Proposal: Should NHL have a Canadian Division?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Well, it's that time of year again. Spring is in the air, and playoffs are right around the corner. Unfortunately, there are no Canadian teams in the playoffs to route for and it will probably remain that way next season. That got me thinking a little bit...why not have a Canadian Division which guarantees that at least a couple of Canadian teams will be in the playoffs each year? I think it could be beneficial for Canadian hockey fans and the NHL. Thoughts?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You guarantee Canadian teams will be in the playoffs but you also limit how many and also eliminate the possibility of a Canadian final.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You spelled relegation wrong.

Sad but true.

WHA had a Canadian division for awhile. TBH I didn't care much for it but mostly due to other than Winnipeg most of the Canadian clubs not being worth watching.

Would be the same in the NHL. Having an all Canadian division would just mean the NHL product is severely watered down here and people would be paying the most to see the worst hockey clubs in the league. Would also falsely inflate a couple of these clubs to playoffs instead of them having to earn it.

I would want no part of this plan. It would make it truly a two tiered league.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
You guarantee Canadian teams will be in the playoffs but you also limit how many and also eliminate the possibility of a Canadian final.

Well I believe it allows 3 Canadian teams to make the playoffs every season. That's 3 guaranteed spots plus there are 2 wild card spots up for grabs, so there could be up to 5 Canadian teams in the playoffs. And we will probably never see a Canadian final so that doesn't bother me

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
too much travel. These regional divisons, and division playoffs are the way to go.

Besides, what does your solution do? You would have Canadian teams in the playoffs, but this would be the worst division in the history of sports. The hockey would not be up to playoff standards and they would get bounced by any outside team.

I much prefer teams get in on merit. Usually there are a few Canadian teams in that. Just not this year.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
too much travel. These regional divisons, and division playoffs are the way to go.

I looked at the travel times and I don't think it would be that much more travel if they align the games properly
Edmonton to LA is 3H 30 min and Edmonton to TOR is 3H 40 min

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I looked at the travel times and I don't think it would be that much more travel if they align the games properly

one thing I forgot to mention is time zones. If you recall, this whole new divisional format is based on time zones. That makes TV much easier to work out. Of course, a Canadian division would be the exact wrong thing if this is the philosophy.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'd rather have a 3 tiered system like soccer. To solve the travel problem have teams play themselves twice on long road trips.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

It's just a pipe dream and would never happen, but....

Montreal and Ottawa are further flights than YEG-LAX. As someone else mentioned time zones are a big deal too. Both in terms of travel and in terms of viewing audience.

Toronto and Montreal basically call the shots. They wouldn't want multiple games in earlier time zones for teams in their division.

I don't really care too much about no Canadian teams being in the playoffs.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
This is like changing the lottery rules again because the oilers won McDavid.

So what if a Canadian team isn't in the playoffs.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'd love to see a Canadian division. All those easy games against the terribly managed Maple leafs, Jets, Canucks, Sens, and Canadians? Sign me up.

It would be the South East division all over again. Whoever can suck the least in the regular seasonm, gets the reward of a first round exit in the playoffs.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
No leave it the way it is, and allow Canadian teams to vacuum up some draft picks for a while.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yes, absolutely. I think it's a win-win situation for everyone involved.

There are, what?, 7 Canadian teams now? So, that's perfect -- put all 7 into one division.

Since the new (old) playoff format is for inter-divisional play first, it guarantees a couple of rounds of Canadian teams in the playoffs, which guarantees huge fan satisfaction in Canada and consistent revenue in the most reliable market.

It also increases the chance (no certainty, of course) of a regular Canadian vs. US-team in the Final, which would also generate a lot of interest.

I also think the NHL would be happy with no Canadian teams playing US-based teams in the first couple of playoff rounds -- it's easier for them to sell Arizona vs. L.A. than Arizona vs. Winnipeg, a city Arizona-people have never heard of.

Travel in the Canadian division? No problem for the western cities and Winnipeg. Van, Edmonton, and Calgary already have the worst possible travel in the League, so it's no worse and probably easier since they don't have to deal with border-crossing as much and can just hop on and off domestic flights.

The only hitch in this plan might be the travel schedule for Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa. I can see where they might reject it on the basis of their actually having to travel as much as the western teams, something they've never done. But I still think most players and nearly all fans of those teams would rather watch them play against Vancouver and Calgary than watch them play against Buffalo, Tampa, and Florida. Montreal would have fewer games against Detroit and Boston, which might seem slightly negative as well.

But basically, I think it would be brilliant! Bring it on!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nope. Really don't want to be rushing home to watch games at 5 more than I have to. Then for the Eastern teams you start alienating younger fans who are in bed before games start.

The other thing for me is I could really careless if Canadian teams make it. If the Oilers aren't in I don't cheer for a Canadian team just because. There is a ton of Canadian players that are playing all across the league, doesn't make them less of a Canadian if they are playing on TB or DAL or whoever.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'd love to see a Canadian division. All those easy games against the terribly managed Maple leafs, Jets, Canucks, Sens, and Canadians? Sign me up.

It would be the South East division all over again. Whoever can suck the least in the regular seasonm, gets the reward of a first round exit in the playoffs.

says an Oilers fan :laugh:

I think its fine the way it is... EDM, CGY and VAN are all in the same Div ..too bad they are stuck with Cali teams but its up to them to get atleast one Canadian team out of the basement.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
I heard somewhere that this is the first time since 1970 that there have been no Canadian teams in the playoffs and in 1970 there were only Montreal and Toronto anyway. An all Canadian division solves a problem that does not exist, this year is an anomaly.

The Canadian teams are already concentrated in two divisions which should achieve most of the benefit of this proposal.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
NO! You need to earn it.

We've had a league that has actively remodeled itself to cater to (largely) Canadian teams by:
1) introducing a salary cap
2) introducing huge RFA compensation for lost players
3) transfer payments from richer clubs (NYR, Chi, Philly, Boston, MTL, TOR to poorer ones: EDM, Cal, WPG, Phx)
4) expanding into US markets (yes some failed) having net increase on the total revenue pool, of which Canadian teams benefit
5) US TV rights, see point 4 above

Our Canadian teams, not the least of which, our own Oilers have NO EXCUSE to all be out of the playoffs other than they happen to suck right now.

Having a Canadian division so that a few of our fanbases can feel good about themselves is a crybaby's solution.

Let's MAN UP and get better!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad