Should Orr have won more Harts?

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
He won 3 in a row from 70-72.

Looking at the Hart votes, Orr didn't come 2nd in any other years.

In 68-69 based on missing numerous games you could say Esposito was more important.

But Orr's 73-75 seasons saw him continue to put up big numbers including leading the league in +/- in 74 and 75. He dominated the Norris voting.

Considering Hart voting has always been biased towards forwards, should Orr have won more Harts had they been voted fairly?

Since the Pearson came in 1970, Orr only won one in 74-75, the year he lost the Hart to Clark.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Short answer yes. Long answer.............let's look at it

The three Harts Orr won are not very controversial. No doubt he's the winner in 1970 and 1972. In 1971 Esposito might have a case (he won the Pearson that year) since he scored an unheard of 76 goals but Orr had over 100 assists which was impossible at the time too. So most of us can admit he earned his Harts.

So let's look at the rest:

1967 - No way
1968 - too much missed time
1969 - Esposito had too heavy of a year and Orr wasn't "Orr" yet
1973 - Missed a little more time than usual and to be honest it could have easily gone to Esposito. Clarke wins it.
1974 - Were the voters rewarding Esposito? It isn't a crime that he won it, however, Orr was always season in season out the best player in the NHL
1975 - I have a hard time believing that if a defenseman today lead the NHL in scoring that anything else that a player did would trump it. In 1975 maybe it was old hat for Orr to score that many points and the voters chose Clarke instead since this was at the peak of the Broad Street Bullies and he led his team to 1st overall.

If I were doing the picking, I'd have said that he could have won another one in either 1974 or 1975.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I would give Orr the award in both 1974 and 1975. It would have been his in 1973 too had he played the full season. Bobby Orr was basically steve nash with defense, giving esposito the award is like taking steve nash's mvps and handing it to amare stoudemire.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00