Should Germany Be Awarded Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
The whole "Olympic athletes from Russia" defeats the purpose if you don't actually ban the country from competing. Sure, on the list of medal counts it shows zero for Russia but in order for the country to actually feel it as a punishment, they should have actually said no Russians can compete. That way the nation as a whole feels the heat from those who competed and didn't cheat. Look at the curler who now has to give back the bronze... clearly lessons weren't entirely learned from this "ban."

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
This is taken out of proportion. People who use substances should be banned, but banning Russians in general is not justice. Up the game vs drugs, that is the way to go, not any half-ass lazy witch-hunt.

Reactions: ehhedler

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Yeah, then one single athlete bring the IOC to court, wins because it's objectively undefendable ban people that did nothing wrong just because their government may have been at fault, and IOC all of a sudden has very big female cat to peel (this was the translation of a common italian expression. I love translating things that makes no sense in other languages).

Simply no way they could stop clean athletes from participating without exposing themselves to every sort of problems

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
The whole "Olympic athletes from Russia" defeats the purpose if you don't actually ban the country from competing. Sure, on the list of medal counts it shows zero for Russia but in order for the country to actually feel it as a punishment, they should have actually said no Russians can compete. That way the nation as a whole feels the heat from those who competed and didn't cheat. Look at the curler who now has to give back the bronze... clearly lessons weren't entirely learned from this "ban."

Agree. "OAR" is the same damn thing as Russia being in the games as an official country. Changes nothing, I don't think.

Reactions: irunthepeg

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Were any Russian hockey players part of the doping scandal? If not I don't see the argument here. We want athletes to be clean, and that's what's happening in the situation.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Well. Then it's a good thing the NHL-players isn't there. Because the dark numbers in substance abuse from the NHL is a lot more than any of use would admit.

I can't see the hockey team being drugged beside maybe some use substances in the same way NHL-players do.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, then one single athlete bring the IOC to court, wins because it's objectively undefendable ban people that did nothing wrong just because their government may have been at fault, and IOC all of a sudden has very big female cat to peel (this was the translation of a common italian expression. I love translating things that makes no sense in other languages).

Simply no way they could stop clean athletes from participating without exposing themselves to every sort of problems
Isn't the IOC a private organization? What would be illegal about not letting some country participate?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There is no evidence Russian hockey players dope more than those in Canada, the U.S. etc.

I think Russia will win the gold medal and to be honest that's no biggie for Germany either as making the Final is already beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Isn't the IOC a private organization? What would be illegal about not letting some country participate?
I can see international courts having something to say if a clean person is denied access to something just on the base of his origin.
I may be wrong, but in 2018 I think that the last thing an organization that still formally push around the "de Coubertin's value" wants to do is being connected to discrimination.
Not the best PR you can think of

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I can see international courts having something to say if a clean person is denied access to something just on the base of his origin.
I may be wrong, but in 2018 I think that the last thing an organization that still formally push around the "de Coubertin's value" wants to do is being connected to discrimination.
Not the best PR you can think of
Courts don't care who's feelings get hurt or who's values aren't put into action. Courts are about law. I'm not sure it'd be illegal to bar anyone from the Olympics based on anything, but I could be wrong. Yeah, it'd be bad PR of course.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I love bombastic and inflammatory thread openers as much as the next guy.

Just kidding; no, I don't. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad