Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz (February 19th)

Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz? (February 19th)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Changed my vote. I thought it would be too late for the new HC to get their style meshed with the team, but Bylsma was promoted to Pittsburgh February 16th so it has been done before.

I still don't think it will actually happen and they will just let Barry walk in the offseason

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don't think it will happen either. Not Ted's style.

The question is, should it happen.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think the Caps should stick with Trotz at least until the end of the season. Its funny how a lot of people didnt think this team would be a playoff team because we lost so many guys in the off season. Well 3/4s of the way into the season we are in a playoff spot and have a legitimate shot at the division. Yet a lot of people want Trotz fired. This team could win 10 in a row and people will still be asking for the death penalty. People assume the team needs a coaching change. Has anyone ever thought firing Trotz now could backfire. We could end up missing the playoffs.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
They can't even get any worse at this point! Also can't use the "But they're leading the division" excuse anymore either. That ship has sailed too.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
They can't even get any worse at this point! Also can't use the "But they're leading the division" excuse anymore either. That ship has sailed too.
My point is that a lot of people here didnt think this was a playoff team. If that is the case that means this team is overachieving. It seems most fans here are very negative towards the team even when they do win. Like I said we could win 10 in a row and fans will still be asking for the death penalty.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Who's winning 10 in a row? Not these Capitals. :silly:
80% of the season is over and Barry has no other plan besides what? Ride it out? I wouldn't even be so mad at him if he were at least trying something, anything different but nope. He's not.

There were the Nashville Predators, now the Washington Predators and soon there will be the _____ Predcaps. 1 trick pony coach.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They can’t get any worse? Puff puff pass please.

Wouldn’t break my heart to see Barry go early, but I don’t have any faith in a coaching change mattering come May.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
They are a .500 team since January. And they’re lucky to be .500 since then. They’ve been dreadful and disorganized and they are playing beneath their talent level. And they are being led by a guy with no track record of playoff success.

Now’s a perfect time to see what Reirden has. If he stinks it up too then they can look for someone else in the offseason.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think the Caps should stick with Trotz at least until the end of the season. Its funny how a lot of people didnt think this team would be a playoff team because we lost so many guys in the off season. Well 3/4s of the way into the season we are in a playoff spot and have a legitimate shot at the division. Yet a lot of people want Trotz fired. This team could win 10 in a row and people will still be asking for the death penalty. People assume the team needs a coaching change. Has anyone ever thought firing Trotz now could backfire. We could end up missing the playoffs.

A lot of people thought the team would take a step back, A lot of people did not think we would miss the playoffs. Big difference.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
A lot of people thought the team would take a step back, A lot of people did not think we would miss the playoffs. Big difference.

I was going to say that same thing. Take away a few mid level pieces from a President's trophy team and you still have a playoff team. The preseason rankings that I read all said that same thing. For example this one still had the Caps as the 9th best team in the NHL:

NHL preseason power rankings: Penguins start where they finished

This is consistent with the consensus that I recall.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Previous poll from November, if anyone is interested in what we thought then...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/will-trotz-be-fired-poll-added.2413515/

To be fair, that one said what we thought WILL happen. This one is asking what we think SHOULD happen. I think most of us are resigned to the fact that management/ownership isn't likely to make a coaching change at this point unless the wheels completely fall off, despite what we think should or should not happen.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

not really sure that ship has sailed. 1pt back with 3 games in hand. were this baseball style standings the caps are still in the lead based on winning pct. if they win in buffalo....

Reactions: maacoshark

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
To be fair, that one said what we thought WILL happen. This one is asking what we think SHOULD happen. I think most of us are resigned to the fact that management/ownership isn't likely to make a coaching change at this point unless the wheels completely fall off, despite what we think should or should not happen.

They're differently worded polls and it was posted for reference, including some perspective on how we felt about playoff chances as mentioned here earlier. I didn't think that was unclear or "unfair".

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The answer is the same as it's been since last year's meltdown and that's unequivocally yes. Trotz has been outcoached in every playoff series since he's been here. He blew it two years in a row with the best roster in hockey; why should we expect him to magically be able to make the necessary tactical adjustments with a more flawed team this year? He coaches scared and not to lose and it bites this team in the ass year after year.

He's a great guy and brought some much needed stability to the organization after the Oates atrocities but his expiration date has already come and gone.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
not really sure that ship has sailed. 1pt back with 3 games in hand. were this baseball style standings the caps are still in the lead based on winning pct. if they win in buffalo....

They were 10 points ahead while looking like crap and it was a nice excuse to fall back on. Now only 1 point with multiple teams on their ass....and still looking like crap.

I don't actually care which place they finish, my concern is they're still looking like crap with no end in sight.

Reactions: Corby78

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They were 10 points ahead while looking like crap and it was a nice excuse to fall back on. Now only 1 point with multiple teams on their ass....and still looking like crap.

I don't actually care which place they finish, my concern is they're still looking like crap with no end in sight.

You could just change your sig line so you don’t have to always type it so often. I did it a few years ago with George. It didn’t work then, but it made me feel better? Like this below. Just have it in every post so you can ensure no one misses it ....in....every....post.

Fire George!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Ok....you said that ship had sailed. it in fact hadn't left the dock. if you want to say that finishing first is of no value, ok. if you say they didn't win the division after they won the division someone is probably going to bring it up

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am intrigued at giving Reirden a shot now, for fear he will walk at year end if we don't promise him the gig. If we have already said the gig is his, why not give it to him now? I know, we beat Buffalo today, 3-2.

The players cough Ovi give their all for Barry, so firing him is much harder with players that love the guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->