Should Brandt Clarke win the Red Tilson

Should Brandt Clarke win the Red Tilson?

• Yes

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
- Averaging almost 2 pts/game, just about a 1/4 point more per game than the next best (Maggio)
- 1 goal off the lead league for defensemen while playing 26 fewer games
- Barrie has the best record in the OHL since the trade deadline (his return)
- Clarke’s pace over 68 games is 50 goals and 134 points head 🤯

The Colts have secured 3rd spot in the Eastern Conference and are sitting him tonight in Kingston and I would assume tomorrow night in Ottawa as well which will mean he will have only played 31 of 68 games so a case could be made that he wouldn’t have maintained the same pace throughout an entire season.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
- Averaging almost 2 pts/game, just about a 1/4 point more per game than the next best (Maggio)
- 1 goal off the lead league for defensemen while playing 26 fewer games
- Barrie has the best record in the OHL since the trade deadline (his return)
- Clarke’s pace over 68 games is 50 goals and 134 points head 🤯

The Colts have secured 3rd spot in the Eastern Conference and are sitting him tonight in Kingston and I would assume tomorrow night in Ottawa as well which will mean he will have only played 31 of 68 games so a case could be made that he wouldn’t have maintained the same pace throughout an entire season.
If points per game is the logic maybe have a look at Shane Wright's numbers since he came back. You can't base an award on someone only playing 30 games. Both returnees are playing great but not the best in the league by a long shot.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
To answer the question, no he shouldn't.

Great season for him in limited games. You need to play close to a full season to win a major award like MVP. Same reason Collin MacKenzie won't win OHL goalie of the year despite leading the league in GAA and save % and "on pace" for going 40-4-6. But he didn't play enough games

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
To answer the question, no he shouldn't.

Great season for him in limited games. You need to play close to a full season to win a major award like MVP. Same reason Collin MacKenzie won't win OHL goalie of the year despite leading the league in GAA and save % and "on pace" for going 40-4-6. But he didn't play enough games
That is not at all a good comparison.
Clarke has been the most impactful player in the league since returning.
MacKenzie was available all season for the top team in the regular season to relieve Donoso for the easier games. If there is an award for top BUG, it’s MacKenzie.

Reactions: yessir29292

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
For me gotta be either Maggio or Mintyikov. Wow has Clarke been impressive though, can't wait to see him live today.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For me gotta be either Maggio or Mintyikov. Wow has Clarke been impressive though, can't wait to see him live today.
Maggio should get the OA award. I do not think he has been that much better than Vierling, Cardwell, Morrison …that he could overcome a bias against awarding the Red Tilson to an OA though.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Maggio should get the OA award. I do not think he has been that much better than Vierling, Cardwell, Morrison …that he could overcome a bias against awarding the Red Tilson to an OA though.
Good point there is a bias but they're shouldn't be. If he's deemed the mvp he should get it. OA's should have the same chance at awards as everyone othereise get rid of them. On that note I think Hoefenmayer won best D as an OA a few years ago so why not mvp?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Good point there is a bias but they're shouldn't be. If he's deemed the mvp he should get it. OA's should have the same chance at awards as everyone othereise get rid of them. On that note I think Hoefenmayer won best D as an OA a few years ago so why not mvp?
It’s outstanding player, not MVP? Either way, I do think an OA would win the award if unquestionably the most outstanding player

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
It has to be Maggio in my opinion. He is the leading scorer in both points and goals on the best team in the west. Of his 53 goals, only 3 are with the man advantage. Just ridiculous numbers

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Only comparable games wise off the top of my head is when Thomas Chabot won it in the QMJHL in 2016/17 after only playing 35 games.

Has Clarke been the best defender? Without a doubt yes.

BUT Pavel Mintyukov is having one hell of a season also. If he was eliminated from the equation, then I think Clarke wins it, but with Mintyukov playing the full season and having a hell of a year also - Clarke falls short.

Reactions: dirty12

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the Tilson Award exclusively for defensemen ? If so, that would disqualify some players listed above, as candidates.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the Tilson Award exclusively for defensemen ? If so, that would disqualify some players listed above, as candidates.

Tilson is Most Outstanding Player
Kaminsky is Most Outstanding Defenseman

To me, Mintyukov wins the Kaminsky. DiVincentiis will win the Rutherford. I’m not too sure who gets the Tilson. In many cases, it is a high profile player that starred with Team Canada but there really wasn’t a player this year in the OHL that truly fits that profile.

The 67’s pretty much ran away with the League but don’t have a player in the top 10 scorIng. I don‘t think they can fall back on that by giving it to their best player. Their two best players are the guys they traded for so….

Maggio leads the league in scoring but as an OA not significantly in the lead, it would be tough to go in that direction.

Voit doesn’t have nearly enough goals to take it.

I could potentially see one of DiVincentiis or Mintyukov doubling up and winning the Tilson. May be a bit of a stretch but possible.

No one really stands out as the obvious choice.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Tilson is Most Outstanding Player
Kaminsky is Most Outstanding Defenseman

To me, Mintyukov wins the Kaminsky. DiVincentiis will win the Rutherford. I’m not too sure who gets the Tilson. In many cases, it is a high profile player that starred with Team Canada but there really wasn’t a player this year in the OHL that truly fits that profile.

The 67’s pretty much ran away with the League but don’t have a player in the top 10 scorIng. I don‘t think they can fall back on that by giving it to their best player. Their two best players are the guys they traded for so….

Maggio leads the league in scoring but as an OA not significantly in the lead, it would be tough to go in that direction.

Voit doesn’t have nearly enough goals to take it.

I could potentially see one of DiVincentiis or Mintyukov doubling up and winning the Tilson. May be a bit of a stretch but possible.

No one really stands out as the obvious choice.
Thanks for the clarification, I stand corrected.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It has to be Maggio in my opinion. He is the leading scorer in both points and goals on the best team in the west. Of his 53 goals, only 3 are with the man advantage. Just ridiculous numbers
Maggio deserves OA player of the year imo, but it’s closer than you might think. Burke scored 50 in 56 games, Maggio 54 in 66. Maggio 1.68 pts/g, Morrison 1.68, Vierling 1.58.
I don’t know all the criteria for outstanding player and defenceman, but one really stands out; Clarke 1.97 pts/g & +1.29/g vs Mintyukov 1.28 & +0.478

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Maggio deserves OA player of the year imo, but it’s closer than you might think. Burke scored 50 in 56 games, Maggio 54 in 66. Maggio 1.68 pts/g, Morrison 1.68, Vierling 1.58.
I don’t know all the criteria for outstanding player and defenceman, but one really stands out; Clarke 1.97 pts/g & +1.29/g vs Mintyukov 1.28 & +0.478

One thing about Mintyukov is he pretty much single handedly put Saginaw in 1st place in the West through the first half. Then he contributed to the 67’s finishing with a 10 point lead on the league.

I agree about Clarke’s numbers in a half season and they are stellar but it is just a half season.

DiVin has also been stellar all season. 36-9-2 2.33 and .919%. Those numbers stand up if put against all time best OHL numbers.

I have a hard time putting a player up against either of those two guys for the Tilson. Not one forward truly stands out based on performance or reputation.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
One thing about Mintyukov is he pretty much single handedly put Saginaw in 1st place in the West through the first half. Then he contributed to the 67’s finishing with a 10 point lead on the league.

I agree about Clarke’s numbers in a half season and they are stellar but it is just a half season.
I’m not all sure Mintyukov was more of a contributor in WAR (more of an argument for MVP than most outstanding) than Clarke.
In a half season with Clarke, Hache, and some with Savard; the colts improved by ~0.100.
If the ‘67s W% went up with Morrison & Mintyukov, it was not by a lot. Saginaw fell off an insignificant amount with Bloom & Hislop out and Haight in. In a half season without Mintyukov; the spirit dropped ~0.075?
DiVin has also been stellar all season. 36-9-2 2.33 and .919%. Those numbers stand up if put against all time best OHL numbers.

I have a hard time putting a player up against either of those two guys for the Tilson. Not one forward truly stands out based on performance or reputation.
DiVincentis’ stats are impressive, certainly worthy of the top goaltender award. Outstanding might better describe the Battalion with a lead. A single loss all season when leading at any point in the second period.

I would be comfortable nominating Lombardi for the Red Tilson.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I’m not all sure Mintyukov was more of a contributor in WAR (more of an argument for MVP than most outstanding) than Clarke.
In a half season with Clarke, Hache, and some with Savard; the colts improved by ~0.100.
If the ‘67s W% went up with Morrison & Mintyukov, it was not by a lot. Saginaw fell off an insignificant amount with Bloom & Hislop out and Haight in. In a half season without Mintyukov; the spirit dropped ~0.075?

DiVincentis’ stats are impressive, certainly worthy of the top goaltender award. Outstanding might better describe the Battalion with a lead. A single loss all season when leading at any point in the second period.

I would be comfortable nominating Lombardi for the Red Tilson.
Regarding the Battalion with a lead and their record,Windsor the last 2 seasons are 70-0-1-1 when leading after 2 periods
34-0-0-1 this season and 36-0-1-0 last season.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Regarding the Battalion with a lead and their record,Windsor the last 2 seasons are 70-0-1-1 when leading after 2 periods
34-0-0-1 this season and 36-0-1-0 last season.
Excellent, truly. Not that good, but historically most teams have good records when leading after two.
A single loss when leading at any point in the second, that’s different.

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
Burke had 23 PPG, wasn't even the leading scorer on his team (Voit had 23 more points). Maggio has 35 more points then the next best on his own team). Maggio has the second best +/- in the league (I know this doesnt mean much but means something). His team won the West. To me he's a lock but I could see an argument for Lombardi given what he's meant for his team and how well they finished despite not having nearly as good of a roster as most team in the west, on paper.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Only comparable games wise off the top of my head is when Thomas Chabot won it in the QMJHL in 2016/17 after only playing 35 games.

Has Clarke been the best defender? Without a doubt yes.

BUT Pavel Mintyukov is having one hell of a season also. If he was eliminated from the equation, then I think Clarke wins it, but with Mintyukov playing the full season and having a hell of a year also - Clarke falls short.
John Tucker won in 1984-84 playing only 39 games for the Kitchener Rangers scoring 40 G and 60 A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad