• Yes, but the top price should be $ 5 mil obver 3 years

• Yes, and we should give him $ 6mil over 3 years

• Yes, and we should sign him for $ 5 mil over 5 years

• Yes, buit for 1 year only at $ 5 mil tops

• No, don't sign him, he's to old, and was just a rental

• No, we should develop a young guy like Roslo or someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
After reading comments on the Blue's board for 3 hours, right after the trade, here's what the Blue's fans thought of the trade. Generally to my surprise-- they were quite happy with the trade. The reasons for this are as follows. Note before he signed with the Blues, the Avalanche didn't want him at that price.

Firstly Stastny was signed for about $ 7.5 million with St.Louis, and was supposed to be a # 1 center, but he could only slot in as a second line center-- so there was disappointment there.

The fans thought he was rather "slow" and quite often invisible--something like Bryan Little is for the Jets. They also felt he was a good "set up man" and great positional player.

His point production was decent, but they were expecting much more at a price of $ 7.5 mil per year.

Some fans think he may re-sign, but if he does, they want it to be for a lot less money. They said he was very well liked by the players, fans, and management alike.

Why was Stastny traded-- the fans felt that GM -- Armstrong wanted to have Cap room to sign John Tavares, and they needed the Cap room, and extra money to do so.

Reason why Stastny left St.Louis -- well he had a "no move clause" but apparently waived for the Jets because he wanted to win a Stanley Cup, and play with the talented Jets. Also he is very good friends with Wheeler, and played with him before.

Something to note here !!! nearly all Blues fans will be cheering for the Jets in the playoffs-they like the Jets. They are "friendly" and not like the Oiler fans !!!

With this being said, if the Jet's could sign him at 32 years old--and I believe, they will want to, especially with the slow declining play of Bryan Little. The question is -- are you fans in favor of signing Stastny ? when we have a young Roslovic that could slot in at much less money ??? Maybe someone else ???

I'm of the opinion that we should sign him in the $ 4.5 to $ 5 mil tops range but for no more than 3 years, and would love to hear your opinions.

Because he waived to come here -- I think he'd like to stay, as he wants to win the Cup, and he sees all the talent on this young Jet's club. Should we sign this guy at 32 years old ??? He also has played with Wheeler and they are very good friends, so he'll feel at home here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd like to sign Stastny. Little's contract kind of blocks this though - the Jets can't afford both and Little's not going anywhere (full NMC). So that's that.

Reactions: Heldig

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Love him, but we have Roslo, Schiefele, Lowry, Little.

Little has underwhelmed this year, but he's still a great player and will bounce back next year with maybe a more suited set of wingers.

Roslo is still heading towards future 2C.

Wish Stas was on a Brassard deal, just so we could try it out over a full season.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Love him, but we have Roslo, Schiefele, Lowry, Little.

Little has underwhelmed this year, but he's still a great player and will bounce back next year with maybe a more suited set of wingers.

Roslo is still heading towards future 2C.

Wish Stas was on a Brassard deal, just so we could try it out over a full season.
But who are the more suited wingers? It doesn’t work with Laine, Ehlers, MP or Roslovic. There is only Wheeler and Connor left..

With all those wingers Jets really need 2nd C in order to win cup. Stastny should be signed at least for year before Laine cap kicks in. He might even sign one year deal because next year Jets are going to be even better contender.

Reactions: Ippenator

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Florida- the $ 6 mil over 3 years--is exactly what my poll states ( $ 6mil per year). I did not mean it to be $ 6 mil "total" over 3 years @ $ 2mil per year--he'd never sign for that !!!

All my options shown are pay amounts "per year"-- I guess I should have been more explicit, but you cannot edit a poll- thanks for voting.:)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No proper answer in the poll. For example, $6M over three years is only $2M per year. No way he signs for that. I would be in favor or $4M-$5M per year for 3-4 years and to move Little out.

Moving Little is really not an option. Full NMC. New contract hasn't even kicked in yet.

I don't believe he has actually declined that much, if at all. He was just not a fit for Laine and Ehlers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would love to keep Stastny. In a vacuum I'd offer 5.5x3-4 years. Trouble is there is no way to fit him under the cap without some major pain somewhere else. Moving Little just doesn't work, several different ways.

There is no good reason to believe he would be any better than Little. He has just been a better fit with Ehlers and Laine so far.

It is like all the other suggestions to upgrade 3C. It just gets too expensive.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I would love to keep Stastny. In a vacuum I'd offer 5.5x3-4 years. Trouble is there is no way to fit him under the cap without some major pain somewhere else. Moving Little just doesn't work, several different ways.

There is no good reason to believe he would be any better than Little. He has just been a better fit with Ehlers and Laine so far.

