Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz (February 19th)

Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz? (February 19th)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I dunno. Yes I voted to keep him for the season.

I like this team better than the previous 3. The youth and speed will make them unpredictable (assuming we get to see it). I think the Caps had too much predictability to them the last 2 years with their rosters. No one really brought anything “different” to the team. By “different”, I mean guys like Vrana, Chiasson, Gersich, Stephenson, Jerabek, Kempny, Djoos. All guys that can change a game from a lower level position than the guys before them.

Wilson , Orlov, Carlson, Grubauer (and Kuznetsov) are all much better. We didn’t have those elements either. No one filled those roles as well.

Backstrom, Ovechkin, Oshie, Niskanen, Orpik are all basically the same.

Burakovsky, Beagle and Holtby are all worse.

I think it makes for a better playoff team....assuming the goaltending holds up
Did you really just say 17-18 Ovie is the same as 16-17 Ovie? I was with you 'til then.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
For playoff purposes, yes. He wasn’t bad in last years playoffs, at all (though I didn’t consider putting him in the “better”category....but I don’t think it holds water as he was good last year in the Loffs)
He was, but if that's the criteria this makes no sense. For example, Willy was great last playoffs. Hard to say he's better now when no playoff games have yet been played. If we're comparing the players at the end of last RS with the end of this one, then fine, but seems like you're moving the goal post a bit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He was, but if that's the criteria this makes no sense. For example, Willy was great last playoffs. Hard to say he's better now when no playoff games have yet been played. If we're comparing the players at the end of last RS with the end of this one, then fine, but seems like you're moving the goal post a bit.

Not really. Willy, Kuz, et all have really never played this well before (even Wilson's great series v Toronto....he's better now than he was then). They are all at all time highs, IMO.

Ovechkin has played this well before...a lot. So he seemed the same to me. Maybe I should have worded it all better. But thats where I stand.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think Wilson is going to need to be a disruptive force. Not only should he be trying to wear down Werenski and Jones, but special teams play is a huge weakness of the Jackets and it might be beneficial to make the refs make calls. Even if it means Wilson is going to have to sit for some reputation calls. The longer this series is played at 5v5 the more it benefits the Jackets IMO. I'd rather see tons of PPs both ways.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You could fire Trotz, but you'd be treating the symptom, not the problem. At some point it really is on the players to get it done.

And if they're not cutting it then you get new players, right? Who needs to go?

The job of a coach/leader is to get his players/employees to perform. Even if the employees are technically the ones failing to do X it's still ultimately the responsibility of the coach to make sure X gets done.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
the coach doesnt matter to me anymore... if they get bounced this year, there will no hero waiting to taker over and coach them into a cup. maybe...maybe there is a slight chance if they get over the second round... lets face it they wont. in retrospect its easy to say now but the window the caps have/had got treated like dogshit by the topguy. to many maniacs were allowed into the organization just to use the caps roster as some personal experiment for rookie coaches.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Washington 4 games to 2 vs Toronto (2017.) Washington 4 games to 2 vs Philadelphia (2016.)

Washington makes everything harder on themselves than it needs to be. I think Columbus has a good chance to win this series.

I suggested last year that Washington needs to fire their coach. People defended the coach, and suggested that some sort of "magical curse" is to blame for Washington's struggles. I disagree about the "curse." I think that any coach, who can't get his team to eliminate 8th seeds in less than 6 games, is not the right man for the job.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I suggested last year that Washington needs to fire their coach. People defended the coach, and suggested that some sort of "magical curse" is to blame for Washington's struggles. I disagree about the "curse." I think that any coach, who can't get his team to eliminate 8th seeds in less than 6 games, is not the right man for the job.

Do you have a list of those posters?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The answer to the title of this thread is yes. But that ship has sailed. Barring a miracle miracle performance they will let him walk after these playoffs.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Do you have a list of those posters?

You can use the search feature. Like I said, Washington fans blame a "curse," rather than the coach, or players. I recall comments like: "It doesn't matter who the coach is, or who the players are, this team is cursed." Of course, not all blame "The Curse." But I definitely did see this response frequently last year.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Has anyone ever thought that we just don't have the personal to succeed in the playoffs? Hate to rain on your parade but we don't. We are too soft. Too many guys float. We have the skill but in the playoffs you need players that will go to the dirty areas. That isn't our game. To win in the playoffs you also need strong goaltending. Grubauer isn't the guy to do that. Holtby, maybe. He was pretty strong in the playoffs before last season but since then he hasn't been very good. I still believe Holtby is our better option.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Blame as many coaches as you want. Players play the games. They choke not the coach.

I think some Caps fans won’t realize it until some big names retire, but this team doesn’t have that extra gear when it’s needed most and we don’t have the types of leaders that demand everyone run through a brick wall and can lift guys up and make them believe.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You can use the search feature. Like I said, Washington fans blame a "curse," rather than the coach, or players. I recall comments like: "It doesn't matter who the coach is, or who the players are, this team is cursed." Of course, not all blame "The Curse." But I definitely did see this response frequently last year.

That’s just silly....not on these boards, maybe some randoms floating Caps avatars on the mains.

Any talk of a curse here was either largely in jest, or just feeling sorry for ourselves. You can’t honestly believe anyone sane believes that. Most here were ready to move on from Trotz after last playoffs, some well before.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
That’s just silly....not on these boards, maybe some randoms floating Caps avatars on the mains.

Any talk of a curse here was either largely in jest, or just feeling sorry for ourselves. You can’t honestly believe anyone sane believes that. Most here were ready to move on from Trotz after last playoffs, some well before.

I just did a quick forum search:

The caps have their playoff sadness and all, it sucks, but what you listed above is also pretty brutal as well. We can relate in similar fashion but different ways.

Well congrats, because you're likely about to see your first game 7 in franchise history. That's what we do in Caps land. We make it as painful as possible.

We have this thing, it's called a curse. Have you heard of the Stanley trash can?

This angered the Hockey Gods and the franchise has been doomed since, I don't know what we can do to appease the gods and be forgiven. Some of us have even attempted to sacrifice other cans in forgiveness, but no success yet.

Story below.

The Caps and the Stanley Can

I do assume most people, such as this poster, mean it in jest. But some people repeat things so often, that well, they begin to believe it.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
You could fire Trotz, but you'd be treating the symptom, not the problem. At some point it really is on the players to get it done.
That wouldn't be an example of the symptom. Now if you were referring to Patrick, yes Trotz is the symptom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad