Shipachyov Suspended (Update v3: He Gone)

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I would like to hear from the player himself before making the judgment, something is very weird about this situation

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I would like to hear from the player himself before making the judgment, something is very weird about this situation
Exactly.

If you're taking everything at face value right now, you have to do so assuming either Vadim or McPhee are complete morons.

I'd like to think neither of them are morons and that there's something in the middle that's happening.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He will most likely go back to Russia. After his refusal to play in the AHL nobody will trade for him and his $4.5m cap hit.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Exactly.

If you're taking everything at face value right now, you have to do so assuming either Vadim or McPhee are complete morons.

I'd like to think neither of them are morons and that there's something in the middle that's happening.

I'm guessing he was given permission to negotiate a contract with a KHL team (that probably exceeds the ~6.5M remaining over two years), and that he's found a taker, so the team and player agreed to mutually terminate the NHL contract.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
More room for Glass, Suzuki and (tdl acquisition). And let's not forget Pirri.

And here's something that I know would get more than a few chuckles on the main board: that forward group was deep in camp. Not necessarily deep in talent, but deep in NHL players. Rather, NHL players you wouldn't necessarily give away (waive).

based off their preseason Tuch, Hyka, Ship and Pulkkinen deserved to be on an opening roster IMO. Though as they say, deserve's got nothin to do with it.

Last edited:

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Glad the saga is over. Now both sides can move forward and hopefully be successful.
Obviously there was something about his game that they didn’t like.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
More room for Glass, Suzuki and (tdl acquisition). And let's not forget Pirri.

And here's something that I know would get more than a few chuckles on the main board: that forward group was deep in camp. Not necessarily deep in talent, but deep in NHL players. Rather, NHL players you wouldn't necessarily give away (waive).

based off their preseason Tuch, Hyka, Ship and Pulkkinen deserved to be on an opening roster IMO. Though as they say, deserve's got nothin to do with it.

And of those four, Ship had the most underwhelming performance in preseason. I think the naysayers and non-VGK fans just can't seem to wrap their head around the idea that a ragtag team made up of a bunch of castoffs from other teams actually had 13 forwards who were better than a 30-year-old guy who'd never played on the smaller North American ice surface. Is that SO hard to imagine?

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
I know Vadim has taken a lot of critism from VGK fans, and hat his attitude and effort has not helped the situation one bit. But I find it kinda ridiculous that you would bring in a Russian national player who last season was one of the best players outside the NHL and only give him 3 games with about 10 minutes of ice time outside of preseason.

The guy had never played on smaller ice outside I think a few WC games. He deserved more time and for GMGM to spend that amount of money on him and cut ties that quickly is ridiculous in my mind and can have somewhat of an effect on future free agents considerations on signing here, maybe not a huge factor but still.

Again Ship didn't seem to have the best attitude in this situation, but how he was treated was very poorly. It just boggles me that if you spent that much money on him you would not be prepared to avoid getting into this situation from the start. Talented hockey player that will probably be quickly forgotten from majority of hockey fans outside of Russia because of this

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I know Vadim has taken a lot of critism from VGK fans, and hat his attitude and effort has not helped the situation one bit. But I find it kinda ridiculous that you would bring in a Russian national player who last season was one of the best players outside the NHL and only give him 3 games with about 10 minutes of ice time outside of preseason.

The guy had never played on smaller ice outside I think a few WC games. He deserved more time and for GMGM to spend that amount of money on him and cut ties that quickly is ridiculous in my mind and can have somewhat of an effect on future free agents considerations on signing here, maybe not a huge factor but still.

Again Ship didn't seem to have the best attitude in this situation, but how he was treated was very poorly. It just boggles me that if you spent that much money on him you would not be prepared to avoid getting into this situation from the start. Talented hockey player that will probably be quickly forgotten from majority of hockey fans outside of Russia because of this

Being waiver exempt played a part, so did probably winning. He had stuff he needed to work on and contract limits and winning meant they wanted to us the AHL for him to work on that instead of the NHL. Ship based on his KHL prestige probably expected to come in and be the big dog on a new team and that clearly wasn't the case. Instead of working on improving his weaknesses he chose to run home.

Scouts have seen him in the NHL and nobody is coming to get him.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Being waiver exempt played a part, so did probably winning. He had stuff he needed to work on and contract limits and winning meant they wanted to us the AHL for him to work on that instead of the NHL. Ship based on his KHL prestige probably expected to come in and be the big dog on a new team and that clearly wasn't the case. Instead of working on improving his weaknesses he chose to run home.

Scouts have seen him in the NHL and nobody is coming to get him.
There's also a locker room aspect to this.

Once you send him to the AHL for the second time after letting him come home the first, you've almost got to make him play at least a game with the Wolves just out of principle. At that point, it's all about management and whether you've got a cancer in the dressing room. Especially when you've got Tuch and Theodore sitting there who quietly ate the AHL bullet and played like pros while they were down there. Plus, they weren't getting paid NHL money to play AHL games like Shippy would have.

