Should Gretky have been on the shootout in '98? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spungo*

monster_bertuzzi said:
How many goals did Wayne score that year? 9?

Uhh, try 23. And he finished third in the league in scoring that year. What a washed up has been, eh? Not to mention he outplayed pretty much everybody on that Olympic team.

davenash

Aug 2, 2005
Rimouski, PQ
He should have been in the shootout because, uh, I don't know...

Oh...Maybe because he's the greatest goal scorer of all time???

lemieux32*

Did anyone ever think that maybe Gretzky said no? He has said many times that he was terrible on breakaways, so perhaps when the time came he said "no thanks." If someone has a link saying otherwise fine, but I think this has to be taken into account and as a coach you never put a player in a position he is uncfortable with if you can help it.

Ogopogo*

lemieux32 said:
Did anyone ever think that maybe Gretzky said no? He has said many times that he was terrible on breakaways, so perhaps when the time came he said "no thanks." If someone has a link saying otherwise fine, but I think this has to be taken into account and as a coach you never put a player in a position he is uncfortable with if you can help it.

No old enough to have seen the shootout in '98, are you?

lemieux32*

Ogopogo said:
No old enough to have seen the shootout in '98, are you?

Wow, that's an intelligent response. Are you sure you're not spungo?
:shakehead

Ogopogo*

lemieux32 said:
Wow, that's an intelligent response. Are you sure you're not spungo?
:shakehead

Well, if you had seen Gretzky on the bench during and after the shootout then heard the interview with Gretzky after the shootout, you would know that he was pissed that he was not selected.

I am guessing you didn't see it if you thought Gretzky didn't want to shoot. The only reason you wouldn't have seen it is that you are too young.

Make sense?

lemieux32*

Ogopogo said:
Well, if you had seen Gretzky on the bench during and after the shootout then heard the interview with Gretzky after the shootout, you would know that he was pissed that he was not selected.

I am guessing you didn't see it if you thought Gretzky didn't want to shoot. The only reason you wouldn't have seen it is that you are too young.

Make sense?

So everyone in the world had the time and ability to watch that game and did so? Does that make sense?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
lemieux32 said:
So everyone in the world had the time and ability to watch that game and did so? Does that make sense?

Makes sense if you were Canadian and are a big enough hockey fan to post on this board. But you are American but still you would think that you would watch the gold medal hockey game from the Olympics, but then you may not have seen the interview if it wasn't on American TV. Was it on American TV? Anyone remember?

lemieux32*

cup2006sensrule said:
Makes sense if you were Canadian and are a big enough hockey fan to post on this board. But you are American but still you would think that you would watch the gold medal hockey game from the Olympics, but then you may not have seen the interview if it wasn't on American TV. Was it on American TV? Anyone remember?

Didn't get to see the game, at the time I was playing hockey in college and I do believe we were either in a hotel or on a bus. I guess Ogopogo believes the world does everything he does.

Ogopogo*

lemieux32 said:
Didn't get to see the game, at the time I was playing hockey in college and I do believe we were either in a hotel or on a bus. I guess Ogopogo believes the world does everything he does.

Perhaps you have just learned why you should quit talking out your a_ss on topics you know knothing about?

lemieux32*

Ogopogo said:
Perhaps you have just learned why you should quit talking out your a_ss on topics you know knothing about?

Who made you the King A-hole? You should take a page out of Cup2006sensrule's book and learn to have adult discussions instead of acting like a little child with no self-esteem.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
cup2006sensrule said:
Did Canada play in the Gold Medal game in that Olympics? :dunno: ;)

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
lemieux32 said:

Crawford made his selection on who goes out for a shootout before the game even started, so he couldn't have even gone with who had the hot hands that night, Pretty sure those were the rules at the time.

But still, why the hell would he pick Ray Bourque over Gretzky??? :shakehead

chooch*

Ogopogo said:

Youre darn right he was pissing on the bench!

Never scoring many goals after the age of 27 will do that to ya.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
ya, he was slow. he was old,

but you konw what, he had to be one of the top 5 players on the team in terms of "knowing what to do on a shootout" he didn't need to be fast.

i am not a gretzky love but i think he should had been there.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:
Youre darn right he was pissing on the bench!

Never scoring many goals after the age of 27 will do that to ya.

Then Mario must be wearing diapers this year,

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gretzky would have been a better selection than Bouque.

But Yzerman would have been a better selection than Gretzky, and why he was left off has always been more mystifying to me than the Gretzky omission. Yzerman was a better player, better scorer, and better on breakaways than Gretzky at that point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad