Olympics: Should Japan get a wild card?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
For the growth of hockey, would it not be a exotic idea to invite Japan? Put them in the China group and then we will have a epic China vs Japan game.

Japan is quite funny to watch actually. Small speedy players.

Trying to put together a best possible Japan:

Makuru Furuhashi - Shogo Nakajima - Kenta Tagai
Seiji Takahashi - Yuto Osawa - Yuta Suziki
Kohei Sato - Yuki Miura - Yushiroh Hirano (all 3 play in NCAA/ECHL)
Yu Sato - Kenta Isogai - Yusako Ando (all players from USHL)

Ryo Hashimoto - Takafumi Yamashita
Shinya Yanadori - Simon Denis
Hiroto Sato - Yusei Otsu

Yutaka Fukufuji
Shun Furukawa
Mitsuaki Inoue

Someone who knows more than me about Japan NT, please correct me.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
No? Wonky enough with a 30+ ranked host. We had South Korea last time as a host too, and Italy... who never makes it either... will be hosting in 2026. Possibly Japan again in 2030, or even Spain.

Also the women's tournament will feature a China vs Japan game.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No? Wonky enough with a 30+ ranked host. We had South Korea last time as a host too, and Italy... who never makes it either... will be hosting in 2026. Possibly Japan again in 2030, or even Spain.

Also the women's tournament will feature a China vs Japan game.

Im not saying Japan is super good or anything but they are decent.

Spain on the other hand...god help them (if they get in). Spain is ten times worse than China, Japan, Italy

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It is once in a lifetime thing. Regular China team is at the same level as Spain

yep and thats their team in olympics. spain will never be able to put up a roster like that. if spain gets to host 2030, they are gonna lose 30-0 in every game.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
yep and thats their team in olympics. spain will never be able to put up a roster like that. if spain gets to host 2030, they are gonna lose 30-0 in every game.
Yes, or they can put a KHL team))

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Are you proposing that Japan be at this Olympics? Or the 2026 one?
Either way I don't get it, why are we going out of our way to arbitrarily invite random teams to the Olympics.
Japan can play China in exhibition games, or in the challenge cup of Asia. No need to invite a team to the Olympics who hasn't earned it

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
For the growth of hockey, would it not be a exotic idea to invite Japan? Put them in the China group and then we will have a epic China vs Japan game.

Japan is quite funny to watch actually. Small speedy players.

Trying to put together a best possible Japan:

Makuru Furuhashi - Shogo Nakajima - Kenta Tagai
Seiji Takahashi - Yuto Osawa - Yuta Suziki
Kohei Sato - Yuki Miura - Yushiroh Hirano (all 3 play in NCAA/ECHL)
Yu Sato - Kenta Isogai - Yusako Ando (all players from USHL)

Ryo Hashimoto - Takafumi Yamashita
Shinya Yanadori - Simon Denis
Hiroto Sato - Yusei Otsu

Yutaka Fukufuji
Shun Furukawa
Mitsuaki Inoue

Someone who knows more than me about Japan NT, please correct me.
That didn't work at world championships. Fortunately, the wildcard was canceled at that time. And why Japan? Hasn't South Korea been No. 1 in Asia for a few years?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
This exact idea existed in the World Championships from 1998 to 2004: a Far East Qualifier was played every year and the winner automatically played in the top division. Not surprisingly, Japan won every year, and finished last in the top division every year. As it didn't do anything to develop the sport in Asia, the idea was dropped.

Reactions: ellja3

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In 2019 WC Spain - China 5-3.

And historically China actually has a winning record, but the last ten years Spain has won all four games that they have played, 21:4 in total goals. It's not like Spanish hockey has been dramatically improving either, but China is such a low bar even for these weaker European teams.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
South Korea has been the best team in Asia for some time and they lost in the 2018 Worlds 0-10 to Canada (highlights here) that didn't have nowhere near their near best team. The gap is massive and already for Kunlun- China we can only hope they can keep the scores somewhat respectable.

Also, placing a team that would be equal to Jamaican bob-sledge team to lose their games by terrible margins wouldn't promote hockey in Japan. In Asia they're not so keen on public humiliation and I doubt the Japanese public would enjoy watching their national team get thrashed in sport they are not even into.

Reactions: Pardus

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There is actually decent amount of players who are good who has japanese roots.

Stuart Percy, Kailer Yamamoto, Dylan Sikora, Tyler Sikora, Kole Sherwood, Kiefer Sherwood, Nick Suziki, Ryan Suziki, Jonathan Matsumoto etc
Too bad we have so few patriots around these days. I would take the years needed to get Japanese pass and play in Asian League if i where any
of them. Its not a horrible league by any means. And when they are done they can move on to bigger leagues. Its not like any of them will play for Canada and USA anyways.

These guys together with the players Japan have in NCAA/USHL/EHCL would actually put Japan on the level of Norway/France etc.

Nuggets

Feb 12, 2014
Canada
Yamamoto wouldn't be eligible because he has represented USA at the U17, U18, U20 and Hlinka Gretzky tournaments.

Percy represented Canada at the WHC-17 in 09-10 so not sure if he would be eligible.

Nick Suzuki has represented Canada at the U18, U20 and Hlinka Gretzky. Ryan Suzuki has represented Canada at the U17, U18, U20 and Hlinka Gretzky.

Matsumoto has represented Canada on the international stage in 2016-17 & 2017-18.

The Sikura brothers, Sherwood brothers, and Keanu Yamamoto would be eligible for Japan without question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad