Should rules change for defected players?

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
That doesn't work in minor hockey and the cheating (fake moves/divorces, private schools) is rampant so it would only be worse with higher stakes.
It just so happens almost every great player just happens to live in London, it’s the craziest thing lol

Reactions: SYWTom

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
That doesn't work in minor hockey and the cheating (fake moves/divorces, private schools) is rampant so it would only be worse with higher stakes.

I think enough parameters could be put in place that could limit this... the owners would want to do it though... and since they don't have an issue with the current system I'd say it's not about to change.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I think enough parameters could be put in place that could limit this... the owners would want to do it though... and since they don't have an issue with the current system I'd say it's not about to change.
If some parents want their kids to play for a certain OHL team they will probably just move to that region or some other devious ways to circumvent the rule. IMHO this idea while ok has a lot of wiggle room to "work the system" a lot more than the current system!

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
If some parents want their kids to play for a certain OHL team they will probably just move to that region or some other devious ways to circumvent the rule. IMHO this idea while ok has a lot of wiggle room to "work the system" a lot more than the current system!

Maybe I'm an anomaly, I would do anything for my kids, but selling a house and looking for a new job just doesn't seem productive. If anything my proposal puts a lot more onus on the family. Right now it's "I'm going NCAA... No I'm not" under my proposal it's a lot more intense than that to skirt the system.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Maybe I'm an anomaly, I would do anything for my kids, but selling a house and looking for a new job just doesn't seem productive. If anything my proposal puts a lot more onus on the family. Right now it's "I'm going NCAA... No I'm not" under my proposal it's a lot more intense than that to skirt the system.

I think I'm the same as you, but I'm just relating my own personal experience with sport parents. Our youngest daughter was involved in a sport in which once you reach a certain level you needed to move up a tier regardless of age. One of her teammates parents decided that since they had to move a tier they would actually move to Toronto where the coaching they thought was better and the competition more intense. They sold their house here in KW and bought a house in Etobicoke. Their daughter went to school there while they commuted back and forth. With those prices and gas they were probably out maybe 250k.
Hockey has some potential in some sort of payback with a pro career. Oh btw...our daughters sport...synchronized swimming with zero financial reward at the end. I figure if parents are that whacko in that sport I figure hockey parents would be a lot worse.

Also we see some European parents move here to advance their 14 or 15 year old sons hockey.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Maybe you are, just relating my own personal experience with sporting parenting. Our youngest daughter was involved in a sport in which once you reach a certain level you needed to move up a tier regardless of age. One of her teammates parents decided that since they had to move a pier they would actualy move to Toronto where the coaching they thought was better and the competetion more intense. They sold their house here in KW and bought a house in Etobioke. Their daughter went to school there while they commuted back and forth. With thouse prices and gas they were probably out maybe 250k.
Hockey has some potential in some sort of payback with a pro career. Oh btw...our daughters sport...synchronized swimming with zero financial reward at the end. I figure if parents are that whacko in that sport I figure hockey parents would be a lot worse.

Also we see some European parents move here to advance their 14 or 15 year old sons hockey.
I could name a few players from our area that had addresses in two cities so they could play Triple A. The parents of one said they were divorced. Also a Ranger player's father told me they moved to Toronto so their son could play in that midget league. Lot's of politics in hockey at every level. I doubt the OHL will change the way they do business because first they have compensation in place and secondly they want these to kids in the league as opposed to them playing elsewhere. Every team has the same opportunities to draft the top kids if they fall in their order of the draft and they are still available. It's prudent to take flyers on these highly skilled players especially if it's after the first two rounds. After so many rounds it is basically a crap shoot unless the scouts know something others fail to recognize IMO.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad