Shoot (high/low) or Deke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
(Right handed shot)

If I'm coming down the left wing I always shoot, if I'm coming down the right wing I always do the Simon Gagne deke (basically just pull the puck back as if to shoot near side, then a quick deke to the far post at the last second.) I almost always beat the goalie to the post, but I have a hard time finishing it because of my limited skill :cry:

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
well coming down all alone on the goalie, it all depends on how fast Im comin down and how the goalie's positioned I always fake a shot if he commits than I'll quickly roof it right side, and if he doesn't i'll either fire it 5 hole.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I never really decide until I'm one on one with the goalie and am about to make my move.

Normally, I wait for the goalie to make the first move, and if I have to, I'll make him make the first move (Brings ya back to the Mighty Ducks days, eh?)

My favourite deke is to pull to the backhand(right handed shot), then slide it over to my forehand, and as he is sliding over to compensate a little hole **ALWAYS** opens as he's pushing over due to him thinking i'm sliding in the corner, and as the little hole opens up I slide it right in between the legs along the ice.

It almost always works, as the goalie is caught out of positions when doing it.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Le Golie said:
Jeez man, you should spend the warmup worrying about warming up. Watching a goalie in warmup is usually useless, they don't play like they play in a game - at least I don't. Once I start sweating I just spend most of the warmup standing up using my legs and arms on a reflex only basis just to get my muscle quickness going. For a few minutes at the end of warmup I switch and go all out flopping around to get loose and get the heart rate up. Once the game starts I play a completely different style.

Damn!!! I hope I never play against you......I'll never score.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm a goalie in ice, but the best thing I see when i'm out there is go high on a butterfly goalie, but if you deke on a standup goalie, they're done everytime. I play out in inline though, and last game we had 5 shots against a standup goalie, and scored 4 of them.. :)

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I had a killer release so halfway through a miraculous deke I'd always shift and blast out a wrister through the five hole.

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
DisgruntledHawkFan said:
As a goalie, I'd prefer a player to deke ten out of ten times. I play a stand up style, and low shots glove side are my one major weakness.

I play more of a hybrid than anything (very hasek like with the amazing skill :) ) and would always rather see a deke. Worst shot to face ona breakaway is low glove becasue I keep my glove high to take it away.

Most players will still try to go high glove and hit me without me even having to move.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
I loved when guys would throw dekes at me because 99% of the time it meant they were going 5-hole, so I'd just pretend I was following the puck but I'd really lie in wait for the stuff shot that was sure to come. The faster they deked, the more likely it was going 5-hole.

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
I used to think that Datsyuk-ian dekes were the only ways to score on breakaways, until I watched the Mario Lemieux Show video. Mario scored 95% of his breakaways on one of three moves. Either he roofed a wristed top right, made a simple deke and slid it between the legs, or used his reach and went to the backhand. Nothing was ever too fancy.

I do like to use the Datsyuk move that he used on Turco but I like to go five-hole instead. Most of the time, I'll just split a goalie's legs open and go five hole.

If I'm feeling really lucky, I'll do my Zhamnov/Bure combination move. Carry the puck up and cut across the slot to my right (righty shot), deke to the backhand, drop the puck on the backhand to my right skate and then kick the puck back to my stick, where I'll hold onto it with just my left (top) hand and tap it in. It looks like the Zhamnov one-hand goal, but with the Bure kick to the blade move. It's pretty cool; works more often than you'd think if you can actually pull it off.

It really all depends on how the goalie is playing me.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Hard and right along the ice or a simple shoulder fake and right along the ice because the goalie will always think that you will try to shoot top shelf or show off by doing something stupid with your deke.

Actually, unless the golie is lying on the ground, I'll always go low with every shot because I believe that it is harder for a goalie to go down instead of stay standing. Also, if you dont score with a shot right along the ice, the goalie will give up a rebound 75% of the time, especially in minor hockey.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
Approach from slightly off to the left. Toe drag and give him a head/shoulder fake to drop him and fire one into the top left corner on the shortside. Never fails with beer league goalies the first time they see you. Usually works the second and third too.

Or go flying down the slot as fast as you can and see who blinks first. If he makes the first move go top shelf to the far corner. If he doesn't, deke to your backhand and toss it over him when he lunges over to make the stop. Or hit him 5 hole when he goes to move.

It's all really a judgement call you can make with lots of practice. You start to get instincts for it. Not always good instincts, but instincts still.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

I'm a left handed shot... so what I do is always come at the goalie a little from the right. If the goalie doesn't angle himself properly, I always shoot. If he does angle himself properly, I try to go across the crease (I saw Reasoner do this once)... since he has to go across the crease too, his legs will open up and you just stuff the puck in.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Wow, it's been such a long time since I played... and it was roller hockey (Good ol' Southern California).

I usually would shoot high. I wasn't a fast skater, so I never had many breakaways. Even when I had a penalty shot/shootout, I would be able to wrist one past the goalie.

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
High stick side.....or eles I'll do a really fancy deke...i once did 1 where i spun(accidently) and was behind the goalie with a open net.....then i ran into the crossbar..ow!

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
as a former tendy i'd prefer people deke as well.. i played a low crouch with my gloves high and was pretty usually clutch on stopping breakaways.. but yeah against a butterfly goalie if you can come in down a wing and cut in.. you'll usually be able to catch them going side to side and snipe it top cheese on the other side..

ToothlessAggression

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
When I was a goalie, I prefered them to deke or take a low shot. I was a stand up goalie but I had crazy fast legs and was good at closing all my holes. I had a terrible glove hand so if they went top right (shooters perspective) I was usually screwed.

Ironically, if a goalie gives me any room at all top right I'll hit it nine times out of ten. I have a really hard wrist shot, though it is very unaccurate, the only spot I hit consistently is top right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->