Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz (February 19th)

Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz? (February 19th)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
why haven't we collectively figured out his system?

Me suspects Shrek is trying to make us over confident. He had a meltdown and flipped out over Kuzy telling jokes. What a character. Kuz, that is.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
There is something to be said about having to build a team able to defeat your division or conference powerhouse. Copying them is a start, when you are fresh out of original ideas.

But teams styles can vary, game to game. We see Barry tout being able to play any style. I think he needs to look at his opponent, and decide which style will dictate wins. Yes dictate.

I feel he is being too reactive in his approach; coaching as if the opposition coach is just going to bring the same style over and over. And also, Barry seems too slow to react to what the opposition is doing. I keep going back to Toronto - Babcocks slot shot ricochet approach on how to take down Holts. And he almost did. I argued for days with posters who were saying those were all blind luck goals. It was not luck it was a deliberate offensive approach and it took Barry 3 games to adjust and mark the punks in the slot and Holts to cheat a bit.

By then it was too late, and Holts confidence had been tested. And I am not sure he has fully recovered.

Barry needs to let his hair down and go all out. He is coaching for his next job, like a UFA who we see bringing it. Try speed. Try to expose bottom pair D with last change at home. Try aggressive subtle interference, if he insists on copying what the winning team does. We play all year for first place and 1 measly extra home game per series. Use the line changes to your advantage! He needs to stop f***ing around. Grab the bull by the horns and exploit any advantage he can. Including stealing Babcocks ricochet offense if the boys are cresting the next no name hot goalie we create.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ricochet offense never was a thing in Ovi era. I doubt it happens. Players dont think that way apparently.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
<snip>
Barry needs to let his hair down and go all out. He is coaching for his next job, like a UFA who we see bringing it. Try speed. Try to expose bottom pair D with last change at home. Try aggressive subtle interference, if he insists on copying what the winning team does. We play all year for first place and 1 measly extra home game per series. Use the line changes to your advantage! He needs to stop ****ing around. Grab the bull by the horns and exploit any advantage he can. Including stealing Babcocks ricochet offense if the boys are cresting the next no name hot goalie we create.
Not gonna happen :D... we're doomed :eek:

Btw generally agree w/your thoughts.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is a great page. Trots has no system. Just work hard. When he,talks about having a lot of detail in their game it's a dodge because there are no details. Hell, there's no game planning. He just shows up in a suit, wins the game and collects his check.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ricochet offense never was a thing in Ovi era. I doubt it happens. Players dont think that way apparently.

in my illustrious roller career i would slap at anyone crashing the net. Try and reward them for their nose for the net / taking out the D. Babcock had his guys up much higher in the slot than i had ever seen. Our D were still back on their heels for the first 3 games before finally moving and squashing their offense. That won the series for us.

Last edited:

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Many said here and elsewhere, including friends that follow the Caps, that BB was slow to adjust, didn't have plan "B", etc.
Now many are saying the same/similar about Trotz. What about Hunter? Was he good at adjusting in game or in series?

Not saying the criticism of Trotz is particularly untrue. It begs the question. Who were the HCs the Caps could've hired that were better?

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Many said here and elsewhere, including friends that follow the Caps, that BB was slow to adjust, didn't have plan "B", etc.
Now many are saying the same/similar about Trotz. What about Hunter? Was he good at adjusting in game or in series?

Not saying the criticism of Trotz is particularly untrue. It begs the question. Who were the HCs the Caps could've hired that were better?

Lavi probably would have been a better up tempo coach for the personnel that the Caps had, IMHO.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sep 19, 2008
Yes it totally makes sense to fire a guy who's won all 3 of his first round series so far, lost 2 hard fought series to the eventual Stanley Cup champion, and led a team from a horrific offseason (losing Schmidt and Johansson) to the Metro division title IN A STACKED DIVISION mind you.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

The Capitals' poor record of head coaching hires doesn't mean they should stick with one that is out of time and hasn't shown what it takes to win in the playoffs (even with stacked rosters). While there are a few notable exceptions, most coaches messages and systems tend to go stale after a while. New leaders and new ideas are required to keep the locker room's confidence and to stay ahead of trends in the NHL.

I don't think Trotz (or Boudreau) are bad coaches. In fact, I think both are tremendous coaches. They just have both struggled immensely with the head-to-head style of playoff coaching.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I dunno. Yes I voted to keep him for the season.

I like this team better than the previous 3. The youth and speed will make them unpredictable (assuming we get to see it). I think the Caps had too much predictability to them the last 2 years with their rosters. No one really brought anything “different” to the team. By “different”, I mean guys like Vrana, Chiasson, Gersich, Stephenson, Jerabek, Kempny, Djoos. All guys that can change a game from a lower level position than the guys before them.

Wilson , Orlov, Carlson, Grubauer (and Kuznetsov) are all much better. We didn’t have those elements either. No one filled those roles as well.

Backstrom, Ovechkin, Oshie, Niskanen, Orpik are all basically the same.

Burakovsky, Beagle and Holtby are all worse.

I think it makes for a better playoff team....assuming the goaltending holds up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->