Should Brust be Given a Shot?

Kitsy

Jul 15, 2011
29 years old so I imagine waivers may be an issue if they wanted to send him back down. Although, likely not a significant one. Irving hasn't shown his mettle in the AHL. What are your thoughts about giving the vet a shot for the back-up role?

jebus2

Jul 18, 2010
29 years old so I imagine waivers may be an issue if they wanted to send him back down. Although, likely not a significant one. Irving hasn't shown his mettle in the AHL. What are your thoughts about giving the vet a shot for the back-up role?

no point in wasted a contract on a backup goalie in a shortened season. i believe the flames are at 47/50 and begin is on a pto

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
no point in wasted a contract on a backup goalie in a shortened season. i believe the flames are at 47/50 and begin is on a pto

Someone has to play backup, period. If any of our goalies can outplay Karlsson he is very likely to be traded. Maybe even a compliance buyout. I don't think signing a goalie to a 1 year deal will be an issue contract space wise.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Having watched Brust play in the AHL, it's very unlikely he makes an effective goaltender in the NHL. He is out of position a lot, and NHL calibre shooters will bury him.

Kitsy

Jul 15, 2011
Having watched Brust play in the AHL, it's very unlikely he makes an effective goaltender in the NHL. He is out of position a lot, and NHL calibre shooters will bury him.

Interesting. I haven't watched too many Heat games but I would suspect this AHL season would be the best indicator of who can hang in the NHL (considering the NHL talent).

This is widely speculative of course, but I would hazard a guess people said that about Tim Thomas' play when he came up to the big club aa a seasoned vet.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Does that mean Irving is that much worse?

Tough to say. Irving hasn't been given a shot. Taylor played well last year and Ward has a history with Brust so he seems to go to those two guys. We'll have to see with Irving in camp.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Brust should get a look. Irving will be given every chance to show that he can claim that spot, I have to say I doubt he will. Taylor has not been that impressive over this 5-6 week stretch and Brust is now the #1.
Screw the politics. I don't care if a goalie is younger, or a first rounder. The best goalie should get the back up job, and Brust deserves that shot. I guess our Euro goalies will not be invited?
Did Karlsson play at all?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If this is true, won't they realize that at camp anyway? What do they lose by giving him a look?

Someone has to play net for the Heat with Irving in camp that only leaves Taylor and Brust if one gets called up so should the other than we have no goalie on the Heat. If both Irving and Karlson struggle then maybe we go down that road.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Someone has to play net for the Heat with Irving in camp that only leaves Taylor and Brust if one gets called up so should the other than we have no goalie on the Heat. If both Irving and Karlson struggle then maybe we go down that road.

Taylor stays, and call up joe blow from Utah.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
What about sending Karlsson down and bringing Brust to camp? :naughty:

That's fine by me but I would like to at least give Karlsson a look in camp. Brust plays an unorthodox method (much like Thomas) so he will most either thrive or fail miserably but I don't think giving him a look is a bad idea.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
True, I am pretty sure they know what they have in Karlsson though.

I don't know his first season and second season was night and day. His first season he looked like a competent backup but his second year he looked terrible I think they want to see which one he is this year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Backup position is Irving's to lose, assuming Feaster and co. were being honest when they said 1-way contracts don't guarantee a roster spot.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site

I am fine with Irving having a chance as the back-up. Happy infact. But what I don't get is how this follows the whole meritocracy thing.

I mean if Irving was always going to get a chance to be the back-up in Calgary over Taylor and Brust, then why aren't they playing Leland more?

It just doesn't make sense.

For what it's worth, I think Irving has the highest potential, but I am also okay with the meritocracy thing...it just seems like the organization is being hypocritical is all.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I am fine with Irving having a chance as the back-up. Happy infact. But what I don't get is how this follows the whole meritocracy thing.

I mean if Irving was always going to get a chance to be the back-up in Calgary over Taylor and Brust, then why aren't they playing Leland more?

It just doesn't make sense.

For what it's worth, I think Irving has the highest potential, but I am also okay with the meritocracy thing...it just seems like the organization is being hypocritical is all.

Troy Ward has his way about handling certain situations and so do Flames management. As much as we all want too believe that Jay Feaster/John Weisbrod control every aspect of this organization from top to bottom that simply is not true.

It's clear that Troy Ward favored Taylor and Brust over Irving due to what they had done in the past for him specifically, So I don't see the harm in Feaster favoring Irving for the very same reasons.

You could also make the argument that meritocracy only works if everyone is given a fair opportunity, and I am certain if you were to ask Irving he would agree with that.

The fact is Irving has proven he can hold his own at the NHL level, while the other two have not. Thus in the eyes of Flames management he has earned the opportunity to battle for the back up spot.

KiwiFlamesFan

Aug 11, 2006
New Zealand
What are the chances Brust gets a shot in camp next season? Never know what could happen in this short season and Karlsson/Irving could both possibly be gone given their respective circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->