• Yes, and we should give him $ 6mil over 3 years

• Yes, and we should sign him for $ 5 mil over 5 years

• Yes, buit for 1 year only at $ 5 mil tops

• No, don't sign him, he's to old, and was just a rental

• No, we should develop a young guy like Roslo or someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
If we sign Stastny ($5.5), Laine ($8+), Wheeler ($6+), Trouba ($6+), Morrissey ($5+), Hellebuyck ($5+), Connor ($5+) that’s well over $40 million and an increase of $20+ million on their current deals with Jets.

Now, the Jets could maybe increase their payroll by $10 million, but they would need to reduce their payroll by a minimum $10 million to make it work reasonably well.

Finding $10 million is some combination of Myers, Enstrom, Mason and Perreault after factoring the costs of their replacements. Buff and Wheels will eventually be looked at should Vesalainen and others develop into quality nhl’ers that will also be paid.
Those 4 players currently account for roughly 20M AAV, so there is some flexibility if there is a will. Keep in mind also that:
-backup goalies are cheap now that Helle is our #1
-Niku may be ready as early as next season and so Kulikov could also be moved
-Wheeler might also be talking to Stastny about how they can both be affordable next year
-Pate and Niki might be talking to each other and eventually to Chevy about how much they like Stastny. That could translate into certain other compromises.

The most likely scenario is that he simply a rental. But nothing is carved in stone and it is heavily dependent on how the rest of this (post) season unfolds.

Reactions: GNP

paragon

May 5, 2010
Houston we have a problem.. It is pretty useless to pay huge bucks for wingers if you don’t have centers.. It is like buying a Ferrari without engine.
That's just not true. There are plenty of winger who carry and have carried lines. Iginla never had a really good center.
Selänne had his best seasons with Steve Rucchin. In 2000-2001 when Bure scored 59 goals and 92 points the #2 in his team had 37 points. West Coast Express was carried by Näslund. Patrik Kane carries his lines. Ovechkin had two stellar seasons before Backstrom came in to the league. Tarasenko had his best season with Lehterä. Gaudreau is the man in Calgary. Blake Wheeler drives his line. I could go on and on.

I hate this more important position nonsense. It's a team game and chemistry is important. The only things the wingers can't really compensate for is faceoffs, but if you are close to 50 you are good to go. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is who scored more goals. You don't get extra intangible points, if a center scores instead on wingers.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Sign him.

1)Trade Mason if you can (obviously).

2)Trade Lowry cause he'll make too much for a 4C. The return would also be helpful.

3)Replace Enstrom with a drastically cheaper Enstrom or with Niku.

Two of those three would be more than enough action for this summer.

Reactions: DaJackal and GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sign him.

2)Trade Lowry cause he'll make too much for a 4C. The return would also be helpful.

In that case I wish we could trade Little and keep Lowry as our 3 c but can't with Little's deal.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
This is where spending big money on an okay #6 D man comes back to bite you. If they could move the whole 3rd pair, keeping Stastny wouldn't be as much of a challenge.

Niku - Poolman might be better than Kuli - Myers too.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It is a bit of a long shot but it could happen under the right circumstances. The only chance would require a long cup run this spring. Either a cup win or within sniffing distance convinces players and Chevy to go all in on the short term. Then you can start getting creative. Chevy looks at bridge deals for RFA's and vet players agree to short term contracts to squeeze it all in. This is an unlikely scenario so I'm not holding out hope.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Sign him.

If Toby returns, I suspect it will be on a team friendly deal. I'd look to move Kuli and/or Myers. Little brings more value than either of them and he's harder to replace.

Reactions: buggs

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is where spending big money on an okay #6 D man comes back to bite you. If they could move the whole 3rd pair, keeping Stastny wouldn't be as much of a challenge.

Niku - Poolman might be better than Kuli - Myers too.
But it has helped but us be in a now win position which isn't nothing. Both those contracts are movable if you are willing to compromise a bit on return.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
But it has helped but us be in a now win position which isn't nothing. Both those contracts are movable if you are willing to compromise a bit on return.
Not disagreeing with the "win now" comment, but the reality is that they really only needed a few months of Kuli - if they needed him at all. I don't think we'd be looking at drastically different result if Poolman was playing.

Myers should be tradable - and he makes a ton of sense to trade, but Kuli is just an okay #6. I'm not sure that his deal would appeal to many.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd sign him short term for cheap, three years, $7M the first year, $2M the second year, $2M the third year.

But I would lean towards not signing him, because Roslovic might be ready to play 2C between Ehlers and Laine, and you could even put Laine on the first line and Connor with Ehlers and Roslovic.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not disagreeing with the "win now" comment, but the reality is that they really only needed a few months of Kuli - if they needed him at all. I don't think we'd be looking at drastically different result if Poolman was playing.

Myers should be tradable - and he makes a ton of sense to trade, but Kuli is just an okay #6. I'm not sure that his deal would appeal to many.
I think the Jets needed to sign a guy like Kulikov. We went too long with sub NHL level bottom pairing that it was worth paying the UFA premium to stabilize our defense. And there are worse defenseman making more. I do believe there is a very real chance the Jets move out some salary on defense and allocate it elsewhere with Niku and Poolman in the wings.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Connor $0.925M - Scheifele $6.125M - Wheeler $5.6M
Ehlers $6M - Stastny $5M - Laine $0.925M
Perreault $4.125M - Little $5.29M - Roslovic $0.894M
Copp $1M - Lowry $3M - Tanev $1M
Lemieux $0.839M

Morrissey $5M - Trouba $6M
Enstrom $2.5M - Byfuglien $7.6M
Niku $0.775M - Kulikov $4.33M
Chiarot $1.4M
Poolman $1.4M

Hellebuyck $6M
Comrie $1M

Stuart (buyout cap hit): $0.583M

Myers and Mason are gone.

Stastny is $5M x 3
Lowry is $3M x 5
Morrissey is $5M x 6
Trouba is $6M x 8
Enstrom is $2.5M x 2
Hellebuyck is $6M x 6
Poolman is $1.4M x 2 (Chiarot's deal)
Comrie is $1M x 1 (placeholder backup)

Cap Ceiling: $80,000,000
Cap hit: $77,316,665
Bonuses: $4,095,000
Space: $2,683,335

If all the bonuses hit, there's a $1.41M penalty against the Jets cap the following year.

If the Cap Ceiling in $83M in 2019-20 the Jets will have $16.4M in space to sign Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Copp an 8th D, a 13th F and a backup goalie. They can move a contract to make more room.

Reactions: Jets 31

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Lemieux $0.839M

Chiarot $1.4M
Poolman $1.4M

Hellebuyck $6M
Comrie $1M

Stastny is $5M x 3
Lowry is $3M x 5
Morrissey is $5M x 6
Trouba is $6M x 8
Enstrom is $2.5M x 2
Hellebuyck is $6M x 6

If all the bonuses hit, there's a $1.41M penalty against the Jets cap the following year.

If the Cap Ceiling in $83M in 2019-20 the Jets will have $16.4M in space to sign Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Copp an 8th D, a 13th F and a backup goalie. They can move a contract to make more room.

Myers could be moved - think ottawa with his $3 million salary and $5.5 million cap hit especially if they move Karlsson - but it would be very hard to move Mason. Your numbers are fairly reasonable. The upper limit might be from 80 to 82 million. The Jets will do whatever it takes to avoid a bonus overage. They could be adding ~$11 million the following year between Laine and Wheeler. There's no way we can afford a bonus overage.

There's not enough cushion though. We've had 27 or 28 players on roster at times due to injuries. Even if they go the retain Stastny and move Myers and Mason route, I doubt Enstrom stays.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think the Jets needed to sign a guy like Kulikov. We went too long with sub NHL level bottom pairing that it was worth paying the UFA premium to stabilize our defense. And there are worse defenseman making more. I do believe there is a very real chance the Jets move out some salary on defense and allocate it elsewhere with Niku and Poolman in the wings.
Worse defenseman making more...

That's a bizarre cop out that's really got nothing to do with anything.

My point was that there is obvious risk in giving sizable dollars and term to a player who's upside is your #6D.

A few months later, we're already seeing the impact.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
all this " we don't have enough money"

can you prove it please?

maybe for fun I'll some how try to do it myself, but I also need market value/jets opinion to my own/also trying to tho k how Chevy would make it work

seems the jets business wanted to not just establish themselves as a money talks first, but being loyal and friendly to each other, like being a family where players don't just get move until it's gotten to the point that its time to do ala evander kane

don't over player any players . and take some out

I can't see buff being able to fit here forever and we could probably get some nice assets for him if he keeps playing this way

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Sure trade a D man that makes the team better....let's sign Myers while we are at it.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Worse defenseman making more...

That's a bizarre cop out that's really got nothing to do with anything.

My point was that there is obvious risk in giving sizable dollars and term to a player who's upside is your #6D.

A few months later, we're already seeing the impact.

Genuine question - Do you think Kulikov has negative value?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Lemieux $0.839M

Chiarot $1.4M
Poolman $1.4M

Hellebuyck $6M
Comrie $1M

Stastny is $5M x 3
Lowry is $3M x 5
Morrissey is $5M x 6
Trouba is $6M x 8
Enstrom is $2.5M x 2
Hellebuyck is $6M x 6

You should work for the Jets , just reading all those numbers made my brain hurt . :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He is a rental. Too many teams out there who are desperate for a quality centre so Paul is getting overpaid this summer.

Love his game though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->