Shocking Tyler Wright stat

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Eh, if you accept you are not smarter than everyone else and go chalk you've got Larkin & Vilardi as top 2 centers and Chychrun + this year's #1 as your top 2 dmen. That's a really good base for a team that will be decent in 3-5 years. Instead we've got a bunch of projects who are not trending well. Rasmussen isn't in the top 50 of even strength point production in a weak league.

I get that for some Holland can do no wrong despite the fact we're one of the worst teams in the league. I get he deserves the benefit of the doubt at all times. I simply don't agree with that at all. This is definitely the case with regard to our drafting under Tyler Wright. Lots of people felt the Holland plan would prevent us from having to rebuild. Recent history hasn't been very kind to them.

Enough with the hyperbole and personal jabs. Just because someone like's a move that Holland makes does not mean that they feel Holland can do no wrong. Rather then try to group people as pro Holland or anti Holland, can't we just assess each move and analyse it based on the move its self. Saying you would rather have Chowolski/Hronek instead of Chychrun, or saying that you like some of our prospects does not mean you are a Holland slappy. This is why I don't even like discussing Holland, people just become so over the top.

The reality, Holland has made some good moves in recent years, he has made some bad moves. You would think we could all agree on that.

We all get it, you hate Holland. Moving on.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I actually like what Ken Holland has done the past 2 years. And I get why he's signed the Helm's, Abdelkader's, Daley's and Nielson's of the NHL. And that is to help alleviate pressure off the young guns.

When you have players like Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom on the team, you don't tank for a rebuild. You keep pushing. Datsyuk's only been gone 2 freaking years... and the rebuild has since begun.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I actually like what Ken Holland has done the past 2 years. And I get why he's signed the Helm's, Abdelkader's, Daley's and Nielson's of the NHL. And that is to help alleviate pressure off the young guns.

When you have players like Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom on the team, you don't tank for a rebuild. You keep pushing. Datsyuk's only been gone 2 freaking years... and the rebuild has since begun.

Signing Helm and Nielsen and Abdelkader - 3 guys who don't produce, does nothing to alleviate the pressure on young guns.

All it did is give a weak coach more excuses to play mediocre, going-nowhere veterans.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The forwards Wrights drafts in rounds 2-7 are concerning, and it used to be our bread and butter. He needs to diversify his portfolio. The odds of you getting a Kucherov/Point type break-out player when you have a thing for drafting big grinders is low. He needs to step outside his comfort zone more often.

Wright has done good at this with the defenseman so far, so I don’t get why we don’t do it at forward. I suppose he may have came in at a time when the org was stressing getting bigger and more physical. But Tatar is gone now, and Nyquist will be following shortly maybe. We need some skilled players. Anxious to see how we do with that this year, hopefully it’s actually a priority like they have said it was.

I understood they try to draft players in a different kind of "waves". First comes in the size and character, then the skill follows on later years. The character environment pushes those skill guys.

If the skill players come last, that "1st wave core" will keep the team on the bottom for the first years, and this will cause a lot of chances to draft high. Then, at 2nd wave, the character core is a little bit older and real carrying skill superstars will enter in, and the team is set for a new rise.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Eh, if you accept you are not smarter than everyone else and go chalk you've got Larkin & Vilardi as top 2 centers and Chychrun + this year's #1 as your top 2 dmen. That's a really good base for a team that will be decent in 3-5 years. Instead we've got a bunch of projects who are not trending well. Rasmussen isn't in the top 50 of even strength point production in a weak league.
I find it pretty clear you don't really know what you're talking about and you're only out to bash Holland even if it makes no sense.

Vilardi: Hardly a lock to even be an NHL Center (and didn't drop because he couldn't put up points in juniors)
Chychrun: Trending well?
Cholowski and Hronek: Not trending well?

I mean.. it's entirely realistic that our picks turn out to be busts.. but Hronek's rookie AHL season is not what I'd consider trending poorly. Cholowski's numbers are nothing to write home about but he's earning a lot of praise with his play and is definitely a legit prospect.
Rasmussen is doing well. Not killing it numbers wise but I believe he has the highest PPG on his team, his team just doesn't seem to be the kind of offensive superpower many other juniors teams are.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I'm not talking about those players, I am talking about Svechnikov. I am not going to deem a guy a success or a fail when he has played 7 NHL games and is 21 years old.

Regarding the section I italicized, I agree with this for the most part and there is nothing wrong with saying that Svechnikov has shown some red flags so far in his pro career. The point I am making is that fans have a tendency of kicking a player to the curb if he isn't looking like a stud right off the bat. Plenty of players take time to develop.

Saying "its too early to judge" is a way to avoid reality seems to me like trying to create a false narrative in an effort to come across like a "realist" in a way to justify your own criticism. If we are truly being realistic to where Svechnikov is right now, I would say we has so far disappointed, but still has plenty of upside. Lets give him a chance to play more then 7 games before we deem him a failure.
Why should we only consider NHL games? Svechnikov has 22 points in 52 AHL games this year and 85 points in 145 AHL games the past two years. I would guess if we took a sample of players with comparable numbers in their cumulative age 20 and 21 seasons the results wouldn't indicate a ton of upside. Why do we think Svechnikov's odds of success are higher than those players?

You keep saying that plenty of players take time to develop without any support to that claim. That statement may be true for the middle and bottom of the roster players, but those guys barely move the needle in terms of winning and losing in the NHL. If Svechnikov becomes one of those guys, who cares? They are easily replaceable and do nothing to solve the Red Wings' lack high-end talent. The reality is that the true difference makers, the guys who actually matter in terms of achieving and sustaining success in the NHL, generally establish themselves quickly. Look at the point leaders among forwards this year: the vast majority of them were already established as quality NHLers by age 21, and most of the ones who weren't were still putting up more impressive seasons than Svechnikov's .42 points per game in the AHL.

Perhaps we're just defining success differently here. To me, the difference between Svechnikov becoming a 3rd line NHLer or being a career AHLer is basically negligible in terms of impacting the Red Wings' future chances of success. Finding 3rd liners extremely easy and their impact on the game is fairly small. So yes, while its far too early to close the book on Svechnikov establishing himself in the NHL, that's not the bar I'm using to judge him. The Red Wings' ability to turn back into a perennial cup contender is going to hinge on one thing: finding high-end talent to build around, and the odds of Svechnikov being a solution in that regard should be considered low at this point.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Oh this game? Literally every team has made draft picks where better players emerged in later rounds/picks.
You completely missed my point. I am not criticizing the Red Wings here; I completely agree that no team achieves anywhere close to 100% efficiency in the draft. All you had to do was read the next sentence of my post and my point would have been clear.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why should we only consider NHL games? Svechnikov has 22 points in 52 AHL games this year and 85 points in 145 AHL games the past two years. I would guess if we took a sample of players with comparable numbers in their cumulative age 20 and 21 seasons the results wouldn't indicate a ton of upside. Why do we think Svechnikov's odds of success are higher than those players?

You keep saying that plenty of players take time to develop without any support to that claim. That statement may be true for the middle and bottom of the roster players, but those guys barely move the needle in terms of winning and losing in the NHL. If Svechnikov becomes one of those guys, who cares? They are easily replaceable and do nothing to solve the Red Wings' lack high-end talent. The reality is that the true difference makers, the guys who actually matter in terms of achieving and sustaining success in the NHL, generally establish themselves quickly. Look at the point leaders among forwards this year: the vast majority of them were already established as quality NHLers by age 21, and most of the ones who weren't were still putting up more impressive seasons than Svechnikov's .42 points per game in the AHL.

Perhaps we're just defining success differently here. To me, the difference between Svechnikov becoming a 3rd line NHLer or being a career AHLer is basically negligible in terms of impacting the Red Wings' future chances of success. Finding 3rd liners extremely easy and their impact on the game is fairly small. So yes, while its far too early to close the book on Svechnikov establishing himself in the NHL, that's not the bar I'm using to judge him. The Red Wings' ability to turn back into a perennial cup contender is going to hinge on one thing: finding high-end talent to build around, and the odds of Svechnikov being a solution in that regard should be considered low at this point.
If every pick that isn’t a superstar is bad, all scouts would be fired every other draft. At #19 why do we expect a star player? You always hope for a steal but it doesn’t mean getting an average or slightly above average return on a pick is bad.

Also if finding good 3rd liners was ”extremely easy” you wouldn’t have teams that struggle for decades because they can’t find depth (Edmonton/AZ/Buf/etc). Simply getting actual NHL talent is worth a lot in the draft. The stars you will get eventually, either through luck or by getting high picks. Depth is where actual skill in drafting shows.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Oh no not this again

You don't need to tank to draft elite players.. .. What do you expect outside the top 3, elite players?

The draft isn' the only way to build a core ya know... Well come on the league has changed, star players dont hit free agency and teams don't trade top players for depth players...

Flip flop
Flip flop
Flip flop
Flip flop

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Even for HF standards, I think this thread is a little premature.

Larkin is also Wrights only pick to jump directly to the NHL after being drafted. Of the 27 other picks under Wrights eye, Svechnikov is the only one where an argument can be made that he deserved more than the handful of NHL games that he's gotten so far.

And I could care less how we stack up with the rest of the league.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

First Bold: As far as him having higher odds of success compared to other players, I dont have those stats in front of me, so I can't really comment. As far as why one could think that he would show more moving forward and whats skewing his stats right now, the obvious answer to me would be injury.

Svechnikov didnt have a bad rookie season in the AHL scoring 51 Points in 74 Games, and 12 Points in 19 Playoff games, its this year where he has really played poorly with 22 Points in 52 Games. But, if you break it down further its pretty clear his injury to start the season effected him:

Oct- 5GP - 1 Point
Nov- 10 GP - 3 Points
Dec- 14 GP - 4 Points

Jan- 11 GP - 6 Points
Feb- 10 GP - 7 Points
Mar- 2 GP - 1 Point

These month by month stats clearly show that he has gotten better as the season went on. He had a VERY slow start scoring 8 Points in his first 29 games (2017). Then in his next 23 games (2018) he scored 14 Points. It makes sense that he played poorly because he was recovering from an injury.

Second Bold: Sorry I thought it was just common knowledge that this was a thing. A few examples of the top of my head:
When Zetterberg was 21/22 he scored 32 Points in 48 games in the SHL. Not exactly "tearing it up".
Datsyuk around the same age in 2001 playing for Ak Bars Kazan scored 27 Points 42 games.
Cory Perry in 2007 (21 years old) scrored 44 Points in 82 games with the Ducks. Those are good numbers, but at the time didnt look like he was a future hart winner.
In 2000 Martin St. Louis scored 18 points in 56 games for the Flames (at age 25) and he got cut, we all know what we became.

These are the first 4 four players I thought of, it happens all the time that guys develop late. Now please do not misinterpret this, I AM NOT SAYING that Svechnikov is going to turn out even close to any of these 4, my point is simply that calling him a bust is pre-mature.

Third Bold: Agreed for the most part. If your gauge for success is solely based on the probability of him becoming elite, then you are likely right. My hope for Svechnikov is that he can turn into a legit top 6 player, I dont see him ever being a top 3 guy.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I get to a small degree what you are saying, but he didnt need to sign all of them. Each contract in a bubble is not horrible, but collectively they are bad deals.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Oh no not this again

You don't need to tank to draft elite players.. .. What do you expect outside the top 3, elite players?

The draft isn' the only way to build a core ya know... Well come on the league has changed, star players dont hit free agency and teams don't trade top players for depth players...

Flip flop
Flip flop
Flip flop
Flip flop
Maybe don’t attribute wildly different opinions from different posters to all belong to individual posters just because you lump them together in your imaginary ”pro Holland” grouping?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What?

Who said anything like that.
Flip flop generally means people changing opinions or arguments to fit the situation. Who is doing that?

Pro-tip: use the quote-function to get responses that are more specific. Without it, it can look like you’re responding to anyone and everyone.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Flip flop generally means people changing opinions or arguments to fit the situation. Who is doing that?

Pro-tip: use the quote-function to get responses that are more specific. Without it, it can look like you’re responding to anyone and everyone.

What i said us 100% correct

Those who tend to support Holland have constantly flip flopped on their immediate opinions to suit Holland's narrative just as I chronicled

In the end they look silly

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What i said us 100% correct

Those who tend to support Holland have constantly flip flopped on their immediate opinions to suit Holland's narrative just as I chronicled

In the end they look silly

This is exactly the type of thing I was talking about in my comment below. To some you are "pro Holland" or "anti Holland". Anytime people take opinions to the extreme, bias's creep in and it no longer becomes a logical conversation.

Enough with the hyperbole and personal jabs. Just because someone like's a move that Holland makes does not mean that they feel Holland can do no wrong. Rather then try to group people as pro Holland or anti Holland, can't we just assess each move and analyse it based on the move its self. Saying you would rather have Chowolski/Hronek instead of Chychrun, or saying that you like some of our prospects does not mean you are a Holland slappy. This is why I don't even like discussing Holland, people just become so over the top.

The reality, Holland has made some good moves in recent years, he has made some bad moves. You would think we could all agree on that.

We all get it, you hate Holland. Moving on.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This is exactly the type of thing I was talking about in my comment below. To some you are "pro Holland" or "anti Holland". Anytime people take opinions to the extreme, bias's creep in and it no longer becomes a logical conversation.

While I understand what you're saying it is hard to have a honest discussion when the goal posts are constantly moved around.

Example

If you feel Holland's approach is right and you don' need to draft high to draft elite talent, don't turn around and say what do you expect drafting so low

You cant can't have it both ways

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I don't think it's fair to judge him on just a couple of years in Detroit. But looking back to his time in Columbus, I'm not a big fan of his work there, either. His draft style is exactly the opposite of what Detroit needs right now. I think the only pick of his I've liked has been Wennberg.
Boone Jenner was a good choice too.

While a bit alarming, I do remember that if we wern’t getting Larkin they were looking at Pasta, which was a good sign as well

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Boone Jenner was a good choice too.

While a bit alarming, I do remember that if we wern’t getting Larkin they were looking at Pasta, which was a good sign as well

He was promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting in August of 2011. So his first draft in charge was the following year, 2012.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
While I understand what you're saying it is hard to have a honest discussion when the goal posts are constantly moved around.

Example

If you feel Holland's approach is right and you don' need to draft high to draft elite talent, don't turn around and say what do you expect drafting so low

Sure some people may do this, but not everyone that defends a specific move is doing what you are accusing people of.

As far as Holland's approach, its not as simple as "his approach is wrong" "his approach is right".

When it comes to Holland's moves post 2009, the opinions vary. It ranges from:
Everything Holland has done has been right.
Nothing Holland has done has been right.
Some things were right, some things were wrong.
Some were happy with his approach post streak ending, not happy pre streak ending
Some are not happy post streak ending, were happy before the streak.

Do you see what I mean?

Like I said before, anyone that takes this type of conversation to the extreme either way, typically comes across silly.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He was promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting in August of 2011. So his first draft in charge was the following year, 2012.

I think that 2012 draft is the only one Wright was in charge. Kekäläinen took the lead just before 2013. On those Columbus videos Kekäläinen operates the draft 100%.

Imo, that 2012 is a pretty decent draft. 2nd overall Murray has busted, but not because of the pick, mostly cause of injuries.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-murrays-injury-history-cause-for-concern/

Then they obviously had a serious need for goalies, by taking 2 of them on next rounds.

Josh Anderson is a great pick at 4th round. Guy has scored 18 goals at this season, more than Tatar for example.

5th rounder was traded, so he only had 6 picks.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Example

More than likely you’re lumping different opinions together in a ”pro Holland” folder. For me personally I always argued it was POSSIBLE to find talent outside the top 10, but never that it should be the expectation. With Larkin I argue that we beat the odds. With Mantha we did really well. I think we can really have something in Cholowski and Hronek. But you can’t say that a pick is bad just because it isn’t a massive steal. Nor is it conflicting opinions to say that talent can be found anywhere in the draft but is much easier and much likelier to be found if you have high picks and extra picks. Like we have this year.

Reactions: kliq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad