Injury Report: Sheppard - pre-training camp 2014

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I guess Sheppard's not going to be an option for center. Hurrah...but come back quick so Burish doesn't somehow manage to earn a spot.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
He just needs some Medi-gel.:sarcasm:

Would love it if Tierney would step up but I'd also like to see at least one good camp invite.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
I guess Sheppard's not going to be an option for center. Hurrah...but come back quick so Burish doesn't somehow manage to earn a spot.

I don't think judging Sheppard being a center for what...20 games is a fair assessment.

WOW HIS FACEOFF PERCENTAGE WAS TERRIBLE!
You do know players can improve right? Do you all remember how ass Jamie McGinn was? Because he was...ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't think judging Sheppard being a center for what...20 games is a fair assessment.

WOW HIS FACEOFF PERCENTAGE WAS TERRIBLE!
You do know players can improve right? Do you all remember how ass Jamie McGinn was? Because he was...ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

While I personally don't think that Shep's all that bad, I'd much much rather prefer that Hertl was at center.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Maybe I'm playing with fire, but I'm kinda happy about this. Not a fan of Shep and would love to see Tierney, Goldobin, Hamilton or hell even Tarasov get a shot.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Maybe I'm playing with fire, but I'm kinda happy about this. Not a fan of Shep and would love to see Tierney, Goldobin, Hamilton or hell even Tarasov get a shot.

Not happy but this allows the youngsters to step in and produce. I'd like to see the Sharks play the 4th line more during the regular season. Experiment with the younger guys. Get well soon Shepp.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
I was very happy that Sheppard finally had a breakthrough year, and appears to be on a better path than Torrey Mitchell.
That being said, yes give Hertl a center role because at the end of the day Sheps probably is not the guy SJ should rely on.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I'll never understand why people want to punish hertl with worse line mates and ice time, while a lot of those same people will put wingels in their top six to replace hertl. Ridiculous.

Outside of faceoffs, shep is a perfectly solid 3rd line center who was just starting to bump his game up after years of struggle. I for one feel bad for him if he misses any time and hope this little clean up doesn't hurt the confidence in his knee that I'm sure he's been working to have.

I'm all for a guy like tierney earning a spot however, and totally against hertl or pavs being forced into a third line role. We have plenty of bottom six players and prospects, we have exactly six top six forwards, I'm tired of trying to fix the bottom six by taking from the top six.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'll never understand why people want to punish hertl with worse line mates and ice time, while a lot of those same people will put wingels in their top six to replace hertl. Ridiculous.

Outside of faceoffs, shep is a perfectly solid 3rd line center who was just starting to bump his game up after years of struggle. I for one feel bad for him if he misses any time and hope this little clean up doesn't hurt the confidence in his knee that I'm sure he's been working to have.

I'm all for a guy like tierney earning a spot however, and totally against hertl or pavs being forced into a third line role. We have plenty of bottom six players and prospects, we have exactly six top six forwards, I'm tired of trying to fix the bottom six by taking from the top six.

Because moving him to center may allow him to grow as a player in the long run. It's not punishing him. It's giving him an opportunity to take on more responsibilities. And no, Sheppard was not a perfectly solid 3rd line center. He was routinely whooped in that role. He's a perfectly solid 4th liner...and actually a very good 4th liner. He wins those matchups and those shifts. He doesn't at the 3rd line level. He can certainly improve in that aspect. I don't want to make it sound like he's hopeless at that level but he has a lot of work ahead of him to be solid in that role.

The philosophy that top six players should be playing in the top six is a faulty one, imo. You disperse your talent in a manner that gets the best out of the most amount of players. If a top end talent can get more out of bottom sixers playing on the 3rd line whereas without a top end talent those bottom sixers tank, then you need to put that top end talent on the 3rd line. People, especially those within the organization, need to realize that depth in terms of spreading out your top end talent is what wins in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad