Should the Canucks re-sign Jim Benning to a contract extension?

Should the Canucks re-sign Jim Benning

• Total voters

GFY

Touhou Fanatic
Dec 21, 2013
Richmond, B.C.
As the title says. His contract is expiring at the end of this season, he's had quite an interesting tenure thus far as Canucks GM, and I'm fairly interested to see how this poll turns out

I'm also quite interested to see what other fanbases think as well, so I've added a couple other options.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A very hard evaluation. I have no idea on how much say Aquellini had over certain moves and how hamstrung he was by the Sedins, in the "re-tooling" over rebuilding. I do know from some very reliable people that Aquellini handcuffed Benning in regards to how quickly he could turn over the scouting department. Aquellini was not going to buy those guys out, so Benning has had to slowly phase their deals out to bring new guys in.

I personally wouldn't keep him in a vacuum, but I don't think its the worst. If Aquellini is just going to handcuff the next GM with similar tactics, then I think you should probably give him a 2-year extension. He has his guys in place now. Otherwise, I think you may just be setting the next guy up to fail, unless he believes in how Benning has re-shaped the scouting staff.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
No no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

-----------------------------------------
Chorus:
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

(Chorus)

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

(Chorus)

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

(fade out)

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Flames and Oilers fans voting yes hoping Vancouver subjects themselves to more years of bad contracts and bleeding assets.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Depends who else is available and what direction they want to go and whether or not Benning feels comfortable and committed to that.

I don't think he's been as terrible as some think but just kind of "meh" feeling on this. If there's someone better out there with a vision and a plan that looks good on paper, i guess it wouldn't hurt to make a change. But i don't think they have to get rid of him just for the sake of making a change.

Long-term extension wouldn't make any sense though.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Like ****ing what?

The answer is no x 100000000000

Shinkaruk for Granlund
Hansen for Goldobin
Burrows for Dahlin
McCann for Gudbranson
Pedan for Pouliot
2nd for Baertschi

If he manages to trade Eriksson for magic beans then Canucks fans should love him.

The ones I see that are: Vey for a 2nd, Sutter for Benino, Clendening and 2nd.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Shinkaruk for Granlund
Hansen for Goldobin
Burrows for Dahlin
McCann for Gudbranson
Pedan for Pouliot
2nd for Baertschi

If he manages to trade Eriksson for magic beans then Canucks fans should love him.

The ones I see that are: Vey for a 2nd, Sutter for Benino, Clendening and 2nd.

McCann + 33rd overall for Erik Gudbranson was an absolutely awful trade, how on gods earth can you say otherwise?

The deals that stand out for being good are the Baertschi and Dahlen trade, no complaints at all.

The rest you mentioned are boredline NHL players, really nothing to write home amount. Hansen may be playing poorly in hindsight but at the time his value was extremely high he was scoring at a top 6 rate in Vancouver and brought immense intangibles. Goldobin doesn't seem like that great of a return for a guy of that ilk, a guy that can't crack the NHL in his draft + 4 season.

Look at the net Ryan Kesler transaction the Canucks traded a Selke candidate centre on a good contract for Erik Gudbranson, Brandon Sutter and Luca Sbisa. I wouldn't take that package for free.

The Vancouver Canucks have some of the most inept pro-scouting in north american team sports right now, look at the defenders that Benning has brought in since taking over in 2014. Luca Sbisa, Adam Clendenning, Matt Bartowski, Andrey Pedan, Erik Gudbranson, MDZ. Benning has been at the helm for 4 years and has spent countless assets and cap space trying to upgrade the d-core but hasn't even been able to bring in a single top 4 defender.

This is a team that finished 28th and 29th in league, while spending to the cap and trying to compete for a playoff spot. Benning has been incredibly inept, anyone trying to argue in his favour are dead wrong in their assessments.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd give him an extension. He's been pretty decent in the area a rebuilding Canucks team needs to be best in, and an absolutely titanic improvement over the previous regime in terms of the draft and development aspect.

Certainly has his issues though, and would be well served to have his extension come along with a contract for someone more adept at the financial details of the management process to aide him, and the hiring of a really good Jim Benning to "smartass Lawyer talk" translator to get through to the masses of Canucks fans who can't seem to get past Jimbo's "real bad" uneducated manner of speech and pine deeply for the days of Gillis treating the media and fans with the utmost disrespect and condescension, with a constant smooth operator snake oil salesman song and dance.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
I think he's improving but his pro-scouting has been trash.

Interested to see what he does at the deadline, might be playoffs for an extension.

Kind of dangerous for the future of the team now that I think about it.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
One huge factor in favor of Jim Benning is the fact he drafted Brock Boeser 23rd overall in 2015. Boeser should have been picked in the top 10 if not the top 5 in that draft. Could easily be the biggest steal of that draft.

Everything else Jim Benning has done has been a mixed bag of good and bad. For the Brock Boeser pick alone gives me reason to consider an extension.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I guess the question to ask is, "does the good outweigh the bad?"
I answered No so I selected No.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
No no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

Chorus:
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

(Chorus)

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

(Chorus)

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

no no no no no no no no
no no no no no no no no

(fade out)

By FAR the best comment I've ever read on hfboards. Holy f***.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad