Should Marchand be suspended?

How many games would you suspend him for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
That already is the case? And should be. A players past history should absolutely 100% be a factor when deciding to punish someone. If Bergy two hand slashes somebody, you give him the benefit of the doubt. If he does 4 dirty things in one single game, you say "what the hell Patrice?" When it's Marchand, and he does this game in and game out, suspension should absolutely be considered. How else do you get him to change his ways BEFORE he ends a career?

Before I answer this, I have a question for you.

Say that Marchand does something that for a player with no discipline history would be either a fine or maximum 1 game suspension (say a spear or nut shot, for example)... Then say that 1 year later he does again the exact same thing... Then say that again 2 years later he does again the same thing... Then say that 2 years later he does the same thing again... What would be the discipline that you would deem appropriate for instance #1, #2, #3 and #4?

PS: Marchand, for the situations this thread was created, didn't do anything to warrant any discipline.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Really stretching on these.
Haters gonna hate
Funny the votes though with the majority saying 0 games then the haters saying 5+ and not much in the middle.
Can’t wait till Thursday.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Before I answer this, I have a question for you.

Say that Marchand does something that for a player with no discipline history would be either a fine or maximum 1 game suspension (say a spear or nut shot, for example)... Then say that 1 year later he does again the exact same thing... Then say that again 2 years later he does again the same thing... Then say that 2 years later he does the same thing again... What would be the discipline that you would deem appropriate for instance #1, #2, #3 and #4?

PS: Marchand, for the situations this thread was created, didn't do anything to warrant any discipline.

Believe the DOPS uses 18 months as a "repeat offender" designation

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
You don't see anything wrong with isolating every play and judging them as if they happened in a vacuum? You don't think it should matter if there is a disturbing trend where a player does 4 dirty things in one game alone, and then has games like that on a regular basis?

There should be a compounding effect at work here. The fact that Marchand is still receiving 1-2 game suspensions despite being suspended 6 times and fined on 3 other occasions is a massive joke and a massive failure by the NHL department of player safety to demonstrate that they are serious about protecting players.

Look, I dislike Marchand and the Bruins as much as anybody :p
But when you start saying you need to evaluate one incident based on the past, where does it stops : period, game, week, month, year, years?
If the refs called it the way I did, I'm sure there wouldn't be a thread today. Even more if the slash, which was the worst imo, got suspended or penalized for 5+game (like I said depends on what happened before)... slashes like this happen every now and than... depends of the context imo

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Believe the DOPS uses 18 months as a "repeat offender" designation

the repeat offender designation doesn't have anything to do with suspension length. It just determines salary forfeiture amounts as part of the CBA. A players entire history is used to determine suspension lengths.

It's worth noting, however that history does not affect the decision on determining if a player *should* be suspended... its just used as a contributing factor in determining length

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Really stretching on these.
Haters gonna hate
Funny the votes though with the majority saying 0 games then the haters saying 5+ and not much in the middle.
Can’t wait till Thursday.

Maybe you could argue on the slash for a suspension. Just by posting all the other plays undermines OPs argument though. The others aren't even close to being suspension worthy. If this was anyone else and they posted the other three incidents hed be laughed off the board.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Just curious. I honestly don’t know. Is Marchand responsible for any predatory headshots? Or is more of an opportunist? I saw the Duclair hit and it seems to me Duclair caught his skate in a rut. And the other hits I’ve seen (certainly not every questionable one) have been dirty but inconsequential. I mean, he’s certainly a prick on the ice. But I haven’t seen him put other players at risk or in serious danger. I assume I’m wrong but just want to know for sure as he’s become a pretty big topic.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Nothing he did was likely suspendable. Several possible "intent" to injure or at least doing things that can have significant consequence. That said, it boggles my mind on the stick swing that he wouldn't be turfed from the game. No discipline outside that but if that swing connects, there's a pretty high chance for injury unless equipment saves the day. Honestly though, I would have kicked him out of the game for that.

Mar 26, 2010
Marchand is the dirtiest rat that plays in the NHL, bar none. He did not only butt end Anderson here, but he also 2 hand swung his stick like a baseball bat at Morgan Rielly in the same game. One day someone is going to take his head clean off his shoulders.

I will laugh if Toronto comes back to beat Boston in this series now! If Toronto wins the next game and ties this series at two, don’t second-guess it.

Reactions: marty111 and Lilou

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Just curious. I honestly don’t know. Is Marchand responsible for any predatory headshots? Or is more of an opportunist? I saw the Duclair hit and it seems to me Duclair caught his skate in a rut. And the other hits I’ve seen (certainly not every questionable one) have been dirty but inconsequential. I mean, he’s certainly a prick on the ice. But I haven’t seen him put other players at risk or in serious danger. I assume I’m wrong but just want to know for sure as he’s become a pretty big topic.
seems more like he takes shots where he thinks he'll get away with them. Doesn't usually take runs like Kadri did to get suspended because those are obvious and are met with consequences, but he has no issue trying to annoy/injure players where he thinks he'll get away with it. I'd agree that most of Marchand's antics are not major injury risks because he's trying to sneak them in where refs won't see

in this thread, the one that was probably the most dangerous was the one on Johnsson and I'm sure that he intended to go into that skates-up but impossible to prove so it's hard to punish

he's good at the rat role

Reactions: egelband

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Yeah Kadri totally wasn't trying to play edgy and wound up concussing someone in game 1. Just his "hot head" unlike rat dirty Marchand hisss.

You guys are unbelievable.

After reading this thread you are full of shit if you claim Bruins fans wouldn't call that Kadri hit clean if it was Marchand doing it to Kapanen.

Reactions: Lilou

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Marchand is amazing. Most players with a reputation, the refs call tighter. Not Marchand. Dude can do whatever he wants out there and the refs are just like "hmm. This is not the droid we're looking for."

Reactions: Lilou

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Marchand is amazing. Most players with a reputation, the refs call tighter. Not Marchand. Dude can do whatever he wants out there and the refs are just like "hmm. This is not the droid we're looking for."

Dumb post. Why don't you watch him for 82 games and see how much of a joke your post is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad