Proposal: Should NHL have a Canadian Division?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Right now we are at the lowest point in the Canadian Cup drought. Something needs to be done. I realize the pitfalls that would come with putting all the Canadian teams in one division.

But there have been situations like this in the past.

From 1969-93, two Eastern Time teams, the Atlanta Braves and Cincinnati Reds, shared the NL West with three teams from California. This was because in 1969, the Cubs and Cardinals lobbied for a more lucrative schedule by being placed in the NL East in lieu of those two so they could have a more lucrative schedule with more games against the Mets and Phillies.

As well, Atlanta's NFL team, the Falcons, were saddled with at least one California team as a division rival every year in the NFL Coastal and later NFC West from 1967-2001 - they had to play in San Francisco against the 49ers every year and in Los Angeles against the Rams every year through 1994.

The Arizona Cardinals likewise remained in the NFC East from 1988-2001 despite the fact that they had to make three east coast trips (NYC, Philly, DC) every year and the fact they were far closer to the west coast.

The Baltimore Colts, despite obviously being an East coast team, were in the NFL's Western Conference from 1953-69.

So, what is being proposed, a Canadian Division in the NHL, is not unlike what happened in these sports leagues in the past. The Canadian teams are the heart of the NHL, as the league was originally Canada-only and "National" in the league's name originally referred to Canada. The Canadian fans want to see the Canadian Cup drought end any way it can.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
So, what is being proposed, a Canadian Division in the NHL, is not unlike what happened in these sports leagues in the past. The Canadian teams are the heart of the NHL, as the league was originally Canada-only and "National" in the league's name originally referred to Canada. The Canadian fans want to see the Canadian Cup drought end any way it can.

I guess it's down to personal differences, but I disagree. As a Canadian, I couldn't care less if the Cup goes to an American team. It should go to the best NHL team as determined by the playoffs, whether it's from Canada or the US.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->