I'm sorry to see him go, but I guess it's over. For that, I'm glad.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
There's also a locker room aspect to this.

Once you send him to the AHL for the second time after letting him come home the first, you've almost got to make him play at least a game with the Wolves just out of principle. At that point, it's all about management and whether you've got a cancer in the dressing room. Especially when you've got Tuch and Theodore sitting there who quietly ate the AHL bullet and played like pros while they were down there. Plus, they weren't getting paid NHL money to play AHL games like Shippy would have.

I'm sorry to see him go, but I guess it's over. For that, I'm glad.

I agree with that as well. Vegas is essentially a team of 'rejects' their former teams did not feel were worthy of keeping. You can see that in their play on the ice.

Ship will go back to the KHL. They'll put up points, and then we'll see a second round of bashing from other fan bases with GMs who also passed on him.

Reactions: Sir Goose

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Ship to Russia!

5xudyg.gif

We hardly knew ye! (And you didn't seem like Knight material. And, oh yeah, it hurts but: We don't need you either!)

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
I get that he should of just gone down to the minors, but he left his wife he doesn't know English alone in Vegas. And he wouldn't have needed to be sent down if GMGM didn't take so many dman with no value and try to hold on to them.

Just saying he should have not been treated like this but it works for both parties that they go their separate ways and move on. After this it seems obvious that he was only meant to be here for his 2 years to help keep the team competitive while they build through the draft.

With the hot start I guess they don't feel the need to keep him, but not to take anything away VGK have the least amount of shots for per game in the league and allow the 8th most and that's before this Islanders game (they out shot them anyways). This seems to have potential to a reality check. Which IMO is good, fail for lottery pick to try and get Rasmus Dahlin!

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I get that he should of just gone down to the minors, but he left his wife he doesn't know English alone in Vegas. And he wouldn't have needed to be sent down if GMGM didn't take so many dman with no value and try to hold on to them.

Just saying he should have not been treated like this but it works for both parties that they go their separate ways and move on. After this it seems obvious that he was only meant to be here for his 2 years to help keep the team competitive while they build through the draft.

With the hot start I guess they don't feel the need to keep him, but not to take anything away VGK have the least amount of shots for per game in the league and allow the 8th most and that's before this Islanders game (they out shot them anyways). This seems to have potential to a reality check. Which IMO is good, fail for lottery pick to try and get Rasmus Dahlin!

They kept Tuch up and just recalled Theodore. His play got him sent down.

Esteban Tornado

Mar 28, 2014
Las Vegas
Lets see. You sign a fat contract, dont practice hard, dont produce in games, have an attitude about getting sent to the minors. And we are wondering why he’s gone. What am I missing?

jellyfish

Oct 19, 2011
From his perspective, he was signed as a marquee signing. He has no interest in going to play AHL because someone couldnt do the job of sorting the rosters. You think he gives a f**k what waivers, paper transactions or fixing books? Nope, he wants to play hockey. VGK had a top class player on their roster, and didn't look after him. He moved his family and relocated to a country he doesnt speak the language of. Imagine this happened you in your job.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
From his perspective, he was signed as a marquee signing. He has no interest in going to play AHL because someone couldnt do the job of sorting the rosters. You think he gives a f**k what waivers, paper transactions or fixing books? Nope, he wants to play hockey. VGK had a top class player on their roster, and didn't look after him. He moved his family and relocated to a country he doesnt speak the language of. Imagine this happened you in your job.
I am just wondering whether he really knew what to expect. For 4.5mil you would assume he has at least learned something to be able to communicate in english. Lot of people saying his high salary was due to his waiver exempt status. Considering that there are not so many players comming even in better age and crushing NHL easily, I am just wondering what his agent predicted or told him before. Bringing your wife in the beginning of the season, notwithstanding she cant speak either, and expecting team will adapt to their relation seems also kind of weird to me.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
From his perspective, he was signed as a marquee signing. He has no interest in going to play AHL because someone couldnt do the job of sorting the rosters. You think he gives a f**k what waivers, paper transactions or fixing books? Nope, he wants to play hockey.

He signed the rules according to the CBA.
There was a NTC in his contract first, but no NMC.
The NHL didn't except the NTC , also something his agent should have known in the first place.
Seems he didn't ask or get a NMC first, accepting playing AHL.

Signing rules but didn't follow them LOL
Cheating to get a signing bonus.
Nobody wants such donkeys.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Non-Knights fans, you are more than welcome here.

However, there's a place on literally every other board available for you to trash the organization and George McPhee. You don't have to be positive to post here, but you sure as hell don't get to come with trash talk one liners.

Intelligent discussion is welcome, even if it's negative. If you're in here just to trash talk, this is not where you're going to want to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->