It is like all the other suggestions to upgrade 3C. It just gets too expensive.
Moving Little is really not an option. Full NMC. New contract hasn't even kicked in yet.

I don't believe he has actually declined that much, if at all. He was just not a fit for Laine and Ehlers.
I believe Little can still be moved as his NMC does not kick in until the new contract does, which I believe is this July.

Reactions: hudster and GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
his contract value will increase come playoffs. He's in a great position to rack up points on this team during a long SC run.

Reactions: GNP

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018

But if someone is better fit with teams 2nd (rocket contender) and 3rd wingers then he is without a doubt a better C for the team.

I am really concerned about next season. Jets have probably the better shot to win SC than ever and if we are going with Little as 2nd C we are ******.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I believe Little can still be moved as his NMC does not kick in until the new contract does, which I believe is this July.

Nope. IIRC it was done in a bit of an unusual way. When he signed, his full NMC was extended to cover this year. Didn't even know that was possible. :laugh:

If I am mistaken then you are correct. It would just be possible. I think the optics are bad though, with his new contract not even having kicked in yet. And, of course you must have Stastny signed before committing to moving Little.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
When they announced his new deal, they said they were applying the NMC to the last year of his current contract as part of it.

Bryan Little signs 6-year extension with Winnipeg Jets

"Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said the three year no movement starts this season."

6 years? Jesus Christ...

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Stastny is not signing anywhere for two years. Especially if he can feed Laine/powerplay for 10-12 more points this year.

He's getting a 5-6 year deal and Jets can't swing it. Hold him while you can.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But if someone is better fit with teams 2nd (rocket contender) and 3rd wingers then he is without a doubt a better C for the team.

I am really concerned about next season. Jets have probably the better shot to win SC than ever and if we are going with Little as 2nd C we are ******.

I think you are seriously underrating Little. You also may be overrating Stastny based on 5 games. Apparently StL fans had the same concerns about Stas as you have about Little. They saw him very much the same way we see Little but they were paying 3 mil per year more for him.

I think Little is fine with Conner and Wheeler. Ehlers and Laine are great with Scheifele. I think Little is also fine with MP and Roslovic. He is not good with Ehlers and Laine. Not a problem because Scheifele is.

But, enough opinion. :laugh: The hard facts are that we cannot afford both without extreme measures. We likely cannot move Little. There is a very good chance Stastny goes back to StL. So the whole discussion becomes academic.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
When they announced his new deal, they said they were applying the NMC to the last year of his current contract as part of it.

"Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said the three year no movement starts this season."

6 years? Jesus Christ...
Houston we have a problem.. It is pretty useless to pay huge bucks for wingers if you don’t have centers.. It is like buying a Ferrari without engine.

Reactions: Hulide and GNP

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I'm not sure Roslo is a 2c going forward, and Little isn't anymore. sign him and maybe move a dman in the offseason.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

6 years? Jesus Christ...

Yeah, 6 years after this one for Bryan might be tough in the last couple of years. I'm not too concerned in the short term though.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

6 years? Jesus Christ...
Thanks. I wasn't aware. I believe the NMC only applied for the first 2-3 years of the contract. Then Little submits a 14 team list every year after. So there is flexibility to trade him a couple years into the contract.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I think you are seriously underrating Little. You also may be overrating Stastny based on 5 games. Apparently StL fans had the same concerns about Stas as you have about Little. They saw him very much the same way we see Little but they were paying 3 mil per year more for him.

I think Little is fine with Conner and Wheeler. Ehlers and Laine are great with Scheifele. I think Little is also fine with MP and Roslovic. He is not good with Ehlers and Laine. Not a problem because Scheifele is.

But, enough opinion. :laugh: The hard facts are that we cannot afford both without extreme measures. We likely cannot move Little. There is a very good chance Stastny goes back to StL. So the whole discussion becomes academic.
I wrote this to Little thread:
Went through some stats and one can hardly claim that 2nd C has done offensively good job with 37 pts while there is wingers with 75, 62, 52, 41 and 37. This with fair amount of PP time and solid TOI.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
C depth is vital for a Stanley Cup run. If you could fit Stastny in the budget for a short term (3 years) you do it. Dont know why Stastny would agree to < 5 years though nor to a large salary reduction.

With Little's contract kicking in you probably dont want to commit to another 30+ player for a long term.

Plus, until the Trouba contract is resolved it will be difficult to make free agent decisions.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
If we sign stats we say good bye to lowry armia and maybe copp who are all due for raises and we replace them with roslovic tanev petan or dano as full time players

Connor shief wheels
Laine stats eels
Tanev little roslovic
Petan hendricks dano

I say we skip unless we trade little

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->