Proposal: Should NHL have a Canadian Division?

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Why does it matter? No one would propose realignment if NYR, Chicago, Detroit and the other financially successful US teams missed the playoffs.

DreamTheatre

Jul 7, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
It will never happen, but I would love it. Not because Canadian teams would always be in the playoffs, but because Canadian teams would get to play each other more often.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Well, it's that time of year again. Spring is in the air, and playoffs are right around the corner. Unfortunately, there are no Canadian teams in the playoffs to route for and it will probably remain that way next season. That got me thinking a little bit...why not have a Canadian Division which guarantees that at least a couple of Canadian teams will be in the playoffs each year? I think it could be beneficial for Canadian hockey fans and the NHL. Thoughts?

don't like it. reminds me of the 1967 expansion when the blues ended up in the finals despite not having a competitive enough team.

if the Canadian teams are not good enough, too bad so sad.
shouldn't pander to the Canadian fan base.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
While the CDN-league proposal sounds nuts to some, we should remember a couple of things. There are 24 million hockey fans in the U.S. and 18.5 million in Canada. Going by fan numbers alone, we have enough to support at least 10 (maybe 12-14) separate teams. TV revenues are proportional: 40% of NHL TV revenue comes from Canada.

Bluntly, the loss of Canadian fan revenue from the U.S league would financially decimate 7-8 American franchises, they'd have way less to pay players and the salary caps. Florida teams, Nashville, Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc. So it's not so obvious that a US league would get all the best players.

Canadian fans are basically subsidizing the N.H.L and their teams haven't won a cup since Bettman came in (1993). When does it become rational just to call it quits, have two leagues and an end-of-year North American Championship game? Another 10, 20 years of statistically improbable futility?

Numbers: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think we will see Canadian Division(s) when we expand. One more Canadian team and one more American team makes 8 Canadian teams in a 32 team league. Conferences will stay the same, but they'll split each conference into 4 divisions with each conference having one Canadian division.

Game play would be 2 games against every team in the league, 3 games within conference and 4-5 games within division or simply 4 games with 2 additional "rival" games. Or the league could go back to the proper number of games (80) and have a perfectly balanced schedule (doubtful, I know).

The only issues with it, would be potential additional travel for Winnipeg and the 3 time zones in the one division. But really it is only an impact of 3 -5 games compared to the current schedule as they already play the other Canadian teams 3 times and in exchange they'd play an extra 5 within Canada at the expense of games vs. Minne, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Colorado, Dallas, which all things considered is pretty close to the same thing.

Playoffs are top 2 teams from each division, but the two lowest ranked 2nd place teams can be replaced by teams with a better record within the conference. 2nd round seeding would be based on overall records.

This guarantees at least 2 Canadian teams every playoff season, likely results with 4 in most seasons, but still gives a minute chance at 6-8 Canadian teams making it if everyone was in the top 8 of each conference.

Last edited:

EakinsMVP

Apr 23, 2015
Would be hilarious that it would be more beneficial to finish 2nd-3rd in the division. Finishing first would match you up against a wild card, and be the underdog with home ice advantage lol.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You guarantee Canadian teams will be in the playoffs but you also limit how many and also eliminate the possibility of a Canadian final.

To be honest though a Canadian final would probably be the NHL's nightmare scenario, lol and the Canadian teams would then be blamed for poor ratings in the US.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
While the CDN-league proposal sounds nuts to some, we should remember a couple of things. There are 24 million hockey fans in the U.S. and 18.5 million in Canada. Going by fan numbers alone, we have enough to support at least 10 (maybe 12-14) separate teams. TV revenues are proportional: 40% of NHL TV revenue comes from Canada.

Bluntly, the loss of Canadian fan revenue from the U.S league would financially decimate 7-8 American franchises, they'd have way less to pay players and the salary caps. Florida teams, Nashville, Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc. So it's not so obvious that a US league would get all the best players.

Canadian fans are basically subsidizing the N.H.L and their teams haven't won a cup since Bettman came in (1993). When does it become rational just to call it quits, have two leagues and an end-of-year North American Championship game? Another 10, 20 years of statistically improbable futility?

Numbers: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/

Yeah I'm not even sure if that number tells the full story either as I'd imagine the average NHL fan in Canada is more hardcore than the average hockey fan in the US. The 18.5 million in Canada probably spend more on the NHL than the average US fan. Now imagine if Canada actually had a good team, lol.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No, jet lag affects you more by going across time zones. A 3 hour flight our east is way harder on the body and mind than a 3 hour flight down south. Road trips would be hell.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The reactionary part of me, a big part, haha, loves this post.

For years I've been on the edge of just wanting a different product than the NHL. Something more like a World League and with a Canadian division competing within that world league product. NHL has become too revenue orientated and high brow priced for my liking. With as you say Canadian clubs financing this to no real benefit. We spend the most, to get the worst teams. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No, jet lag affects you more by going across time zones. A 3 hour flight our east is way harder on the body and mind than a 3 hour flight down south. Road trips would be hell.

Really? I only get jetlag from intercontinental flights. Going across several time zones. Going across a couple does literally nothing to me. Biggest thing is just dealing with airports and getting in and out which I just hate as a rule.

As long as a flight is direct and not stopping (damned Calgary connecting flights) no problem.

To me, being from Canada the harder adaptation is going from warm to cold climates and even vice versa. Kind of freaks my body out. Plus what do you wear? Seems silly to bring a coat/toque to Florida but not so much if you're travelling to and from Edmonton in January..

Theres no right way to travel to and from Edmonton to warmer climes.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Not a good idea. Contemporary wild card system is bad too. My idea:

1. The amount of teams 32
2. The amount of divisions 4
3. No conferences. Those who win their division finals will play for SC
4. All teams qualified for playoffs

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
NHL has become too revenue orientated and high brow priced for my liking. With as you say Canadian clubs financing this to no real benefit. We spend the most, to get the worst teams. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Exactly. What soccer has figured out is that people love trophies... the more "championships" you can give away and play for, the higher fan interest and revenue. NHL wants to grow but remains fixated on the Stanley Cup. But imagine:

1. Canadian league
2. U.S League
3. KHL (?)
4. Scandinavian league

With a 16-team Champions-league style thing in the early summer featuring at least two teams from each league. Yeah, some N.A. team might win it easily. Who cares? Would be epic. Sadly, probably never going to happen. :(

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly. What soccer has figured out is that people love trophies... the more "championships" you can give away and play for, the higher fan interest and revenue. NHL wants to grow but remains fixated on the Stanley Cup. But imagine:

1. Canadian league
2. U.S League
3. KHL (?)
4. Scandinavian league

With a 16-team Champions-league style thing in the early summer featuring at least two teams from each league. Yeah, some N.A. team might win it easily. Who cares? Would be epic. Sadly, probably never going to happen. :(
One of two things happens. If only Canadians can play in Canada then this league never goes. If you don't have to be born in the Country to be apart of it then we are going to be left with crappy teams in Canada.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
One of two things happens. If only Canadians can play in Canada then this league never goes. If you don't have to be born in the Country to be apart of it then we are going to be left with crappy teams in Canada.

Well, the Canadian team performance since 1993 has been extremely poor overall, and this year is an exclamation point on that. We have no playoff teams and 5 out of the bottom 6... I don't see how it could get much worse. Moreover, I don't think you're right: fan revenue between the two countries is nearly equal, we'd be able to pay players just as much up here as the U.S. could.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

1. Canadian league
2. U.S League
3. KHL (?)
4. Scandinavian league
What an interesting idea, it's really exciting to think about. I think you are exactly right that the NHL is too obsessed on the Stanley Cup. That made sense in 1965 or even 1980, but nowadays...?

Look at the MLB: Everyone gets excited about winning the Pennant. Then, everyone gets excited about winning the ALCS and the NLCS. And of course everyone gets excited about the World Series. All these things count for a lot in the currency of the MLB. In hockey, nobody gives a crap about the President's Trophy. Nobody gives a crap about the Conference Championship.

The 4 Leagues you mention would indeed be exciting as hell. Each intra-League could have its own championship. Then, the final playoff could result in a Stanley Cup (or something) winner.

By the way, just for interest's sake:

1968 to 1991 (24 seasons):
Canadian Team vs. Canadian Team Finals = 2
Canadian Team vs. USA Team Finals = 15
US Team vs. US Team Finals = 7

1992 to 2016 (25 seasons):
Canadian Team vs. Canadian Team Finals = 0
Canadian Team vs. USA Team Finals = 6
US Team vs. US Team Finals = 18

So, not trending in a good direction from the Canadian franchise perspective.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
1968 to 1991 (24 seasons):
Canadian Team vs. Canadian Team Finals = 2
Canadian Team vs. USA Team Finals = 15
US Team vs. US Team Finals = 7

1992 to 2016 (25 seasons):
Canadian Team vs. Canadian Team Finals = 0
Canadian Team vs. USA Team Finals = 6
US Team vs. US Team Finals = 18

So, not trending in a good direction from the Canadian franchise perspective.

Yeah, the cup finals are just the beginning of the story, too... general playoff futility since 1993. I mention this to Canadian fans and they start rattling off the 5 cup final appearances (VAN, CGY, EDM, OTT, VAN), not noticing that statistically there should have been at least 7, and not taking into account the other playoff rounds, where things are equally bad. All of this in a context where Canada has subsidized three cup winners (Carolina, TB and Anaheim were all losing-$ franchises when they won).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well, the Canadian team performance since 1993 has been extremely poor overall, and this year is an exclamation point on that. We have no playoff teams and 5 out of the bottom 6... I don't see how it could get much worse. Moreover, I don't think you're right: fan revenue between the two countries is nearly equal, we'd be able to pay players just as much up here as the U.S. could.

Yes, but Canada isn't a preferred place for most.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I cant imagine the TV ratings are that good right now, so the NHL likely is thinking of it when no Canadian teams make the playoffs.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Well, it's that time of year again. Spring is in the air, and playoffs are right around the corner. Unfortunately, there are no Canadian teams in the playoffs to route for and it will probably remain that way next season. That got me thinking a little bit...why not have a Canadian Division which guarantees that at least a couple of Canadian teams will be in the playoffs each year? I think it could be beneficial for Canadian hockey fans and the NHL. Thoughts?

Absolutely not. No handouts, nor pity divisions please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad