NCAA: Sherrone Moore promoted to head coach at Michigan

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
IMG_8028.jpeg

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Michigan didn't have a lot of options. But Moore will be in the NFL with Jim again in 2-3 years or doing something else.

It's one thing to be Jim's assistant replacing him for a few games that really matter and winning those games, but it's an entirely different thing to replace him outright.

He will have the leash of Ryan Day from day 1 and less experience. He's f***ed. But he deserves the chance even if he regrets it.

Reactions: DaveG

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan didn't have a lot of options. But Moore will be in the NFL with Jim again in 2-3 years or doing something else.

It's one thing to be Jim's assistant replacing him for a few games that really matter and winning those games, but it's an entirely different thing to replace him outright.

He will have the leash of Ryan Day from day 1 and less experience. He's f***ed. But he deserves the chance even if he regrets it.
There’s not really much evidence that they explored any other options. Nor did they need to

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

There’s all kinds of coaches who would have jumped at the opportunity to be the HC at Michigan. They would have had all kinds of options.

But Moore deserved the job for what he did holding things together in a championship season.

I agree that he’s in a tough situation though. Impossible for Michigan to do any better than they did this year.

The offence will be decimated by graduations - - QB, RB, all five OLinemen and top WR are gone. A 7 or 8 win season is a very real possibility.

Reactions: DaveG

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
There’s not really much evidence that they explored any other options. Nor did they need to
There’s all kinds of coaches who would have jumped at the opportunity to be the HC at Michigan. They would have had all kinds of options.

But Moore deserved the job for what he did holding things together in a championship season.

I agree that he’s in a tough situation though. Impossible for Michigan to do any better than they did this year.

The offence will be decimated by graduations - - QB, RB, all five OLinemen and top WR are gone. A 7 or 8 win season is a very real possibility.
Fair enough on the options points. I just think it's going to be tough, unless he's consistently winning 10+ games a year and going deep in the expanded playoffs, his seat is going to be hot just like it was for Harbaugh before/while Harbaugh was winning. Tough crowd.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Ultimately we will see how Moore does, everyone speaks highly of him, and he certainly did out-coach Just for Men Jon Cooper in The Game this year. Also his offensive lines have been completely dominant, and not filled with 5 star recruits, this years line was one of the best I've seen, especially in run blocking.

I don't want to make this any kind of political discussion but the reality is, had Michigan went with someone like Brian Kelly, there would have been a lot of scrutiny from media and many alumni about not hiring a popular black assistant who had two Top-10 wins, including one over Ohio St. I don't want to discuss the merits of either side of that discussion, but the facts are it would have been something that the powers that be would have had to face from the media.

We will see what happens in the 30 day portal, Oregon is already being Oregon with three defensive players and one offensive player, which I'm sure you can guess who they are. If those guys don't take the Nike bag and return, I think that UM's defense will be one of the best in the country and keep them in any game, but the offense could have some serious issues.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Given the lateness of the HC change, it would not surprise me to see Michigan take a step back. New QB, almost all of the starters are going out for the draft. Lots of turnover for next season in 2024.

Michigan went heavy on the portal on the OL specifically. So, going to have an inexperienced group next season unless they continued dipping into the portal, but with the uncertainty at HC, I doubt most veteran starters were looking to make the jump to Michigan.

Should be about the development of the roster next season. Don't see them as a likely championship team. Question is whether he can rebuild it back up with a solid season. And whether the new starters show well enough under him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad