• No, don't sign him, he's to old, and was just a rental

• No, we should develop a young guy like Roslo or someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wrote this to Little thread:
Went through some stats and one can hardly claim that 2nd C has done offensively good job with 37 pts while there is wingers with 75, 62, 52, 41 and 37. This with fair amount of PP time and solid TOI.

Playing with Ehlers and Laine hasn't just held them back. It has held him back too. He has still been good defensively. He started slowly but has been much better after the first 10-15 games.

I'm not saying I have been thrilled with his play this year. It has been disappointing. Ironically, I think it seems worse because he has been so consistent in the past. This is the first 'off year' of his career.

Your opinion (or any other person's) of Little v Stastny doesn't really matter much, because next year we will have Little and we won't have Stastny - in all likelihood.

If Roslovic doesn't become our hoped for, scoring 2/3C then we are likely to have 2 scoring lines, a shutdown line and a scoring 4th line centred by Copp. I think we just have to hope PMo finds line combinations that work.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Playing with Ehlers and Laine hasn't just held them back. It has held him back too. He has still been good defensively. He started slowly but has been much better after the first 10-15 games.

I'm not saying I have been thrilled with his play this year. It has been disappointing. Ironically, I think it seems worse because he has been so consistent in the past. This is the first 'off year' of his career.

Your opinion (or any other person's) of Little v Stastny doesn't really matter much, because next year we will have Little and we won't have Stastny - in all likelihood.

If Roslovic doesn't become our hoped for, scoring 2/3C then we are likely to have 2 scoring lines, a shutdown line and a scoring 4th line centred by Copp. I think we just have to hope PMo finds line combinations that work.
That is my main concern that we won’t have two scoring lines.. We have only two at the moment with Statsny.

If Little really is 2nd C next year it must be with Connor and Wheels.. We have seen enough ELL.

Reactions: Hulide

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If we sign stats we say good bye to lowry armia and maybe copp who are all due for raises and we replace them with roslovic tanev petan or dano as full time players

Connor shief wheels
Laine stats eels
Tanev little roslovic
Petan hendricks dano

I say we skip unless we trade little

The most likely casualty to keep Stastny would be Perreault IMO. They really need to find someone to take Mason off the books too.

Reactions: 204hockey and GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
C depth is vital for a Stanley Cup run. If you could fit Stastny in the budget for a short term (3 years) you do it. Dont know why Stastny would agree to < 5 years though nor to a large salary reduction.

With Little's contract kicking in you probably dont want to commit to another 30+ player for a long term.

Plus, until the Trouba contract is resolved it will be difficult to make free agent decisions.

I think Stastny takes a big salary reduction because he never earned his current contract. I think 4 years would be his minimum and even that is probably optimistic. Someone will offer him at least 5. I think the AAV will be at least 5, probably more. Not sure where the top is. A good run with us might get it up to 6.

5x5 in StL might be a good bet. Don't know if they would be willing to commit that long to a player of his age or not. Trading him might have signaled that they intend to get younger.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
The most likely casualty to keep Stastny would be Perreault IMO. They really need to find someone to take Mason off the books too.
Winger would probably be the best casualty. We are almost too deep on winger department considering our C’s. I would be really reluctant to let any D go. There is enough challenges already. Buff would be obvious and he has played so good that he could be traded without any cap retain. But we need him probably much more than one C.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is my main concern that we won’t have two scoring lines.. We have only two at the moment with Statsny.

If Little really is 2nd C next year it must be with Connor and Wheels.. We have seen enough ELL.

Connor and Wheels or MP and Roslo. I agree that we don't need to see Ehlers and Laine with him again. Not sure if it could work by breaking up that pair. My guess would be not.

I would do:
Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Tanev - Lowry - Armia
MP - Copp - Roslovic

Yes, ESL had defensive problems last year. That was then, this is now. Ehlers has become quite good defensively and Laine is better than he was - and he will get better yet. And they were great offensively.

CLW is a good 2 way line. TLA is a good shutdown line and MCR will beat almost every 4th line in the league.

Not sure who we might have in the PB next year. Might be Dano again, or maybe he is gone.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Everything really starts with Stastny and his willingness to even consider signing in Winnipeg. My gut says that he may want to go back to St.Louis for family reasons, or maybe back to the Avs. Of course that assumes those teams are also in a signing him.

Under the assumption he and his family were willing to sign here, for me I think it can't come at the expense of the younger core (Ehlers, Laine, Connor, Roslo, JoMo, Trouba, Lowry).

Personally, I think the best way for it to happen is for the Jets to have success in this years playoff. Wheeler and Stastny would be the next "older" guys to need deals, and the best avenue IMO (for the team mind you) would be for them to take a series of short term deals while they think the team is a contender. I don't think that is very feasible because I think both guys would want, and would get term in the market place, but I also don't like the idea of tieing a lot of money in guys over 30, when we should be giving it to the next wave of guys.

Reactions: Stej and GNP

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think any of the contract options are realistic. I highly doubt he will take less than a 4 or 5 year deal. If he did, it would be for more money than what is seen in the poll.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Perreault doesn't do it. That is only 4.125 mil and we would need to replace him with someone. If it is MP, we would need to also move someone else in the 2.5 mil + range.

If we get JT long term we could move both MP and Myers. That could work but it would get very tight the next year.

Being the 3C, I think Lowry is an obvious candidate to be the 2nd one moved. I wouldn't want to lose his physical presence, especially in the PO's. But Scheif, Stas, Little, Copp down the middle is pretty good - until Stastny and Little age out.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Perreault doesn't do it. That is only 4.125 mil and we would need to replace him with someone. If it is MP, we would need to also move someone else in the 2.5 mil + range.

If we get JT long term we could move both MP and Myers. That could work but it would get very tight the next year.

Being the 3C, I think Lowry is an obvious candidate to be the 2nd one moved. I wouldn't want to lose his physical presence, especially in the PO's. But Scheif, Stas, Little, Copp down the middle is pretty good - until Stastny and Little age out.
Lowry still plays? Haven’t seen him in what seems like years.

:sarcasm:

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
The problem is if we go deep this year and Stastny keeps up the chemistry, his market value goes up. The only way these numbers are remotely realistic is if he doesn't contribute to a deep cup run. Gotta keep developing our prospects... Or use them to trade for our needs with long-term sustainability in mind. I liked this trade, especially with Lowry out, but with the cap every team needs ELC's to contribute.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lowry still plays? Haven’t seen him in what seems like years.

:sarcasm:

:laugh:
Yeah, I thought of that. Makes him seem expendable but we are a lot better with him than without him and that will go double in the PO's.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If we sign Stastny ($5.5), Laine ($8+), Wheeler ($6+), Trouba ($6+), Morrissey ($5+), Hellebuyck ($5+), Connor ($5+) that’s well over $40 million and an increase of $20+ million on their current deals with Jets.

Now, the Jets could maybe increase their payroll by $10 million, but they would need to reduce their payroll by a minimum $10 million to make it work reasonably well.

Finding $10 million is some combination of Myers, Enstrom, Mason and Perreault after factoring the costs of their replacements. Buff and Wheels will eventually be looked at should Vesalainen and others develop into quality nhl’ers that will also be paid.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If you pay to keep Stastny, you have to give elsewhere. At 32, a multi-yr deal becomes more of a risk.

Would he sign a 1 or 2 year deal with Jets? That would be my preference after thinking about it a bit more.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Can jets compete when they have to pay more. They can't offer the same kind of endorsement money so ultimately we should take the wins while we have them.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Based upon discussion in the St. L forum, I'm guessing he goes back to Colorado next year

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How do you think
ESl
Crw
PLA
ClT
Would look?
If Roslo keeps his pace do we need Stas if mo would breakup wheeler and Schief?

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
We'll need a discount if there's going to be room for Stastny. I can't see us having room to pay him more than $4M. That may be the cost to keep him on a favoured contender. Can't mortgage the future on him now, even though he's been basically just what the doctor ordered for Laine and Ehlers.

I'd love to see him longer, but how? And how does it affect the development of Roslovic, who we still hope to see as a C in the future.

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
Might there be a less expensive but similar option out there? Roslovic? Someone else?
Laine and Ehlers will be even better next year; they might be able to elevate a centreman who isn’t quite as good as S.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->