Should Burke be given one extra year to redeem himself?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
True, but I think 5th. worst is inept, and winning the lottery and moving the 1st. overall is a result of that ineptness.

A reward...just as coming in last and being rewarded with 1st overall is the exact same reward.

It's a reward just the same.

Chicago exploited the reward system to become a contender.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
True, but I think 5th. worst is inept, and winning the lottery and moving the 1st. overall is a result of that ineptness.

True, but the poster I quoted 1. implied they had multiple first overall picks and 2. also implied they had those multiple first overall picks because of a deliberate plan to finish last.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Honestly..

What are you doing here?

The man basically says " we are going to come in last for the next little while "

And you interpret this as what?

Really?

What do think this means? Because Roger seems to think this means something radically different than what I mean.

It might be because English is a foreign language, but this makes no sense.

:dunno:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
All I have to say is that Burke has to make a couple of significant changes once the lockout is lifted. I am not interested in seeing another non-playoff season out of this franchise.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's say if we get a short season and Toronto makes the Playoffs, however they end up lossing in the Eastern Conference Quater-Finals. Their 1st round pick would between 15th - 20th overall. So are some people going to be disappointed Burke selected a player who won't be as hyped compared to the players selected in the top 10, assuming he can't move up or does making the Playoffs make up for that? I can't remember where but I saw someone mention the reason Toronto drafted in the middle of the 1st round under JFJ post lockout is because they kept finishing 9th overall in Eastern Conference during the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons. To be more specific at the 2006 Draft they selected 13th overall (Jiri Tlusty) and they would have selected 13th overall again at the 2007 Draft if JFJ didn't trade the pick for Vesa Toskala.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Let's say if we get a short season and Toronto makes the Playoffs, however they end up lossing in the Eastern Conference Quater-Finals. Their 1st round pick would between 15th - 20th overall. So are some people going to be disappointed Burke selected a player who won't be as hyped compared to the players selected in the top 10, assuming he can't move up or does making the Playoffs make up for that? I can't remember where but I saw someone mention the reason Toronto drafted in the middle of the 1st round under JFJ post lockout is because they kept finishing 9th overall in Eastern Conference during the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons. To be more specific at the 2006 Draft they selected 13th overall (Jiri Tlusty) and they would have selected 13th overall again at the 2007 Draft if JFJ didn't trade the pick for Vesa Toskala.

if u really wanna puke look up who SJ drafted with that pick.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Technically it was Lars Eller, but San Jose moved up two spots to take Couture

I know I am personally losing sleep over Lars Eller and not Tyler Seguin every night.

These kind of things mean nothing:

to Brian Burke who doesn't believe in that pesky Pittsburgh model

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
444cdc2542a28533c179af6a41d4.jpeg

All I have to say is that Burke has to make a couple of significant changes once the lockout is lifted. I am not interested in seeing another non-playoff season out of this franchise.

I think with the season being a sprint, IF Burke's Leafs don't make the playoffs, he'll be gone. New Ownership has to show they respect Leaf Nation more than the previous ownership group, and proving that losing is not acceptable will be Burke's downfall, sound bites won't work going forward.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Have to agree...

I think with the season being a sprint, IF Burke's Leafs don't make the playoffs, he'll be gone. New Ownership has to show they respect Leaf Nation more than the previous ownership group, and proving that losing is not acceptable will be Burke's downfall, sound bites won't work going forward.[/QUOTEfs]

It is do or die time and this is pro sports.Make the playoffs or the rebuild begins.First ones out the door when the new GM arrives: Phaneuff and most likely Kessel.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
Burkie is tha man! he has set us up to be successful for years to come! The new CBA also plays into the way Burkie does business!!!

We would be stupid to let him go!!!

RogerRoeper*

I know I am personally losing sleep over Lars Eller and not Tyler Seguin every night.

These kind of things mean nothing:

to Brian Burke who doesn't believe in that pesky Pittsburgh model

You do know the "Pittsburgh Model" was not a plan it was the result of bankruptcy, right? They were trading their superstars for anything that made the league minimum because they couldn't pay their bills. The fact things in the end worked out so well for them (And it cannot be duplicated by anyone) doesn't change the fact they "Tanked" because they had no money.

So you expect the NHL's richest team to replicate that situation? You're comparing the NHL's poorest team to the richest.

Maybe if MLSE's owners all took hired Allen Iverson as their financial adviser it can happen...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So now there is no reason to worry about Burke as he has 2 seasons left.

Obviously, if he cannot build a playoffs team in 6 years he'll be gone.

16 teams make the playoffs so it isn't like were having him build a contending team from scratch.

He has traded away players like Kubina, White, Stajan, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Stempniak, Stralman, Mitchell, Stalberg, amongst others who are still NHL players so the myth that there were no assets in Toronto is easily disproven.

So 6 years to transition a 24th. place team to a 16th. place team should be a minimum standard.

RogerRoeper*

So now there is no reason to worry about Burke as he has 2 seasons left.

Obviously, if he cannot build a playoffs team in 6 years he'll be gone.

16 teams make the playoffs so it isn't like were having him build a contending team from scratch.

He has traded away players like Kubina, White, Stajan, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Stempniak, Stralman, Mitchell, Stalberg, amongst others who are still NHL players so the myth that there were no assets in Toronto is easily disproven.

So 6 years to transition a 24th. place team to a 16th. place team should be a minimum standard.

Come on, those aren't players that have a lot of value. It disproves nothing. He walked into the NHL's biggest mess.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
You surely have noticed that I put both realist and apologists in quotation marks and used the term so-called because they are only labels often used on this Board and as such have nothing to do with stating that the persons thus identified are in fact realistic or apologistic.

If you want to join the so-called "realists", feel free to do so. ;)

I apologized for this but it seems to have been removed by some thread clean up. Anyway, good point, my mistake.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Come on, those aren't players that have a lot of value. It disproves nothing. He walked into the NHL's biggest mess.
they're useful, but not valuable. like 95% of players in the league.

to ulf's point, can we all drop the excuses now? this is burke's team, no more pointing towards the past or hyping the future. he has to make the playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm a big believer in accountability and as such I believe Burke should earn his contract extension FIRST, by redeeming himself with successful on ice results, and not the other way around.

"Sense of entitlement" that the GM speaks out against often, should not exclude anyone that draws a regular paycheck from MLSE as an employee.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm a big believer in accountability and as such I believe Burke should earn his contract extension FIRST, by redeeming himself with successful on ice results, and not the other way around.

"Sense of entitlement" that the GM speaks out against often, should not exclude anyone that draws a regular paycheck from MLSE as an employee.

Exactly.

Unless you think he is inept, why would you not hold him to any standard?

If I were a Burke supporter I'd definitely feel confident that he could do the job and would not hesitate to say playoffs or bust.

Does anyone think Burke doesn't hold himself to some standard?

hockeyfanz*

And I thought everyone loved Phaneuf?

Why would you think that? I don't hate the guy.....but like hate....love is a strong word. I know many Leaf fans luke warm on Dion or flat out dislike him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad