is large given that he'll never be better than a #6 on a healthy depth chart.

He may be a #7 next year and his salary is large enough that it may block a another signing (for example Stastny).

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Disagree that signing Stastny would be ludicrous, for these reasons:
1)He is not trending downwards and is likely to finish this season with more points than he ever had in St Louis. He looks after himself physically and mentally, and his father, Peter, played well into his mid-thirties.
2) It is way too early to anoint Roslovic as a top-6 C, much as I like his play as a winger. Until he matures and proves himself worthy of that, Scheifele, Stastny, Little and Lowry are a SC worthy C corps. Little could always move over to the wing, but I must say, as an aside, rumors of his impending demise are greatly exaggerated.
3)I could easily see Stastny playing at this level for 2-3 more years and at least considering the opportunity to play with Ehlers and Laine, and compete for a SC. Those opportunities come very rarely, even to very good NHL players.

I still doubt very highly that Stastny would accept a short duration contract from the Jets, but it certainly would not be ludicrous to offer one. As I've stated previously, the team's post-season experience will likely determine whether he will give it serious consideration..

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
They are "friendly" and not like the Oiler fans !!! LOL

I guess Little could be traded but that seems to not be a Jet thing. Get the photo shop going and paste in those money-phones and track suits.
I voted #1 but think this is a Cup or bust year with Stastny. He won't be resigned.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017

Agree with this. Chevy made a brilliant rental acquisition and we should leave it at that - this was a piece to enhance his overall plan in the short term but it shouldn’t be viewed as a criticism if we don’t re-sign him, even if it means Little’s contract is much worse.

Without Stastny we can continue to add rental pieces for playoff runs as necessary without damaging our long-term plan

Reactions: robertocarlos

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
still doubt very highly that Stastny would accept a short duration contract from the Jets, but it certainly would not be ludicrous to offer one. As I've stated previously, the team's post-season experience will likely determine whether he will give it serious consideration..

But that's the thing: something below 3 years is not going to happen. No matter with what team. The idea of signing Stastny has to go with at least a 3 years contract. Dreaming about signing him for only 1 or 2 years is just silly. Sure I could also talk about hypothetic scenarios that could be great for the Jets but I don't see the point talking about unrealistic scenarios. You just pretty much said yourself that it's unrealistic after all.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sign him.

1)Trade Mason if you can (obviously).

2)Trade Lowry cause he'll make too much for a 4C. The return would also be helpful.

3)Replace Enstrom with a drastically cheaper Enstrom or with Niku.

Two of those three would be more than enough action for this summer.

I've done projections that already assume Enstrom is gone next year - replaced by Niku. We are right at the cap.

I've already assumed that Mason is gone the next year when his contract runs out. So is Myers, that same year. We are even tighter against the cap.

The only thing you have done that is an actual change is moving Lowry. That only frees up 3-3.5 mil. You need to move another player who is projected to be here beyond next season. Could be Wheeler, Buff, Perreault or one of the younger players. Could be Little but he would have to waive. Not much point anyway as he is not that different from Stastny.

Perreault is probably the most likely candidate. You have to ask yourself if you are willing to give up both Lowry and Perreault in order to keep Stastny?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is where spending big money on an okay #6 D man comes back to bite you. If they could move the whole 3rd pair, keeping Stastny wouldn't be as much of a challenge.

Niku - Poolman might be better than Kuli - Myers too.

Assuming Trouba stays around, Myers has to go when his contract expires, if not before, in order to extend Wheeler, Laine and Connor. The same goes for Mason. Kulikov has to follow them a year later so we can give Niku and Roslovic their 2nd contracts.

The cap gained from these players who expire in 1 or 2 years is already spent on young players coming off their ELC's. There is no room to add anyone unless we move a player otherwise projected to be here longer.

Some of these players might be moved during the off-seasons when they still have a year to go. That delays the cap crunch slightly, or maybe I should say that it eases it a bit. It also gets some assets in return instead of just letting them walk. That won't always be an option though, depending on their roles and whether or not we have replacements ready.

For the foreseeable future, I think we can just always assume that cap in requires cap out.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Negative value relative to what? I'd say he's an improvement over Stu and Chiarot, but probably a negative relative to Poolman.

That isn't really my point though. I'm saying his contract is large given that he'll never be better than a #6 on a healthy depth chart.

He may be a #7 next year and his salary is large enough that it may block a another signing (for example Stastny).

Negative trade value, as in we’d have to compensate another team to take his contract.

My point is that if he’s tradeable, even for only a 7th round pick, then I’m not worried too much about his signing being a mistake because of his cap hit.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not disagreeing with the "win now" comment, but the reality is that they really only needed a few months of Kuli - if they needed him at all. I don't think we'd be looking at drastically different result if Poolman was playing.

Myers should be tradable - and he makes a ton of sense to trade, but Kuli is just an okay #6. I'm not sure that his deal would appeal to many.

I think people may be overrating Poolman a bit. He was pretty bad in his last couple of games and was healthy scratched in favour of Chiarot for about 15 after that.

I think there has been an expectation by some, that he would not improve much, if at all at his age. There was a similar idea expressed about Tanev last year but he did improve enough to become a useful player. So lets say Poolman does become a serviceable #6. Less offense than Myers but better defense, I hope.

I think you are underrating Kulikov. I think he is a 2nd/3rd pair tweener, a 4/5.

What happens with Enstrom next year is a big question. If Chevy expects him back next year, why has he not been signed before this? Has he already indicated his intention to return to Sweden next year? If both parties are willing then how much will he cost? How much is he worth? How big a pay cut would he be willing to accept?

I have been projecting a D next year without Toby. He has not regressed as much as I had expected. His recent absence demonstrated his value.

For all their warts, I think Kuli/Myers is almost another 2nd pair. Niku/Poolman would not likely be as good. Maybe not even close, at least for a year while they gain experience. Would the trade return be worth the step back on D? We would have Chiarot at #7 again and then who? Morrow?

The cap gain would be for only 1 year for Myers and 2 years for Kulikov. Those gains would have been eaten up when their contracts expired anyway so the gain is very little.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Connor $0.925M - Scheifele $6.125M - Wheeler $5.6M
Ehlers $6M - Stastny $5M - Laine $0.925M
Perreault $4.125M - Little $5.29M - Roslovic $0.894M
Copp $1M - Lowry $3M - Tanev $1M
Lemieux $0.839M

Morrissey $5M - Trouba $6M
Enstrom $2.5M - Byfuglien $7.6M
Niku $0.775M - Kulikov $4.33M
Chiarot $1.4M
Poolman $1.4M

Hellebuyck $6M
Comrie $1M

Stuart (buyout cap hit): $0.583M

Myers and Mason are gone.

Stastny is $5M x 3
Lowry is $3M x 5
Morrissey is $5M x 6
Trouba is $6M x 8
Enstrom is $2.5M x 2
Hellebuyck is $6M x 6
Poolman is $1.4M x 2 (Chiarot's deal)
Comrie is $1M x 1 (placeholder backup)

Cap Ceiling: $80,000,000
Cap hit: $77,316,665
Bonuses: $4,095,000
Space: $2,683,335

If all the bonuses hit, there's a $1.41M penalty against the Jets cap the following year.

If the Cap Ceiling in $83M in 2019-20 the Jets will have $16.4M in space to sign Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Copp an 8th D, a 13th F and a backup goalie. They can move a contract to make more room.

Pretty sure Myers is tradeable, should even fetch a nice return. Mason is another story. With his contract and the year he has had I think there is close to zero chance of moving him. The only ways would be 50% retention or buyout. Neither of those make much sense. Maybe he continues to have health problems and can be LTIR'ed but I don't think it would be wise to count on that.

No way in **** we can afford that bonus carryover to the next year.

Kulikov has played pretty well on the right side so I like your idea of moving Myers and playing Kuli there. That helps a bit for 1 year. Move out 1 other player and it might work.

Move Lowry and play Copp at 4C. As someone else pointed out, Lowry will earn too much for a 4C. I'd hate to lose his physicality though. Or move Frenchie. My favourite player but he may start to decline before much longer. This might be the time to trade high on him.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

While I tend to agree with you, if we could keep it three or less on the term, at 4.5m, with no trade restrictions, I think it’s worth the risk.

He might even be interested in a one year deal, if we go far in playoffs but come up short. Knowing the numbers he could put up in a full season with Ehlers and Laine, and a shot at a cup could be a temptation for him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The bolded. This is true for pretty much every contract ever. Likewise you could say "Other GM's have in the past paid a lower price for better defenseman" and be 100% correct. It is an aside that has nothing to do with Kuli.

Second bolded. He's proven to be serviceable as a #6D - which is the less important and easier to fill than any spot in the starting defensive rotation. Dedicating 4+ mill to a roster spot that can usually be filled for far less can have a negative impact elsewhere. Do you disagree?
I think you under rate Kulikov, but either way he is in our top 6. Pretty much everyone agreed we needed an upgrade at LHD which he is. As a UFA he cost us no assets other than cap space which he fits within. He improved our team at the cost of no assets. #6 spots are filled at less cost when you have someone in the organization that can fill the role or you are willing to trade an asset for them. If you don't have that then you have to go out and pay retail at UFA time to shore up a hole. What better and cheaper defenseman was available as a UFA to you think Chevy missed out on?

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Worse defenseman making more...

That's a bizarre cop out that's really got nothing to do with anything.

My point was that there is obvious risk in giving sizable dollars and term to a player who's upside is your #6D.

A few months later, we're already seeing the impact.

I said at the time that we overpaid Kulikov. That said, I disagree that his upside is #6. He has been a good #5 for us all season. He could just as easily be playing #4 but Mo wants to play Buff and Enstrom together.

I think that overpay makes him a little hard to move though. He is paid 1 mil + above the level for a 4/5 tweener.

I've raised the question elsewhere that Toby might want to return to Sweden next year. There is also the possibility that he wants to play in the East where Sweden is ~ half the flight time away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->