Shipachyov bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Indeed, I'd like to be positive, but that looks like a bad case of mishandling and sends an awful message to foreign players like Gusev. Hopefully someone gets their head out of their ass and brings the player who signed here to be our no.1C up soon.

EDIT: Having said all this, if he gets called up soon and plays the rest of the 80 games we'll all be freaking out over nothing.

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
GMGM mishandled this badly from the get go. not sorting out the roster issues(that he created by getting 963 defenseman in the first place) earlier was a big mistake and led to broken promises to Ship. I imagine it is still a fixable situation if they get him recalled ASAP.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Ship AHL level player?
How the f can anyone know when he hasn't played 1 NHL game yet? Give the guy a fair chance no one sends a 4 million dollar player to he AHL without giving him a fair chance. Pre-season means absolutely nothing..

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ship AHL level player?

He looked to have the skillset of a 2nd line center to me. Doesn't shy away from contact, skates well, and used his linemates Smith and Marchessault effectively to cycle the puck down low.

I don't know, maybe the latest rumor is wrong and he's day-to-day with an injury?

Last edited:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I will defer to you about Dadonov.

If this is the same Dadonov, however, he had played with the Panthers 2009-2012 and North America longer before returning to the KHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96427

By the way, if you are from Russia, tell us how Ship looked there. I have no idea.

Shipachyov was outstanding. He was making things happen, top notch skating, smart passes, playmaking, you name it. Of course he was on a staked team and played on big ice but all in all he looked like an elite nr 1 Center on a best team in the world outside of North America.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Or it's not an issue. :scared:

I assume GMGM or somebody explained it to him that he's not going to the AHL long term and it's only a technicality. Yes, it sucks that he missed the inaugural game and may miss the first home game in our history, but if he plays around 80 games then it really isn't as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I assume GMGM or somebody explained it to him that he's not going to the AHL long term and it's only a technicality. Yes, it sucks that he missed the inaugural game and may miss the first home game in our history, but if he plays around 80 games then it really isn't as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

There are 80 RS games remaining in VGK season (as of today). So...??

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
There are 80 RS games remaining in VGK season (as of today). So...??

So if he plays 77 games it's around 80 and considered a full season. If he hasn't played a game by game ten something's going on. It looks bad because he was supposed to be our no.1 C, but he's one of the only contracts that can go down without going through waivers, and we're clearly showcasing players who are less important to us in the long run, that should be expected for an expansion team.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
So if he plays 77 games it's around 80 and considered a full season. If he hasn't played a game by game ten something's going on. It looks bad because he was supposed to be our no.1 C, but he's one of the only contracts that can go down without going through waivers, and we're clearly showcasing players who are less important to us in the long run, that should be expected for an expansion team.

This cannot be stressed enough. I had an idea after the expansion draft that Pulkkinen would be the only one to go through waivers, Theodore/Tuch would go to the AHL, and that Sbisa/McNabb/Garrison would get as much playing time as possible. I guess I'm just a bit surprised it actually happened, as I pictured Hunt going through waivers and Shippy staying up - I'm sure this will be resolved fairly soon, and I'm not even going to get into the idea of "hurt feelings" that so many fans instinctively assume is happening with Vadim.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm relaying a lot from tweets, and I'll include more later...

Apparently Ship didn't know what was going on and didn't understand the situation. He does now. Of course, GMGM is going to make it seem like it's less than it is, but it doesn't seem like a huge issue.

He will not play for Chicago. He's in Las Vegas now.

Reactions: Morrison

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'm relaying a lot from tweets, and I'll include more later...

Apparently Ship didn't know what was going on and didn't understand the situation. He does now. Of course, GMGM is going to make it seem like it's less than it is, but it doesn't seem like a huge issue.

He will not play for Chicago. He's in Las Vegas now.

So it's confirmed he's in LV? That's good news.

Reactions: Morrison

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The preseason top scorers are present AHLers Wong and Hyka. :groucho: Couldn't Ship have had ONE preseason game?

George McPhee is either a ninja GM (as I've wondered before) or a Mr. Bean and the laugh will be on us!

Part of me says repair the damage and get Shipper into the line-up. Another part says cut ties if wants to and use that $4 million per in a trade deadline acquisition (either take on a big contract to get a bluechipper or else double down on a great start and make a playoff push by getting a somewhat expensive guy from a nonplayoff positioned team).

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The preseason top scorers are present AHLers Wong and Hyka. :groucho: Couldn't Ship have had ONE preseason game?

George McPhee is either a ninja GM (as I've wondered before) or a Mr. Bean and the laugh will be on us!

He may be out of the line-up to prevent injury. It would suck for him to play in the AHL and get injured when he already has a spot on the NHL roster and doesn't really need to prove anything.

Everyone is already laughing at McPhee whether they understand what he's trying to accomplish or not. Every move he makes is going to be made fun of because of what they already think about him. It's pretty dumb, but a lot of people here hate the guy.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No Soundgarden, I LOVE the guy because I'm a longtime Caps fan who thinks he has made far more good moves than bad. So, not everyone is laughing at him. I never questioned any move he made in Vegas (not even sending Hyka down, whom I've hyped) until he picked up Malcolm Subban. But then it made sense because the Vegas goalie coach was huge on Subban and has been for a long time. I assumed Shipper was copasetic with the AHL assignment, especially since it seemed like a paper transfer with Shipper not actually showing up in Chicago. I didn't for a second think there was anything wrong with that.

The billionaire owner wants a competitive team right away but McPhee seemed to have convinced him to pump the brakes on that expectation, but with the early two wins on the road, it's hard to guess what kind of conversations are happening in McPhee's office (I imagine such hilarious scenarios as: "Bill wants you to trade for Matt Duchene or Sam Bennett on line one, Shipachyov wants to play in the home opener or be released to the KHL on line two").

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
No Soundgarden, I LOVE the guy because I'm a longtime Caps fan who thinks he has made far more good moves than bad. So, not everyone is laughing at him. I never questioned any move he made in Vegas (not even sending Hyka down, whom I've hyped) until he picked up Malcolm Subban. But then it made since because the Vegas goalie coach was huge on Subban and has been for a long time. I assumed Shipper was copasetic with the AHL assignment, especially since it seemed like a paper transfer with Shipper not actually showing up in Chicago. I didn't for a second think there was anything wrong with that.

Ok, maybe not everybody, but a lot of folks on the main boards sure do.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Seeing as how McPhee has mentioned this is not a performance thing, it's probably a good time to lock this bust thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad